What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass's GH

• #1,141
those are some nice looking plants!! great coloration in everything! That truncata x veitchii HL really looks promising... gonna be a lot of stripes

• #1,142
I may be able to dig some pics up from the first couple years of growing it..
And I'm moving my post to this fresh page, cause I'm OCD like that.

Hey Mass,
I just came across this thread a couple days ago and I really enjoyed going over it.
Incredible variety of beautiful plants -- great job!!!
I'll keep an eye out for new posts...
Cheers,
Paul

Well thank you.. Suppose I can cough up a few more pics for ya then.

EP original N. veitchii x lowii

a little retard pitcher from that same plant. Formed during acclimation to the new grow box..

N. lowii x truncata

EP original truncata x veitchii HL finally pitchering again after last year's fert burn..

BE N. x Trusmadiensis (clone 1) also outgrowing it's fert burn from last year. New BE N. villosa in the foreground..

dark clone of N. vogelii, pic of lightly colored clone coming soon..

SG N. lowii x ephippiata still chugging along..

N. truncata x ovata

same pitcher 1 week later..

N. veitchii x platychila. New BE N. platychila in the background..

EP original N. truncata x x Trusmadiensis

Cephalotus "German Giant"

Cephalotus "Czech Giant"

Cephalotus "Vigorous Clumping" about ready for it's first repot..

Cephalotus "Big Boy" after taking another round of pitcher cuttings.

clump of D. villosa (Serra de Ibitipoca, South East of Minas Gerais, SE Brazil) with D. spiralis pot mate.

D. hilaris finally starting to grow up..

• #1,143
those are some nice looking plants!! great coloration in everything! That truncata x veitchii HL really looks promising... gonna be a lot of stripes

Here's one I dug up.. this was spring of last year I believe.

• #1,144
Wow man! That truncata x TM is to die for! I can't wait to get my hands on one (hopefully) like that!

• #1,145
Mass, you convinced me that BE's hammys are FAR superior to AW's.

Nice plants!

• #1,146
They're so colorful, I'm gonna die!!!!!

• #1,147
Nice bunch of plants, Mass. N. vogelii is one of my favorites, and that D. villosa looks terrific!

For me, the BE N. villosa is much easier to grow than the Wistuba plant (killed after 2 years).

Cheers,
Paul

• #1,148
Mass, you convinced me that BE's hammys are FAR superior to AW's.

Nice plants!
don't get it they both look great to me,great pics mass,does one grow better for you mass?,i might have a chance to get a BE plant if this is the case but i think sometimes scarcity = value,do you prefer one to the other and if so why,sorry about the interrogation i was just considering getting a BE plant and wanted to know your thoughts,i already have an AW plant

Last edited:
  • #1,149
Thanks everyone.. I sincerely appreciate all of the comments and feedback.

does one grow better for you mass?
do you prefer one to the other and if so why?

In my experience growing both, the BE hamata seems to be far more tolerant and forgiving. It's just a stronger plant overall.. My AW hamata is 3 times the size of my BE, but doesn't give any room for error with growing conditions. So needless to say, the BE hamata obviously grows "better/easier" in that aspect.
I prefer all of my pure species to be BE plants simply because they're stronger, and (IMO) look nicer. But when it comes to the toothy stuff like hamata, macrophylla, villosa, etc.. I grow AW, BE, and SG plants just because of the pleasant visual differences.
Now when it comes to hybrids.. EP is the only way to go IMO.

• #1,150
don't get it they both look great to me,great pics mass,does one grow better for you mass?,i might have a chance to get a BE plant if this is the case but i think sometimes scarcity = value,do you prefer one to the other and if so why,sorry about the interrogation i was just considering getting a BE plant and wanted to know your thoughts,i already have an AW plant

Corky, compare the peristome. I'm more partial to the almost edwardsiana-like teeth of the BE plant. The AW plant looks almost like N. ovata.

BE N. hamata

AW N. hamata

• #1,151
thanks both,looks like i am saving up again:-D well explained Lil ,BE seems to have less but larger teeth

Last edited:
  • #1,152
edit.. Egoists too sensitive for opinions like that.

Last edited:
  • #1,153
The dilemma is easily solved by just getting one of each lol

• #1,154
Nice to see how well your D. hilaris are doing. Mine are showing signs of waking up after the long hot summer in the terra.

• #1,155
Nice to see how well your D. hilaris are doing. Mine are showing signs of waking up after the long hot summer in the terra.

Thanks buddy.. I keep them in the HL GH, so 80*F is the warmest they get. They're quickly becoming some of my favorites here.

• #1,156
I prefer all of my pure species to be BE plants simply because they're stronger, and (IMO) look nicer.
Now when it comes to hybrids.. EP is the only way to go IMO.

I've found BE to have more problematic species clones than anywhere else - alba, villosa, rajah, singalana Tujuh (which comes equipped with some sort of fungus), and izumiae are the first that come to mind. Most notably, Wistuba's villosa is much less particular about temperature and less likely to succumb to any sort of heat spells. And strangely enough, some say the BE villosa is the same clone as Wistuba's, which speaks to his culture techniques.

Once the plants acclimate, I've never had any weak Wistuba clones, other than lamii.

EP definitely produces superior hybrids.

Corky, compare the peristome. I'm more partial to the almost edwardsiana-like teeth of the BE plant. The AW plant looks almost like N. ovata.

Huh? I guess I need a thorough explanation of this, because comparing hamata to ovata makes no sense to me. Were you looking at a seedling with undeveloped teeth? The only difference I've seen between the two is that the BE clones are a bit redder.

• #1,157
I've found BE to have more problematic species clones than anywhere else - alba, villosa, rajah, singalana Tujuh (which comes equipped with some sort of fungus), and izumiae are the first that come to mind. Most notably, Wistuba's villosa is much less particular about temperature and less likely to succumb to any sort of heat spells. And strangely enough, some say the BE villosa is the same clone as Wistuba's, which speaks to his culture techniques.

Once the plants acclimate, I've never had any weak Wistuba clones, other than lamii.

EP definitely produces superior hybrids.

Huh? I guess I need a thorough explanation of this, because comparing hamata to ovata makes no sense to me. Were you looking at a seedling with undeveloped teeth? The only difference I've seen between the two is that the BE clones are a bit redder.
My wistuba macrophylla is very vigorous and grows quickly, I agree that wistuba's clones are stronger than people give them credit for.

• #1,158
oops,sorry Mass did not mean to start this kind of discussion,guys this is his pic thread and these things can go on,mass just checked out your hilaris pics,mine seems to show no red on it at all kind of alba compared to yours,is yours getting very strong light

• #1,159
Feel free to start a new thread, but it was worth mentioning since a lot of people view Travis' pic thread.

Didn't mean to hijack it, Travis!

• #1,160

Look broadly at the basic shape of the mouths on the pitchers I quoted from Mass. The AW plants' mouths draw way down, like a V-neck dress. The BE plant doesn't do this. Some may prefer the V-neck, and that's fine, but I prefer a crew neck, myself. ;)

Corky, your nail just said "Ow, my head!" You got it. I like the bigger, fewer teeth, as well as the neck shape.

Mass, good growing on ya, regardless what I say. :D

Back