What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass's GH

• #1,041
:0o: Nice update and loving your ceph pitcher pull lineup, will be watching for updates on those. I noiticed the pulls I did in late winter when they were in their "semi-dormant" state produced plantlets much faster than the ones later in the season, but unsure if that was just a fluke or not and will test this again this winter.

OMG, considering its rough start that droso turned into a monster! Very, very nice.

• #1,042
Nic pics Travis!

• #1,043
aww.. thanks for the comments!
I've had an absolutely horrible day, and you guys just took all the stress away.. and gave me a smile.

• #1,046
d'aww! you guys are too sweet. :hug:
My day may be just as poopy tomorrow, so I'll have to come back and re-read these comments to keep my spirits up.

• #1,047
I just want back a few pages and noticed your flowering U. nelumbifolia. :cry:
You use live spahg? Mine is still a little guy but one day i might see flowers. I bet the large pot helped!

• #1,048
Yup.. It's in pure LFS with a separate water basin the pot sits in. There's actually a 2nd flower stalk now just a bit longer than the one pictured. Both stalks currently have open flowers ATM. I'll get another pic of it shortly here so you can see what I'm talking about.

• #1,049
Yup.. It's in pure LFS with a separate water basin the pot sits in. There's actually a 2nd flower stalk now just a bit longer than the one pictured. Both stalks currently have open flowers ATM. I'll get another pic of it shortly here so you can see what I'm talking about.

Awesome. Can't wait to see it. If you have time snap a few of your schizzy! I need a fix. Haven't found mine yet!

• #1,050
Awesome. Can't wait to see it. If you have time snap a few of your schizzy! I need a fix. Haven't found mine yet!

Alrighty.. got the requested pics just for you buddy.
Also decided to snap a few extras and do a full blown ~ Mass's Birthday Update.

So here's the entire plant: U. nelumbifolia w/ dueling flower stalks.

The schizandras pouted for about a week after the change of setup was made. But in exchange they started to self-propagate!

baby..

BaBy..

BABY!!

And onto some of the other happenings.. N. burb x eddie finally breaking out of it's 2 year funk!

SG N. lowii - germinated by yours truly

Guess this means even the LFS is happy..

SG N. edwardsiana appears to be fully acclimated. Judging by it's newest leaf and all..

Newest pitcher popped on SG N. veitchii HL "SK Candy Stripe", though still no stripes yet. All in good time..

N. hamata cutting 2 of 2 rooted and growing.

Newest from N. truncata

Thought this was cool. Had one adult D. adelae die in this pot. Guess it's making a comeback, in full force!

Some cephs..

EXO!! You were right about the lower light levels. IT'S REALLY HAPPENING!! BE N. ephippiata

Moving this party oustide, here's the live LFS bog I started working on. May be home to my purp collection eventually.

My larger bog was surrounded by a fence and tall grasses. Thus causing it to stay shaded most of the day. Over the past week I took out the fence, and mowed the entire area down. The brown sections of lawn should give you an idea of what has been mowed recently. Happy to say the bog get's strong light all day long now!

Last year this x catesbaei was red. This is what brought on Project: MoreSun

The purps are responding well to the extra hours of sun.

Flowering D. rotundifolia and S. purp seedling

A couple pics for Deej.. P. grandiflora

And the amazing P. vulgaris!! This little guy went into the bog as just a small piece of green leaf matter..

And better late than never.. D. filiformis var. tracyii finally broke dormancy.

Last edited:
  • #1,051
Sweet! Thanks for entertaining me. Got my schizzy fix!

Nice collection! I'm a big time Truncata fan too.

• #1,052
Sweet! Thanks for entertaining me. Got my schizzy fix!

Nice collection! I'm a big time Truncata fan too.

My pleasure buddy..
Thanks to Pebes sharing his setup design with me, ALL my plants are finally to the point that I can take pics of them again. Won't be long now and you can see the other half of the collection.

• #1,053
:nana: I told ya so!!!!

Good job, I'm happy to see the ephippiata pitchering again. :)

• #1,054
Hell of an update, Travis. What exactly did you change?

• #1,055
Looking good, is that the x catesbaei I sent last year?

• #1,056
Nice update! Haha, the P. grandiflora is growing nicely and the P. vulgaris looks very happy also, bigger than my other surviving vulgaris seedlings. Are you growing the P. vulgaris in full sun or partial shade?

• #1,057
Nice update! Haha, the P. grandiflora is growing nicely and the P. vulgaris looks very happy also, bigger than my other surviving vulgaris seedlings. Are you growing the P. vulgaris in full sun or partial shade?

aww.. thank you. It was only getting morning sun with dappled tree sun the rest of the day. But this past week it's now getting full sun pretty much all day.
Then again we could just chalk it up to a native Michigan CP loving it's new Michigan home. Now just to get my hands on some D. linearis and we'll be all set.

Looking good, is that the x catesbaei I sent last year?

Indeed. I want it to have that gorgeous coloration it had upon arrival.
This plant is literally the "Center Piece" of my bog.

Hell of an update, Travis. What exactly did you change?

Basically, everything..
I'll take some pics of the outer workings for ya.

:nana: I told ya so!!!!

Good job, I'm happy to see the ephippiata pitchering again. :)

You don't understand how excited I am about this one. Makes the hairs on my arm stand up..
First in my care,. OOOooo I can't wait! Literally the longest I've ever had to wait for a plant to make it's first pitcher in my care.

• #1,058
So you reduced the light on the Ephippiata? I got a Truncata x Ephippiata that seemed to be in suspended animation since I received it. It's finally started growing a week or so ago after about three months! now to hope for a pitcher...

• #1,059
So you reduced the light on the Ephippiata? I got a Truncata x Ephippiata that seemed to be in suspended animation since I received it. It's finally started growing a week or so ago after about three months! now to hope for a pitcher...

Correct. I was growing it under intense bright light for the past year or so. It was growing and putting out healthy leaves on a regular basis, though would abort each and every pitcher.
Mark mentioned that in his care he grew it in lower light levels. Soooo.. I moved it down with the hamatas. Almost overnight it put out 2 new tendrils and began inflating pitchers immediately.
In your case the truncata may prefer more light.. which they normally do. I'm currently on the hunt for truncata x ephippiata. So can't really relate to their growth habits yet. But maybe this tidbit of info will help if you have issues with pitcher development down the road.

• #1,060
Indeed. I want it to have that gorgeous coloration it had upon arrival.
This plant is literally the "Center Piece" of my bog.

The extra light should do the trick, you'll be back to this in no time
400633_528334690535458_1759319849_n.jpg

Back