What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass's GH

• #1,161
oops,sorry Mass did not mean to start this kind of discussion,guys this is his pic thread and these things can go on,mass just checked out your hilaris pics,mine seems to show no red on it at all kind of alba compared to yours,is yours getting very strong light

It's cool buddy.. I'm not on here enough to really care anymore. As long as it's a meaningful CP discussion and not about which hair care products you prefer.. it's not really any matter to me. As long as I take interest in reading what people are saying in my thread, it's fine by me.
The hilaris and other dews don't get as much light as I'd like. Just a 4bulb T5HO about a foot above..

Last edited:
  • #1,162
And while I'm here, might as well post a pic of the N. PDA that arrived today. Thanks again CM for the generous donation..

• #1,163
pic dump!

U. alpina x endresii

D. ascendens (Itarare, Sao Paulo, Brazil)

SG N. lowii x truncata 'Wide'

SG N. veitchii K basal pitcher

N. veitchii x platychila

wild LFS = wild rotunds

Cephalotus 'Eden Black' x self from Double D, day of arrival.

I was able to split that plant in half. Then split 1 half into 8 individually rooted plantlets. All of which are doing quite well under some soft T8's, in a high humidity LL tank. The media I chose for this stage of post-TC growth is organic "Black Gold", made up of peat, perlite, and worm castings. I find this pre-bagged mix is a bit lighter and easier for the plants to transition in. Some of the TC growth has already begun dying back, making way for the very nice looking, deep green, hardened leaves and pitchers that are now emerging. I'll have to get an up-to-date pic of that growth..
I'm thinking around Valentine's Day these kids will be ready for a sandy peat mix, and a move into the T5HO/window ceph rack.
Until then, here's the rooted divisions the day after arrival:

The other half of the original plant:

And thanks to Double D, this is how I was able to make so many individually rooted plantlets (CrAzY roots!):

• #1,164
Wow, nice, Mass! Loving the potential Ceph mayhem you got started there.

• #1,165
Thanks KT.. divide and concur is the name of the game.

• #1,166
That Utric flower is quite alluring.... the shape and soft colors are rather unique.

• #1,167
a pic I figured was worth sharing..

N. lowii x truncata

• #1,168
'Great color on that one. Considering the cross I am surprised at the stripyness, but I am of minimal knowledge when it comes to neps. I just know what I like.

• #1,169
Thanks buddy.. Here's some more pics I took of that plant. I was going to use it for the POTM, but the wife made me enter that hamata pic instead.

• #1,170
Mass: Great plants man! (as always)

• #1,171
That's just nice.

• #1,172
looking sweet;)

• #1,173
Mass, seriously, this setup is producing some awesome plants! Well done! :D

I have been through 30 pages of the thread at the front and at the back and I can't see a really good wide shot of your whole setup, do you have any images that are showing HOW everything is setup?

I tried your photobucket but it is private and then my attention got derailed watching the funny GIFs they have there! XD

• #1,174
Mass, seriously, this setup is producing some awesome plants! Well done! :D

I have been through 30 pages of the thread at the front and at the back and I can't see a really good wide shot of your whole setup, do you have any images that are showing HOW everything is setup?

I tried your photobucket but it is private and then my attention got derailed watching the funny GIFs they have there! XD

Here's a couple pics from back when I first set it up. I've since added a few intake/outtake fans, and a PVC line running from a cool mist humidifier into the grow chamber. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/128926-Mass-s-GH?p=1131801&viewfull=1#post1131801

• #1,175
The Lowii x truncata looks spectacular! Great job Travis :)

• #1,176
Here's a couple pics from back when I first set it up. I've since added a few intake/outtake fans, and a PVC line running from a cool mist humidifier into the grow chamber. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/128926-Mass-s-GH?p=1131801&viewfull=1#post1131801
Thanks, Mass, for helping me find these pics! Did you make the tank yourself from plexiglass or buy it? How do you get the top half to stay on without slipping off?

Looks like you are using something that looks just like my Sun Blaze High Output fluorescent light fixture. Looks like you got the 8 lamp one which my wife would not "let" me go with and I settled on the narrower 4 lamp one for my herb garden.

How are you loving that light fixture? Completely recommend it for CPs?

9498369661_b60a04e8a4.jpg

Last edited:
  • #1,177
Thanks, Mass, for helping me find these pics! Did you make the tank yourself from plexiglass or buy it? How do you get the top half to stay on without slipping off?

Looks like you are using something that looks just like my Sun Blaze High Output fluorescent light fixture. Looks like you got the 8 lamp one which my wife would not "let" me go with and I settled on the narrower 4 lamp one for my herb garden.

How are you loving that light fixture? Completely recommend it for CPs?

1. neither, traded the neighbor for it..
2. I added a couple of these bars to the back of the chamber. Makes for easy alignment: http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/mass2256/IMG_5909_zps99b938f7.jpg
3. It is indeed an 8 bulb sunblaze fixture. I got it for free for doing a live carnivorous plant display for one of our local hydroponic shops here. Which my wife helped me with rather than giving me grief about it. :p And yes, I love it.. and recommend it for CP's.
4. To answer your next question, the chamber is just 2 pieces. The top portion lifts off, which is a pain. But helps keep me from messing with the plants constantly. http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/mass2256/IMG_5930_zps6b4221e3.jpg
Here you can see the intake fan and humidifier: http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/mass2256/IMG_5931_zps554b1b2b.jpg
Notice there are no plants in front of the fog input. A wise Butch once told me that no plants like being IN the fog. http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/mass2256/IMG_5910_zps5c637440.jpg

And a few of the plants:

helis

SG N. edwardsiana

BE villosa

BE x Trusmadiensis clone 1

SG lowii x ephippiata (left) & BE macrophylla (right)

SG veitchii HL (Pa'Umor)

SG villosas

BE ephippiata

BE robcantleyi

truncata red x Trusmadiensis

eymae x ephippiata

older pitcher from Song of Melancholy

veitchii x platychila

veitchii x lowii

lowii x (northiana x veitchii HL)

Then out in the diningroom I have a few other tanks setup for LL's and cephs.

BE northiana

sib x (northiana x veitchii HL) & cephs

• #1,178
Welcome back from wherever it is you've been!

• #1,179
Damn Travis! Everything looks killer! I love the red coloration your 8 bulber gives to those leaves! I'm trying to emulate your terrarium setup right now :eek:

• #1,180
Plants are looking great. Glad to see you're having success with the lowii x ephippiata!

Back