What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking good man! Can't wait to see more photos!

Awesome basement plans kyle. Keep up the good work. If you haven't found a good solution for your floor look for yoga rugs or that kind of material they are a nice no slip surface. I think its also used for an underlayment for carpets

Thanks, y'all.

I did actually decide on a floor solution. I really liked the idea of textured paint but my wife and I ultimately decided it was a little too permanent. We found this nice outdoor rugs for pretty cheap. They've got a rubber underside, so water shouldn't just seep through, which is nice. If water does turn out to be a problem down there, though, I will paint it.

I use a thick plastic topped with fake turf. The stuff used for fake golf greens, ya know? I found it all at home depot. Works to keep my carpets clean and dry. Should do the same for your basement.

I've got all tile so hopefully I won't be slippin all over the place lol. I have an almost fool proof water catch system that I've been working on. I was lucky enough to be able and find a nice reverse osmosis system which I hooked into a water line that run right through my plant room. Currently I'm hanginng panda film for diffrent sections which will be climate controlled from within each section. Kyle have you figured out what your gunna do for moister seepage into your drywall? Its kinda tacky but I plastic lined then whole room with a clear 5mil plastic. I'm sure there are other solutions but I'm a scientist on a budget ..

@mass: That's what I was initially planning on using, but we found outdoor carpets that were actually cheaper than the fake turf would have cost. They seem pretty nice, but time will tell, eh?

@shaman: The entire greenhouse is going to be enclosed, so humidity with the walls shouldn't be an issue. I will, of course, keep a hygrometer outside the greenhouse to make sure humidity in there doesn't get out of control with the moisture that finds its way out, but it really shouldn't be a problem anyway because I have a fan that runs 24/7 as an exhaust down there; goes straight out the window. Had to find some way to ventilate the ferrets' room. XD

So last night's work didn't get very far. I tried to take apart my old rack so I could assemble the second wall in the basement. That entailed cutting the zip-ties off to get the light fixtures out of there. Not having a box cutter upstairs and being too lazy to go downstairs to get one, the moron in me pulled out my brand new (Christmas present) Benchmade pocket knife. Lesson to those reading: use the right tool for the job. ¬.¬

I am usually REALLY good about keeping my hand out of the way of blades, be them moving (as in power saws) or something like a knife. I had that lesson absolutely drilled into my head in my highschool woodshop class that I took for two years. Apparently, I failed last night. I truly don't even know how it happened. But the knife slipped off the zip tie and somehow my other hand was in its path. Felt a pretty strong pressure on my thumb, pulled it back, looked at it, and slowly realized it was bleeding profusely, lol. It's not a terrible cut, but it was easily one of the worst I've had. I used my other hand to catch the blood on the way to the bathroom sink, and I already had a pretty good puddle by the time I got there. >.<; Pictures below for those that care to see it (linked, so any queezbabies (queezy babies), like me, don't have to see it).

But anyway, long story short, last night's effort was... "cut" short. ;p

I'm going to try and resume construction today, but I worry about re-opening it so I have to take it easy. Blehhhh.

PIX (bloody; queezbabies be warned):

After a quick rinse with soapy water: Bloody.

The very small time between taking paper towel off it and it starting to bleed again. In other words, that's all wound, lol. Fairly wide cut. Ouch.

Right on my knuckle, too. In addition, of course, to the fact that it's on my friggin' thumb. Worst digit to injure when trying to accomplish some physical labor, lol.

Last edited:
¡Ouch!
How deep is it?

I don't know, I still haven't pulled last night's bandaging off. Will do that in a few hours and perhaps then I'll be able to see. LOL.

In other news...

I got the second half of the greenhouse put together and wrapped up. Next step is to put together some extension cords so that I can access the sockets behind the greenhouse once it's in place. After that, I need to put the last sheet of bubble wrap over the top and middle of the thing to complete the GH itself. Then, of course, it's time to move all the lights in, work on the ventilation system, and redo my humidifier. FINALLY, once all that's done, I can move the plants in. LOL, hoo boy.

This is fun!

Sweet stuff Kyle, sounds like it's going together quite quickly! Post some photos once you get the top stuff on. Do you have plans for the door? I read your first post but forget, and too lazy to go re-read haha.

No, not really. Still, the only thing I can think of to do is to use magnetic strip. We'll see.

I just ran out of that foil tape, though. D'oh. Gotta run back to the store. Can't decide whether to do it tonight in the next thirty minutes before they close or wait until tomorrow. I really want to make more progress today because the plants are without any light or humidity. Need to get this thing DONE.

Going to run into an issue sealing up the roof, too. Not sure how I'm going to reach up there. o_O

So I decided to run to HomeDepot and buy more tape and push onwards. Here are some updated pictures while I rest and have dinner.

Left wall assembled:
IMG_7924.JPG

IMG_7925.JPG

And wrapped up:
IMG_7926.JPG

IMG_7927.JPG

The back on:
IMG_7928.JPG

The roof on and some inside pictures:
IMG_7929.JPG

IMG_7930.JPG

IMG_7931.JPG

The door on (held closed in the first pic by just a few pieces of tape for now) and some more inside pictures:
IMG_7932.JPG

IMG_7933.JPG

IMG_7934.JPG

IMG_7935.JPG

The humidifier spout:
IMG_7936.JPG

I hope to get the lights in and the humidifier and ventilation going tonight before bed, despite the fact it's already midnight. Sleep is for the weak!

Coming along great! Keep taking photos, your almost there! Do you have lights for every shelf, or how many lights are going in in total?

Sleep is for the weak!

+1 to that!

holy crap dude! thats awesome!

Insanity. Not sure what you spent, but why not just get a pre-built GrowLab like Johnny is sporting? Around $150 and it's just about the same size.
Either way.. rockin' setup! Tis' coming along nicely.

That's an intense set-up. I don't think I have ever seen an indoor one quite that large before.

it is going to be shinny and hard to look at inside :p

That's huge, Kyle. I assume your cp collection is about to grow exponentially, too? Reiterating what Mach said, you'd better buy a good pair of sunglasses.

@Drew: pretty much lights for every shelf. I want to also get some lights that kind of point out into the walkway (although that might be too blinding...) because the N. x ventrata I have in there is sprawling all over the place. It's literally stretching from one wall (where it's hanging) to the other, across the ceiling. Kind of cool looking, heh.

@mass: Eh, a few reasons. I really wanted racks instead of tables (I don't know how many racks you could fit into one of the GrowLabs, but probably not 6). Another reason is the bubble wrap is, I assume, a better insulator than the mylar/fabric duo that makes up pre-fab grow tents. We foster puppies, and they typically stay in the basement, so they can't have been exposed to very chilly temps when we've got them down there. So, essentially, I wanted it to be as secluded from the rest of the basement as possible. Third, I think this setup will ultimately be a little more durable. The bubble wrap is pretty friggin' tough (you wouldn't think so, but it is; I can walk on it without any pops and it's pretty hard to pierce even with a razor blade). And the racks themselves are probably much stronger and more durable, at least they are compared to the cheap grow tents I've seen with flimsy metal racks in the better ones and plastic racks in the really cheap ones. The racks I'm using can support 350lbs PER SHELF. So, basically, I don''t have to worry about where I put what - I can put whatever I want wherever I want with the peace of mind that it won't all come tumbling down. Finally, just because I get to make it exactly how I want it, with holes for ventilation/humidification where I want them, etc etc. Not to mention I get to MAKE it at all. I love building stuff. ^.^ That got wordy... mah bad.

To everyone else: Thanks for the comments! And LOLs @ Mach and mato. :lol:

But back to the news regarding the GH. I didn't finish the ventilation or the humidifier, nor did I even get the electrical situation all figured out. I DID get all the lights and plants in, I just haven't hooked any of the lights up yet. I need to make myself a few extension cords to get power where I need it. No big deal, though. But after moving all my plants and stuff down 2 flights of stairs (that's a lot of going up the stairs, too), I was absolutely bushed by 3:30am. So I threw the old humidifier in there, turned it on, and closed up. Woke up, glanced at the thermo/hygrometer receiver in the living room and it said 99% humidity. Went down there, got into the GH, and I could feel that something was up, lol, something was... different. But it was too dark to tell what. Plugged the work light in and WHAM, the greenhouse was a freaking cloud. Dense fog all throughout the place, even with the fan running on high in there. Came to my senses, noticed EVERYTHING was wet. All the plants were soaking, which they probably loved, and all the walls and racks and everything else had a nice wet sheen. Whoops, lol. Guess I need to get the hygrotherm set up. XD

But even though I soaked everything in there, which you'd think I'd be pissed about, I'm extremely excited to know that my humidifier can fill that big a space, with a fan running on high, with very dense fog. That obviously means it's more than capable of holding humidity in there around 80% (which I'm planning on setting the hygrotherm to) no problem. And that, my friends, is good news. So I start today's work with a light heart. ^.^

I'll get some pictures once I get the lights plugged in. I'm not going to get them all cleaned up and their cords tied down and everything yet - that takes too long and I'd like to spend the next couple days with my wife before she goes back to work. So I'll get them plugged in, but they won't be pretty. But at least the plants will have light.

It's so neat and tidy.

Back