Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice to build portable bog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice to build portable bog

I ordered some sarracenia and dionaea rhizomes and want to put them in portable bogs. I want to use the plastic pots that look like facsimiles of terra cotta pots. I have peat moss and perlite ready. The pots are 7 inches deep, so do I fill the bottom 2-3 inches with sand and top the rest with 50/50 peat/perlite layer? For drainage, do I cover the holes on the bottom and also, how far down from the top of the peat should I drill holes on the side of the pot? Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on where your level of soil is, 2 to 4 inches would be fine. If you know how to build false bottoms that would probly be your best bet. It would reduce build up of anything and limit them to the bottom of the pot. During rainy seasons they are sometimes completly submerged may only 1 or 2 inches sticking out of the water but water usually resides after a day or so. Even 1 inch below soil level would work well just make sure on size of hole and placement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is the purpose of the sand?
    is it just to fill space?
    as per drainage:

pic courtesy of scottychaos, a member on here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sand? I use light deffuser and really fine mesh. Raised 3 or 4 inches of gravels of all size from sand to a few larger sized pieces. Its the method I use for building all my vivariums and its had a lot of success. I like the pvc idea for checking the water level. The false bottom help me just to make sure any unwanted nutrients or salts settle str8 to the bottom. I've also been working on a flush system for the false bottom layer to drain excess build up after a couple of months. Drains quick enough to flush bottom but not fast enough to drain wet peat layer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a flush system in the false bottom drill a hole for a release valve on the side, close to the very bottom. It'll basically act like a faucet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @cpsammich: The sand was for filling space because the rhizomes don't need the full depth of 7 inches. I found a similar picture, but are there any specific distances/measurements (i.e. water level should be kept 'x' inches below peat surface, drill holes of 'x' inches in diameter a distance of 'x' inches below the top of the peat surface )? I found articles that said Sarracenia tolerate higher water level than Dionaea

@Wire Man: I like that idea of an adjustable valve. I might use that instead of drilling multiple holes near the top.

Edit:
    @hazedshaman: I just saw your numbers/distances/measurements after glancing over the topic.
    Last edited by fdfederation; 11-27-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Re-reviewed responses

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on my experience, I'm not a big fan of perlite for outdoor use. First heavy rain it will separate and float en mass to the surface.

Crissy use to have some really good threads on this very subject.... very detailed DIY's

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast