Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle's Basement Greenhouse Build Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyle: Looks good should be great. About the window, get a 2x2 and cut it to length to fit just inside so the window cannot open any further than its already open. I have been planning to do this since I set up the growtent, but have yet to do it.

Swords: I agree, works great!! Even during summer our night time temps fall below 60, usually closer to 50ish. Summer highs are usually in the 80 range so the basement stays below 65!

Only had the hygrotherm for a few months, but loving it after the initial 30 minutes of swearing at it while programming haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahaha, okay, so I should be prepared to fight with it until it's set up, but love it afterwards... GOT IT.

@drew: That's what I thought about doing, but the board could easily be pushed in and then... well, yeah... once the board is out of the way, it's just as easy to reach in and remove the wood keeping the window semi-closed as if it wasn't there. >.<

I fear I might have to build a whole fancy thing that I actually drill into the wall. I could get one of those window well guards that are made of, like, iron, but jeez... I think in this neighborhood that'd attract more attention than not. LOL.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you get the aluminium-foil-like stuff that you used for the grow tent? I read that covering a greenhouse in shiny curtains at night will keep around 70% the heat in, so that may be useful for my greenhouse in the winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Hahaha, okay, so I should be prepared to fight with it until it's set up, but love it afterwards... GOT IT.

@drew: That's what I thought about doing, but the board could easily be pushed in and then... well, yeah... once the board is out of the way, it's just as easy to reach in and remove the wood keeping the window semi-closed as if it wasn't there. >.<

I fear I might have to build a whole fancy thing that I actually drill into the wall. I could get one of those window well guards that are made of, like, iron, but jeez... I think in this neighborhood that'd attract more attention than not. LOL.
    Yes that is true... maybe put a couple screws through into the windowsill... or like you said, design some type of lock. Whatever you do though, if they want in they'll get in! Before I had a nice vehicle I just left it unlocked and nothing in it, so if they wanted to break in they could just open the door rather than smashing the window haha.

Pineapple: The growtent comes with it, but it is just thick mylar sowed onto the fabric. Wouldn't do much for insulation, you'd be better with bubblewrap type stuff for heat retention IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Pineapple: Yeah, the mylar bubble wrap I'll be using would probably also be a good candidate for what you want it for, though it's not cheap: here it is at Lowes. Could be good depending on the size of your GH, otherwise probably not cost effective.

@drew: Hahaha, yeah. The thing is, it basically is an open door right now. I need to do SOMETHING to it to at least be a deterrent, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Pineapple: Yeah, the mylar bubble wrap I'll be using would probably also be a good candidate for what you want it for, though it's not cheap: here it is at Lowes. Could be good depending on the size of your GH, otherwise probably not cost effective.

@drew: Hahaha, yeah. The thing is, it basically is an open door right now. I need to do SOMETHING to it to at least be a deterrent, lol.
    Actually, one roll of that would probably cover the entire greenhouse, however light wouldn't be able to get through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought you were just planning on using it on cold nights. The stuff in Drew's tent wouldn't let any light through either. Or ANY shiny stuff, really. You can get clear bubble wrap, though, also at a hardware store... used for packing. That would probably work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought you were just planning on using it on cold nights. The stuff in Drew's tent wouldn't let any light through either. Or ANY shiny stuff, really. You can get clear bubble wrap, though, also at a hardware store... used for packing. That would probably work.
    Wasn't thinking, haha. I had read that wrapping in bubble wrap would be permanent, or at least permanent for winter. Taking it on and off for cold nights would be pretty tedious.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast