What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

Love that vogelii.. Can't wait for mine to start making real pitchers again.

Love that vogelii.. Can't wait for mine to start making real pitchers again.

Thanks! I actually bought it for its upper pitchers, the really long slim ones, more so than the lowers already are. So I'm waiting for uppers. It seems to be a slow but steady grower. Not too slow, but its definitely in the slowest growing group that I own, along with singalana. They're both pretty small though, so it may just be due to their age. :)

I just bought a bulb for a flower on eBay that's in the family with the world's largest flower and related to the almighty rafflesia. Amorphophallus paeonifolius.

What the adult plant looks like...

amorphophallus_paeneofolius.jpg

I'm in love with rafflesia... I can't believe I was able to get one of its relatives. :woot::drunk::awesome:

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Until now, it did not strike me that these guys only bloom for a few days, and when they do, they smell strongly of rotting flesh to attract insects for pollination... Should've known since it's related to a rafflesia... That's awkward... :-))

Pretty sure everybody buys vogelii for it's uppers. ;) Same goes for platychila.

Pretty sure everybody buys vogelii for it's uppers. ;) Same goes for platychila.

OMG just google imaged that and I NEED TO HAVE ONE! The peristome... OMG... :drool:

Going to the nep store soon in that case... :jester:

OMG just google imaged that and I NEED TO HAVE ONE! The peristome... OMG... :drool:

Going to the nep store soon in that case... :jester:

I'd be willing to part with mine, maybe. Shoot me a PM if you get an itchy trigger finger.

I'd be willing to part with mine, maybe. Shoot me a PM if you get an itchy trigger finger.

I'd rather buy one straight from my nep store so that it doesn't have to stress shipping or any of that, and that I don't have to pay shipping, haha. If I can't find one there, I'll PM you. Thanks for the offer! :)

I have two Amorphophallus konjac bu they are young little things. I look forward to when they get the giant smelly flower. I actually like Vogelii's lowers because they are so long and skinny.

I have two Amorphophallus konjac bu they are young little things. I look forward to when they get the giant smelly flower. I actually like Vogelii's lowers because they are so long and skinny.

Do you know the general size that the bulb has to be before it flowers? The one I ordered has a 1" bulb... :(

I think they'll be six inches tall from that size, with leaves but no flowers. I'm not sure how big or old they have to be for first flowers though. Mine are just spikes coming out.

I think they'll be six inches tall from that size, with leaves but no flowers. I'm not sure how big or old they have to be for first flowers though. Mine are just spikes coming out.

How many inches do the bulbs put on a year, if you've had yours long enough to know? ???

That live sphagnum is just screamin' for some feral D. prolifera in there ... :-O

That live sphagnum is just screamin' for some feral D. prolifera in there ... :-O

Eeew, drosera are weeeird! :nono:

It could be screaming for some Sarracenia purpurea, though. :blush:

Until now, it did not strike me that these guys only bloom for a few days, and when they do, they smell strongly of rotting flesh to attract insects for pollination... Should've known since it's related to a rafflesia... That's awkward... :-))

If you find you develop a "taste" for such things, I should send you a cutting of Stapelia gigantea. Not only does it look like the petals are made from decomposing Rabbit hide, it smells like it too. Delightfully fragrant on a warm morning, especially if you position it where the sun can warm the blooms. Mmmmmm.....

stapelia.jpg

(Each of these flowers is nearly a foot in diameter, by the way)

If you find you develop a "taste" for such things, I should send you a cutting of Stapelia gigantea. Not only does it look like the petals are made from decomposing Rabbit hide, it smells like it too. Delightfully fragrant on a warm morning, especially if you position it where the sun can warm the blooms. Mmmmmm.....

(Each of these flowers is nearly a foot in diameter, by the way)

Thanks! I'll let you know if I decide to take you up on that offer later on. Not into those kinds of things right now, but I may get more and more into it after I see how my Amorphophallus does. :)

Eeew, drosera are weeeird! :nono:

It could be screaming for some Sarracenia purpurea, though. :blush:

What did you just say? :0o: :nono:

I am also trying to grow arums but I chose to start with a smaller flowered species first.

Whimgrinder, I love those things. I have been looking for some. I have one tiny one I planted about four inches long and the top half got soft and fell off. I don't mind bad smells becaue my sense of smell is very poor. I LOVE that they look like starfish and I like plants that can scare people hehe.

I just sowed like 400 Black Beauty eggplant seeds, 200 seeds of Rocket Larkspur Delphinium ajacis , 100 seeds of Blanketflower Gaillardia aristata, and like 5 seeds of Autumn Beauty Helianthus annuus. I got them at the dollar store. I hate eggplants, they taste like crap, but the vegetable looks sooo cool! It's all purpley and stuff. :)

Oh yeah, and I had some chives, sweet basil and parsley to sprout... Well actually, one didn't sprout, but I'm not sure which that was...

What did you just say? :0o: :nono:

Yeah yeah yeah, I bought some wire hanging baskets, cocohusk liner and hanging poles (you stick em in the ground and they hang your basket) and I'm gonna fill them with whatever sarrs like to grow in and they're going to grow at the door of my greenhouse by my banana trees. :woot:

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

And just planted about 75 spinach and 75 cilantro seeds! :D

I just bought four coffee trees on eBay! :-D

I'll use their beans to fertilize my Nepenthes. :banana2:

I received my Amorphophallus paeoniifolius today. It was a bit smaller than expected, about .75" across... I would take a pic but I potted it. It had a little, tiny bump on the top, so I'm assuming it was sprouting and it won't rot. In about 3-4 years, I'll get a flower! In the mean time, I can enjoy the mottled stem and the cool leaf pattern. :-D

Do these guys propagate their bulbs? Like, do little bulbs grow on these and separate? Will I get more bulbs to grow? :-O

Back