What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass's GH

hey thanks. can't wait for this first pitcher on my truncata x x TM #2 to pop. Big kid plant..

So jealous you can grow those utrics! Cute little truncata x, such nice color, and those heli's :0o:

It would be cool to grow a utric.

utrics are some of the lowest maintenance CP's out there. Anyone can grow them successfully..

the truncata x x tm is going to be something else!

the truncata x x tm is going to be something else!

I've seen pics of the parent plant. the peristome on those pitchers were almost white. definitely something to look forward to..
Wondering what my big trunc xx TM is going to look like. It's working on it's first pitcher in my care, so we'll see..

utrics are some of the lowest maintenance CP's out there. Anyone can grow them successfully..

I must be the exception then :-(

bored with a camera in hand, so here's pics of.. stuff.

IMG_3310.jpg

BE villosa

IMG_3292.jpg

planted a bunch of these BE lowii basals around the UHL setup. group root..

IMG_3294.jpg

one of the jamban seedlings

IMG_3295.jpg

some D. slackii

IMG_3301.jpg

bushy

IMG_3302.jpg

still young D. admirabilis

IMG_3312.jpg

no idea from where, or how this got here. But.. here it is.

IMG_3314.jpg

this is why you don't throw your pots out when your sundew rosettes die down to the roots.

IMG_3305.jpg

since I already know what's coming (I peaked), here's a "before" shot of a very full D. graomogolensis propagation container.

IMG_3316.jpg

nice little growth explosion from U. reneformis 'Big Sister'

IMG_3318.jpg

and my fave of the day.. D. ascendens (Itarare, Sao Paulo, Brazil)

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

Really nice cephs and healthy dews you got there! :bigthumpup:

I'm going to have to pick your brain about that villosa. You're definitely doing something right, my friend.

I'm going to have to pick your brain about that villosa. You're definitely doing something right, my friend.

ah come on. yours can't be too far behind.. is it?

:0o: Those capes are HUGE!

Haha, "group root." All your plants looking supurb, as usual. Can't get enough staring at your cephs, or the monster capes.

Awesome awesome Travis. Very very nice.

So, N. villosa is notorious for being very difficult to grow, especially when young, so tell us more about how you care for yours; it's obviously perfectly happy. I thought your grow space was more intermediate/lowland-ish.

My GH is intermediate at it's warmest. However the cube within' the GH is full blown HL-UHL.
In the villosa's lair:
Day time: 78*F-80*max high
Night time: 45*-52*max low
humidity: constant 90% (the key to it all IMO)

I try to keep the villosa on the drier side not watering it as often as the others. The media is 3:3:1:1 charcoal, orchid bark, LFS, perlite, with a thick top layer of live LFS.
The goal you're shooting for with villosa is a larger difference between day and night temps. Mine is getting around a 35*degree temp drop from day to night. All the while holding that 90% humidity.
Middle of the day, 90%. Middle of the night.. 90%.
First thing in the morning?!?!? you guessed it.. 90%. The hard part with getting that high of constant humidity, was holding it while keeping up the air flow (I'm anti fungus). Took some time to get down as it wasn't easy to achieve, but I have done it.
I can confidently say the villosa is perfectly happy. Since this last pitcher is fully formed, and it's already inflating 2 more simultaneously.

So yesterday I bought a new digital hygrometer/thermometer. According to yesterday's readings, my max daytime temp is 77*F with 99% humidity.
Night time temp was 46*F with a brief low of 90% humidity.
A 31degree difference in day and night temps..

@Travis: thanks for that info.. I think I could easily accommodate this species in my current growing environment!

While I am impressed at the N. villosa, 'really like that species, I like the D. ascendans best of all. Nice close-ups. 'Got any shots of the entire plant?

While I am impressed at the N. villosa, 'really like that species, I like the D. ascendans best of all. Nice close-ups. 'Got any shots of the entire plant?

thank you. almost thought no one noticed it..
Nothing of the entire plant yet. But soon.. SOON!! :mwahaha:

so today's update is all about me.. as usual.
word of the day is MILESTONES. write that down..
Since my start in the CP hobby I've given up growing all sorts of stuff due to my failures. From helis to cobras to LL neps.. here are some of my re-attempts, and the milestone of successfully growing each.

First up is my BE N. northiana.
After arriving nearly DOA, and pouting for a year, I can finally show it off.

Day of Arrival:

100_7788.jpg

And same plant today..

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3388.jpg

Now for the rest of the LL's that have been pouting for the past year. All of which are now picture worthy (IMO). Secret was *add natural sunlight*.
After sticking all of these plants in a covered tank in a south facing window (with artificial light for extended hours), all seem to be turning around and coming along nicely.

SG N. (x Tiveyi x veitchii HL) x (northiana x veitchii HL). It's pitchering.. so auto-success compared to last year.

IMG_3378.jpg

SG N. sumatrana.

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

striped N. "Whisper" and a cat's butt..

IMG_3385.jpg

newly acquired, but with the LL's.. so it got a pic. SG N. truncata

IMG_3386.jpg

Next up is the cobras. Too many pics of "now dead" plants, so I'll skip right to how I've grown them successfully for the last numerous months.
We'll call this a DYI Darlingtonia Bog. Pot and water basin were purchased at the dollar store for a buck a piece.

IMG_3391.jpg

the water basin below the pot. Tough to see there, but I'm pointing out how I drilled holes in the basin to allow drainage of overflow.

IMG_3392.jpg

I keep a bucket of rainwater on the porch just for this bog. I use one scoop of rain water to flood the bog once a week. The flood doesn't take long to recede to the lower water basin. I do this for a couple reasons. 1. It keeps cool, fresh water running through the roots (weekly, but still). and 2. it replaces that week old water in the basin below (that tends to be heat up after not too long) with fresh, clean, cool rainwater. All things cobras like.. so the water basins have proved to be a beneficial lesson (milestone) to pick up this year.
Yes, it's a pic of rainwater..

IMG_3401.jpg

Here's the results..
These plants have already been growing longer than my previous record.. so I consider these an automatic success.
Coastal form Darlingtonia from Deej. She'll tell ya, they've grown quite a bit since they arrived.

IMG_3393.jpg

The larger ones are actually all from the same piece of rhizome. Got one piece of large rhizome from a division of mountain form Darlingtonia, and here you can see for yourself.. growth from all over the place. A complete success IMO..
One thing I have noticed though.. these plants seem to burn more than color up when in direct sunlight. So they will be living out the rest of their days where they are in the pic. On the back porch getting dappled sun..

IMG_3395.jpg

and onto the helis. For me.. keeping these alive for more than a month was an insta-success. So I'm proud to be able to show these off after month's of growing in my care.

H. minor from Ry.

IMG_3405.jpg

H. nutans from JerrBear. To date, the largest heli I've ever seen in person. Sad I know..

IMG_3406.jpg

H. pulchella (Akopan Tepui, Venezuela) growing slower than the others, but still growing.

IMG_3407.jpg

newly acquired (unrooted) H. tatei var. tatei (Cerro Maharuaka, Venezuela) division, but it's with the others so it got a pic.
The newest pitcher there is all me.. I did that. think it's rooted now too!

IMG_3416.jpg

And a few other random pics that were on the camera..

Cephalotus 'Czech Giant' divisions starting out. Will make a good "before" pic for an update next year.

IMG_3417.jpg

SG N. "Song of Melancholy". Smaller than it's predecessors, but still a nice pitcher.

IMG_3367.jpg

and a pre-winter pic of BE N. hamata. Wanted a pic to remember it's smallness..

IMG_3375.jpg

Last edited:
Back