What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass's GH

• #1,181
Stunning plants, as per usual!

• #1,182
All sorts of old school coming in. Thanks fellas.. the kind words really do mean a lot coming from you experienced veterans.
And to answer your inadvertent question Paul,.. 60hrs a week (every week) at work. That's where I've been.
I'll try to find time to take a look at everyone else's threads when I can. Seems like I'm always at work, and I'm always tired these days.
Next day off I'll try to post some pics of the rest of the collection.

• #1,184
Nice growing man, as like you I haven't been on much and I actually first think I did was come here. Looks like your plants are happy happy happy. Ill try to dig out the camera and get some shots soon.

Peace

• #1,185
1. neither, traded the neighbor for it..
2. I added a couple of these bars to the back of the chamber. Makes for easy alignment: http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/mass2256/IMG_5909_zps99b938f7.jpg
3. It is indeed an 8 bulb sunblaze fixture. I got it for free for doing a live carnivorous plant display for one of our local hydroponic shops here. Which my wife helped me with rather than giving me grief about it. :p And yes, I love it.. and recommend it for CP's.
4. To answer your next question, the chamber is just 2 pieces. The top portion lifts off, which is a pain. But helps keep me from messing with the plants constantly. http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/mass2256/IMG_5930_zps6b4221e3.jpg
Here you can see the intake fan and humidifier: http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/mass2256/IMG_5931_zps554b1b2b.jpg
Notice there are no plants in front of the fog input. A wise Butch once told me that no plants like being IN the fog. http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/mass2256/IMG_5910_zps5c637440.jpg
Such a great setup! No wonder your Helis are looking so happy.

I have been inspired to try an indoor Greenhouse setup, or if I have a good room, I could probably have your tank setup there that has the humidifiers and fans, that would be enough even without the greenhouse around it. I just also LOVE the idea of the greenhouse space to be able to stand next to my plants and not keep them all in tanks.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions and link me these images!! :D

Going to have to keep working on my wife for another $140 dollars to put towards my plant budget. This site has a 6-lamp fixture on sale and I sooooo want it now XD http://goo.gl/om7Bd2

• #1,186
Just a few new pics from today..

robc still chugging along

veitchii x lowii

truncata x x Trusmadiensis

truncata x veitchii HL

BE villosa

hamata

lowii x ephippiata

heterdoxa (Gran Sabana)

• #1,187
Beautiful, as always. :awesome:

• #1,188
An impressive display, sir. I am looking forward to seeing your villosa grow up.

• #1,189
thanks!
That makes two of us Mark.

• #1,190
Travis, I'm in love with the RC.

• #1,191
Few updates..

newest finally popped on my BE ephippiata

SG N. sibuyanensis x (northiana x veitchii HL) finally making some jumps in size.
Here's what this plant could one day become: http://www.exoticaplants.com.au/admin/uploads/sibxnxv.jpg

similar cross on the other end of the HL/LL spectrum, SG N. lowii x (northiana x veitchii HL)

last month's POTM entry & failure.. N. lowii x truncata

my first heli flower, H. heterodoxa (Gran Sabana)

finally seeing growth with some of my C. "Big Boy" cuttings..

Took a rhizome division off one of my C. 'Eden Black' x self plants. Here it is today, after only a few months of it sitting on LFS.

And a few update pics of my SG eddie..

• #1,192
Everything looks great, Travis!
Great growing!

• #1,193
Love that ephi... eddie looks great too!

• #1,194
Temps are finally starting to warm up here in New Canada, so figured it was a good time to start a growth experiment.
Once a month I'll be root drenching my plants with urea free Grow More orchid fertilizer mixed at quarter strength (1/4 tsp / gallon RO), which was recommended and generously donated by an old school buddy of mine. I will be letting the plants sit overnight before flushing them with pure RO the following day.
With temps in the GH this winter being 65*F during the day, and 38*F at night.. I haven't seen much growth at all for quite some time.
Temps as of today are 78*F-80*F during the day, and 58*F-61*F at night. Here's most (but not all) of my plants today after their first fert treatment.
I'll update again a few months from now to show any progress or regress the plants may be showing at that time.
Here's the HL's, LL's will be posted tomorrow. Please keep in mind this post is more for me, since my memory sucks. I just need to be able to look back and SEE the difference in size. That being said, I took little care in making these plants "look good" for their debut.
Day 1 of ferts + warmer temps:

BE N. villosa

BE N. macrophylla

SG N. lowii x ephippiata

BE N. lowii

BE N. x Trusmadiensis (clone 1)

SG N. Peter D' Amato x x Trusmadiensis

BE N. aristolochoides

N. lowii x truncata

EP N. truncata x x Trusmadiensis

This one shows just how badly the plants are growing during the winter here. The two largest, older leaves were put out during last fall before winter hit. The two smaller, newer leaves are all this plant has made since.
EP N. truncata x veitchii HL

EP N. veitchii x platychila

BE N. ephippiata

SG N. edwardsiana

SG N. truncata 'Red' x x Trusmadiensis

SG N. villosas

SG N. veitchii HL (Heath Forest, Pa'Umor) ~ Oddly enough, the newest redder pitcher developed after I switched my nep lights from an 8 bulb T5HO fixture to a 4 bulb T5HO setup. Most of the neps seem to be happier under the lower light levels. The older pitchers shown are from the older 8 bulb.. May just be a matter of needing new bulbs, but they're less than a year old. So I dunno..

BE N. platychila

BE N. robcantleyi

BE N. vogelii x2

I also decided to fertilize my helis and cephs, but the camera died before I could get pics of them all. Here's the only shots I was able to get..

My 2 newest C. 'Eden Black's. Alpha clone and Delta clones..

Rhizome division from my other 'Eden Black' Alpha clone.

H. heterdoxa (Gran Sabana)

Last edited:
  • #1,195
Lots of awesome greenery you've got there! My taste is for the toothy members of Nepenthes as well. 'Looking forward to the LLs.

• #1,196
Lots of awesome greenery you've got there! My taste is for the toothy members of Nepenthes as well. 'Looking forward to the LLs.

Thanks Mark!
I like toothy, striped, a big peristome.. or all of the above.

• #1,197
Lookin' good man! What does the Alpha and Delta mean in regard to the 'Eden Black'?

• #1,198
Lookin' good man! What does the Alpha and Delta mean in regard to the 'Eden Black'?

I assume Bella uses these to keep track of the different seed batches he TC's.

• #1,199
Those all look great, Travis. You're doing something really well with those Helis, too.

Real quickly, though.. I'm pretty sure I wrote 1/4 teaspoon per gallon for that fertilizer. You just gave them 4x more than what I apply, so I'd say it's time to flush.

• #1,200
That edwardsiana looks really cute. And I like how the lowii x truncate hybrid shows characteristics of both parents: the truncated leaves of truncate as well as the white secretions of lowii.

Back