Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle's Basement Greenhouse Build Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, after fiddling around with it, I discovered the breaker that was LABELED for the basement actually is for... well... nothing, as far as I can tell. O_O Flipped both switches off, went around the house, can't find ANYTHING that it affected. Soooo... no idea there. But I did find the switch that shuts the basement down. It's the same breaker that controls the garage, but the garage is on one switch and the basement is on the other switch, the entire basement controlled by the one switch on the breaker. Would probably be nice to have both on a GFCI breaker anyway, but it doesn't feel right that the garage is controled by the same breaker that controls the basement, which will be drawing a LOT of power with the greenhouse down there. That coupled with power tools and the shop lights in the garage sounds like a recipe for lots of tripped breakers to me, but maybe not since they're on separate switches. I don't know. LOL.

Another question, though. I assume the ground bar is where all those white wires come up and are screwed down in the bottom of the above picture, right?

I'm starting to wonder if this all will just necessitate the hiring of an electrician. When we bought the place, the inspector noted there were no GFCI outlets anywhere in the house - obviously a safety violation. So before we even moved in, an electrician came through and did his own inspection and installed a bunch of them throughout the house. Unfortunately, he didn't install any in the basement, which is required according to that HD page. Interesting...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that you could flip a switch and turn either the the basement or the garage off independently tells you they are not on the same breaker. Even though it looks like they are, it is really two independent breakers in the single unit. So power draw to the basement isn't affecting your ability to draw power to the garage. Looks like they are all 15A circuits so you can draw up to 15Amps in both the garage and the basement at the same time without tripping either one.

Yes the ground/neutral bar is where the white wires are connected. That is where your white wire from a GFI breaker would get connected.

I don't know all the codes on where a ground fault circuit would be required. It can vary from place to place so not sure I would take what HD has on their website as the final word.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. Alright, well, I'll let you know how the search goes, whenever that may take place. Many thanks again, Tony.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here are the results of today's work. Just a few hours today (we had our Christmas today). I didn't end up getting a GFCI breaker, no luck there. I'll get it figured out in the next month or so. At least I got a giant power strip that is a surge protector.

Two racks magically made into three:

And that half of the greenhouse wrapped up in double layer mylar bubble wrap (hammer for scale):

As Butch recommended in one of his threads, I used foil tape and, man, am I happy I did. You can honestly feel the quality in it. I can already tell it will stand up much better than regular duck (duct) tape. It's a little difficult to work with at times because of its rigidity and the paper you have to pull away from it, but it's very manageable in, say, three foot sections at a time. And if you peel the paper back as you go as opposed to all at once and then trying to place it.

All in all, I'm very happy with the direction this project is going. ^.^

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *whistles* Don't know about you.. but I can't wait to see it up and running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, dude, totally friggin' stoked. LOL. My collection isn't NEAR big enough for it, though, so I guess that's my next task. XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, this is super!
    I cannot wait to see it up and running!
    Good luck with it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, that's turning out to be a very nice project . Good job.
    Growlist
    IN HOC

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast