Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 90 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Just so you are aware, I have bought that brand of Sphagnum once before, and will never buy it again. That is, without a doubt, the crappiest Sphagnum you can buy. It is truly the poorest quality; you can spend an hour pulling the junk out of it and what you have left is barely recognizable as Sphagnum. I would encourage you to pay a bit more next time and get a better brand. Try a "real" garden center, perhaps?
    Haha, we've been over it Paul

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    My apologies for the redundancy.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    :looking great,a fine job well done
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dionae View Post
    ^^^What corky said.
    Thanks!

Just so you are aware, I have bought that brand of Sphagnum once before, and will never buy it again. That is, without a doubt, the crappiest Sphagnum you can buy. It is truly the poorest quality; you can spend an hour pulling the junk out of it and what you have left is barely recognizable as Sphagnum. I would encourage you to pay a bit more next time and get a better brand. Try a "real" garden center, perhaps?
    I mean, yes, there is a noticeable difference and it isn't grade AAA in fluffiness. The point of sphagnum is to retain moisture, correct? It probably won't retain 100% of the moisture that New Zealand sphagnum would, but it's definitely has more water retention than other things. The only issue I see is that it may decompose quicker. I think it will come back to life pretty much as fast as higher grade sphagnum will, which is my goal. From there, I will have higher grade sphagnum than the New Zealand stuff, because it will be home grown!

Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    Are you guys suggesting that I shouldn't use it? Will it be detrimental to the neps? It was like $3 for one bag, so it's not a total loss. I know higher grade spagnum would be ideal, but won't this stuff work too?

My apologies for the redundancy.
    It's chill, always good to further discuss issues. It helps me to learn more about keeping these plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    once i tried using a bag of that same exact brand to try and grow live sphagnum moss in a 20g long tank. it smelled kind of weird when i put it in the tank, and ended up smelling even weirder when the mold started sprouting...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally prefer Chilean sphagnum. It tends to have some vegetable matter in it, but it is of a very fine quality and a bit less coarse then the NZ stuff which I find is too big and hard to break up by hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarracenia_X View Post
    once i tried using a bag of that same exact brand to try and grow live sphagnum moss in a 20g long tank. it smelled kind of weird when i put it in the tank, and ended up smelling even weirder when the mold started sprouting...
    So I'll let some of the moisture from the tank I have the sphagnum in evaporate!...

Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    I personally prefer Chilean sphagnum. It tends to have some vegetable matter in it, but it is of a very fine quality and a bit less coarse then the NZ stuff which I find is too big and hard to break up by hand.
    Yeah, well the place I got the new neps at sells buckets of live sphagnum in the spring, so I'll just buy some then lol...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get it live and dry it yourself it will be the nicest quality dried sphagnum you can get!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    If you get it live and dry it yourself it will be the nicest quality dried sphagnum you can get!
    True, but I like the look of live sphagnum better. That's what I was planning to do with the Mosser Lee sphagnum -- bring it back to life!