Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: new terrarium project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new terrarium project

I was inspired by Av's thread about his heli set up, particularly the self watering system. So this weekend I started thinking about how to incorporate it into a glass terrarium. So this is a spare 10g aquarium I had laying around.

I was a little worried about cutting holes in the glass for the tubing, but it turned out to be pretty easy. Dremmel makes a bit for that. So I cut 3 holes. One for the input from the pump, two for drainage. I hadn't planned from the beginning to have two drainage holes, but I had to reassess after a little poor planning. And it worked out for the best anyway.

Here's a couple of really bad pics...

The input line is the same size as both drain tubes together, so it was pretty easy using the flow control to find a nice equilibrium. The way it's set up now, it will keep the tank flooded to a 2" depth (give or take a little) indefinitely.

At this point, this tank is practice for a larger project I'm hoping to do in the future. But I'd like to be able to use it for smaller heli's or even for germination purposes if I can get the design nailed down.

So the next step is to figure out how best to keep the humidity high. I'm open to any ideas here. At this point, I'm planning to use a combination of plastic egg-crate and LFS with a small fan. This has proven to work for me based on the terrariums I have now, so there must be a way to adapt it.

Thanks for looking! As always, I'm open to any questions/concerns/feedback.
    Indeed. Most indeededly. Phillip J. Frye

My growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could keep a slew of pygmy dews in there for a long time. Looks like a fun project. What's the Dremel attachment you used called?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice xbox.....oh, and nice setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty cool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    You could keep a slew of pygmy dews in there for a long time. Looks like a fun project. What's the Dremel attachment you used called?
    I hadn't even thought of that... hmmm...
    I don't remember what it was called. It was basically a 1/4" hole saw. On the package it specified that it was for glass and tile. It actually came with a little bottle of lubricant. I also successfully used a diamond tip cutting tool, and a regular grinding stone. However they're a little more delicate of an operation, and I wasted the grinding stone... so I can say those ways work too, but they're far from ideal. the hole saw bit cost $25, but it was way easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliLover View Post
    Nice xbox.....oh, and nice setup
    LOL... that xbox is hooked up to a 6' movie screen and projector

and thanks!

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Thanks, Paul!
    Last edited by jbradt; 11-09-2011 at 05:10 PM.

My growlist.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on jumping in with both feet.... as you see it takes a bit of experimentation. You may even find that some variant of the system is what works best in your application...

You can put a flow control in the pump line to help you balance things if you need. Also, my pump has an adjustment on its inlet to do the same thing.

I hope you see it through, it has been an amazing simple solution for me. I cant express how much it has helped.

Does your tank drain like it should?

(FWIW.... 2x line diameter = 4x line area, 3x line diamter = 9x line area etc.)

Very nice work
    Av
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 11-09-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Congrats on jumping in with both feet.... as you see it takes a bit of experimentation. You may even find that some variant of the system is what works best in your application...

You can put a flow control in the pump line to help you balance things if you need. Also, my pump has an adjustment on its inlet to do the same thing.

I hope you see it through, it has been an amazing simple solution for me. I cant express how much it has helped.

Does your tank drain like it should?

Very nice work
    Av
    Thanks, Av. This has definitely been a good learning experience so far. I'm learning a ton that will help out later on. By flow control, do you mean like a ball valve type of set up, or something along those lines? My pump is 75 gallons (at max) but it has an adjustment on it. I'm not sure what the minimum volume is, but I'm not running much above that atm.

I'm definitely going to make it work. Just will need some time and testing before I'm willing to trust it with my heli's.

It actually drains really well. I had a problem in one test where the top tube had a lot of air bubbles left in it, so the water level got up much higher than normal; but other than that it's been perfect.

My growlist.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbradt View Post
    Thanks, Av. This has definitely been a good learning experience so far. I'm learning a ton that will help out later on. By flow control, do you mean like a ball valve type of set up, or something along those lines? My pump is 75 gallons (at max) but it has an adjustment on it. I'm not sure what the minimum volume is, but I'm not running much above that atm.

I'm definitely going to make it work. Just will need some time and testing before I'm willing to trust it with my heli's.

It actually drains really well. I had a problem in one test where the top tube had a lot of air bubbles left in it, so the water level got up much higher than normal; but other than that it's been perfect.
    yes, and no..... ball valves (and gate valves) are really meant for isolation not regulation (off or on, not somewhere in between)

What you really want is someting more like a needle valve, these give a fine touch to the regulation

If you cant find one, just hollar

IMHO a ten gallon tank would be more difficult to setup due to the smaller volumes at play.... if you get it working well then you will breeze through something larger

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast