Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kyle's Basement Greenhouse Build Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good man! Can't wait to see more photos!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome basement plans kyle. Keep up the good work. If you haven't found a good solution for your floor look for yoga rugs or that kind of material they are a nice no slip surface. I think its also used for an underlayment for carpets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, y'all.

I did actually decide on a floor solution. I really liked the idea of textured paint but my wife and I ultimately decided it was a little too permanent. We found this nice outdoor rugs for pretty cheap. They've got a rubber underside, so water shouldn't just seep through, which is nice. If water does turn out to be a problem down there, though, I will paint it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a thick plastic topped with fake turf. The stuff used for fake golf greens, ya know? I found it all at home depot. Works to keep my carpets clean and dry. Should do the same for your basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got all tile so hopefully I won't be slippin all over the place lol. I have an almost fool proof water catch system that I've been working on. I was lucky enough to be able and find a nice reverse osmosis system which I hooked into a water line that run right through my plant room. Currently I'm hanginng panda film for diffrent sections which will be climate controlled from within each section. Kyle have you figured out what your gunna do for moister seepage into your drywall? Its kinda tacky but I plastic lined then whole room with a clear 5mil plastic. I'm sure there are other solutions but I'm a scientist on a budget ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mass: That's what I was initially planning on using, but we found outdoor carpets that were actually cheaper than the fake turf would have cost. They seem pretty nice, but time will tell, eh?

@shaman: The entire greenhouse is going to be enclosed, so humidity with the walls shouldn't be an issue. I will, of course, keep a hygrometer outside the greenhouse to make sure humidity in there doesn't get out of control with the moisture that finds its way out, but it really shouldn't be a problem anyway because I have a fan that runs 24/7 as an exhaust down there; goes straight out the window. Had to find some way to ventilate the ferrets' room. XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So last night's work didn't get very far. I tried to take apart my old rack so I could assemble the second wall in the basement. That entailed cutting the zip-ties off to get the light fixtures out of there. Not having a box cutter upstairs and being too lazy to go downstairs to get one, the moron in me pulled out my brand new (Christmas present) Benchmade pocket knife. Lesson to those reading: use the right tool for the job. ¬.¬

I am usually REALLY good about keeping my hand out of the way of blades, be them moving (as in power saws) or something like a knife. I had that lesson absolutely drilled into my head in my highschool woodshop class that I took for two years. Apparently, I failed last night. I truly don't even know how it happened. But the knife slipped off the zip tie and somehow my other hand was in its path. Felt a pretty strong pressure on my thumb, pulled it back, looked at it, and slowly realized it was bleeding profusely, lol. It's not a terrible cut, but it was easily one of the worst I've had. I used my other hand to catch the blood on the way to the bathroom sink, and I already had a pretty good puddle by the time I got there. >.<; Pictures below for those that care to see it (linked, so any queezbabies (queezy babies), like me, don't have to see it).

But anyway, long story short, last night's effort was... "cut" short. ;p

I'm going to try and resume construction today, but I worry about re-opening it so I have to take it easy. Blehhhh.

PIX (bloody; queezbabies be warned):

After a quick rinse with soapy water: Bloody.

The very small time between taking paper towel off it and it starting to bleed again. In other words, that's all wound, lol. Fairly wide cut. Ouch.

Right on my knuckle, too. In addition, of course, to the fact that it's on my friggin' thumb. Worst digit to injure when trying to accomplish some physical labor, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ˇOuch!
    How deep is it?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast