What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass's GH

Where did you get those deep glass pots?

Where did you get those deep glass pots?

Those are actually acrylic display cases with holes drilled into the bottoms. My aunt used to collect Beanie Babies, so she had tons of them laying around. I don't really use them anymore though.. So now, I have tons of them laying around. Already drilled and ready to go. If you want some, shoot me a PM. I sure we can work something out.

IMG_4285_zps0c93e674.jpg

This is the x Tiveyi clone I'm looking for!!

Nxtiveyii1.jpg

i can see why ,that is a thing of beauty,out of interest mass what kind of humidity does it get to were you live,as you said you were moving neps outside

Our humidity is always pretty high.. being surrounded by the Great Lakes and all.

taking shape..

IMG_4310_zps327b2861.jpg

IMG_4311_zps45cb1cd1.jpg

and today's honorable mention goes to.. N. 'Whisper'

IMG_4313_zpsf3832f79.jpg

:bigthumpup:nice,will be interesting to see how your plants get on under the sun,and lucky you with the high humidity

:bigthumpup:nice,will be interesting to see how your plants get on under the sun,and lucky you with the high humidity

Thanks buddy. I'll be sure to post that update when the time comes. Even if they fry and die..

So decided to take a few "remembrance" pics of my plants, just in case they all die outside. So here's some pics of the kids during their first week outdoors.
Disclaimer: ALL plants were hardened off to 30-40% humidity, too cold of temps, and intense light for 8 weeks to prepare them for the high humidity, cool nights, warm days, and natural sunlight of the Michigan outdoors prior to their move.
Here's the pics I got before my camera died..

All the plants on the grow table in the outdoor hoop house/GH

droso

SG N. veitchii HL (Bario) a.k.a CandyStripe

female N. x Tiveyi "Sarawak Red"

SG N. eymae x ephippiata

SG N. "Song of Melancholy"

SG N. lowii x truncata

N. veitchii HL x platychila

N. truncata x x Trusmadiensis

my first upcoming U. nelumbifolia flower!

someone likes the outdoors. Largest leaf from my U. reneformis "Big Sister" yet!

my SG S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana 'Red' out in the bog. Never been outdoors before, so hope it survives. Sure it'll do fine though.. but just in case:

make or break time then,so far so good by the looks of things,good luck

thanks buddy.
I've been keeping a close watch on weather.com. The warm days over 70*F I open all the little windows in the GH and mist with the cold hose water every few hours. And the colder days I just close everything up. Seems to be working so far..
Already shopping for shade cloths before the summer hits though. As it can get into the upper 90*s some days.
If it get's too brutal out there, I'll be bringing the higher end stuff back into the den GH. Better safe than sorry..

Looking good, Travis. Like you said, just be careful of those warm days. My girlfriend's mom has one of those greenhouses and it feels like an oven every time you open the door.

Travis, did your seedling get that red from being outside? it looks amazing! one of my seedlings does have reddish leaves but nothing like that!

man im in love with all them stripes you classy lad you.

Looking good Travis. May I recommend some air movement inside the GH? That is key. All is looking great though. Can get a water timer from Lowes around 40 bucks and a misting kit. Set it to come on four tines a day or three or whatever works for you. Then have it come on during the hottest time of the day and with the fans will help cool it too.

Also be very careful. Yo know how hot your car gets in the sun?? A closed up GH will do the same thing. That's why air movement and if you must vent it or use some other form of cooling. My 3rd GH even vented with fans still got into the 90's and 100's. The orbit mist kits and fans of GH #4 have proven really effective in conjunction with a window unit AC. My GH is not vented to the outside to maintain humidity. My vented GH #3 would suck out the humidity from the GH and still be hot. GH #4 had 98% humidity when I went into it today.

Oh wow.. been a long time since I've had this many responses.

Looking good, Travis. Like you said, just be careful of those warm days. My girlfriend's mom has one of those greenhouses and it feels like an oven every time you open the door.

I know, right. I walk in and it feels like a sauna..
I'll be keeping a close watch on things. So if I see any sort of decline, I'll be sure to move them back into the den. Just wanted to get things into the sunlight for as long as possible.

Travis, did your seedling get that red from being outside? it looks amazing! one of my seedlings does have reddish leaves but nothing like that!

Wifey says you sent a text. I'll get back to you when I pick her up from work, since she has the cell.
I'll try not to forget this time.
All the color you see is from the T5HO's indoors. The plants haven't even been outside for 3 whole days yet.. and it's been dark and rainy for most of those days.
I'll agree it looks amazing once I see some stripes!!

Looking good Travis. May I recommend some air movement inside the GH? That is key. All is looking great though. Can get a water timer from Lowes around 40 bucks and a misting kit. Set it to come on four tines a day or three or whatever works for you. Then have it come on during the hottest time of the day and with the fans will help cool it too.

Does the water timer come with a misting kit? I've been window shopping for a misting kit on ebay. Some great deals on there.. But wondered how I was going to automate it.
Also, there's no electricity out there. So no way to run a fan..
The GH does have 3 windows on each side of it. So with all of them open there's usually a nice breeze blowing through.

man im in love with all them stripes you classy lad you.

teehee.. thanks Ryan.

The veitchii x platy looks AMAZING!! So happy to see it doing well, what a beautiful pitcher. And everything else looks great too :) Great update, man.

The veitchii x platy looks AMAZING!! So happy to see it doing well, what a beautiful pitcher. And everything else looks great too :) Great update, man.

I absolutely love that plant. Can't wait for it to get some size on it.. Definitely won't disappoint.
Thanks again for coming through for me.

Your droso looks amazing, as does everything else as usual.

Thanks hun.. It's been crying out for some REAL sunshine. But at least it survived the winter indoors under lights.

Long extention cord or even solar setup. Harbor freight has solar panels that should run a fan. I haven't seen a timer with the mist kits. I like orbits stuff but there are many misting kits. My timers are orbit because that's what Lowes carries. Automation is easy. Just need then stuff to do it. And if there is any way to get a fan powered out there then I'd do it. It will keep down on rots and things too.

Just trying to avoid spending more money on extras than I did the GH. Would much rather invest that money into a more permanent setup.

Back