Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 12 of 90 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my failed moss tank, i tried using a pc fan with the plug "snik"ed off with wire cutters. i wanted to use a humidistat, but i didnt have one, so i just soldered the pc fan to the wires on a AC to DC power adapter. it had a switch adjustable from 3 volts to 12 volts. i attached it to the mesh top right on top of a hole in the cellophane that i put on top of the cover, the "air intake" then i cut a same sized hole in the opposite corner, the "air output". i wold turn on the fan when the tank was too humid. i was afraid that if i left the fan on too long, or permanantly (even on the lowest setting) thas the moss wouldnt have enough humidity to sprout. when i first saw the damp off, i permanently kept the fan on the lowest setting, and tried to eradicate it with a homemade "fungicide" of very diluted hydrogen peroxide . but by then my tank was overrun. it was too late. my cape sundew was lucky to make it out alive...

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarracenia_X View Post
    in my failed moss tank, i tried using a pc fan with the plug "snik"ed off with wire cutters. i wanted to use a humidistat, but i didnt have one, so i just soldered the pc fan to the wires on a AC to DC power adapter. it had a switch adjustable from 3 volts to 12 volts. i attached it to the mesh top right on top of a hole in the cellophane that i put on top of the cover, the "air intake" then i cut a same sized hole in the opposite corner, the "air output". i wold turn on the fan when the tank was too humid. i was afraid that if i left the fan on too long, or permanantly (even on the lowest setting) thas the moss wouldnt have enough humidity to sprout. when i first saw the damp off, i permanently kept the fan on the lowest setting, and tried to eradicate it with a homemade "fungicide" of very diluted hydrogen peroxide . but by then my tank was overrun. it was too late. my cape sundew was lucky to make it out alive...
    Ah, so I shouldn't keep the saran wrap on top of the tank? The humidity in the greenhouse is like 60% and I'll keep the moss damp. That will give it some good air flow I suppose.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

I did a little bit of photoshopping...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The leaf on my Pasian Highlands N. truncata fully unfolded and a pitcher appears to be forming. I believe I'm seeing the start of the tongue right now. I'm surprised that the neps settled in so quickly. Hopefully they won't be too shocked when I move them to the greenhouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a place on the door where air can get through. It was 1" wide gap running all the way up the 6' door. I used some weather tape and made a little barrier, so now no air gets through. I did the same on the other side of the door and it's completely sealed off now!

...But it looks like crap and the tackiness bothers me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it doesn't have tape on it it's not finished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All done with the shelves!!!

Each shelf is 3'6" tall with two racks, one on the top and one in the middle. There is space under each one to put anything I want to -- more plants, thermal objects, sphagnum, supplies, etc. They looked pretty tacky at first, but now that they're all in there, it looks really nice! I'm going to clamp the wire rack part down to the wood later today. I'm also going to look at cheap barrels/containers of water that I could put under the shelves to hold water so that the humidity stays at a high level. They will also act as thermal objects... I think I might put some plants in them and throw some herbivorous fish in there.

Pasian Highlands N. truncata's new pitcher!

N. ventricosa x talangensis's two basal shoots are growing like weeds!

Can anyone tell if this is just algae or if this is new growth? I added a tiny bit of green sphagnum from my N. singalana pot to a few strands of sphagnum from my N. ventricosa x talangensis pot about two weeks ago. The N. singalana pot had evenly-green sphagnum when I got it. It feels slimy, but crisp, unlike my other sphagnum. Is it just algae? Will it even sprout? It's holding A LOT of water, more so than the sphagnum from my N. ventricosa x talangensis pot, which has the same sphagnum I believe.

My N. singalana's new pitcher is growing quickly and is starting to color up. Can't wait until I get to feed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketcaver View Post
    If it doesn't have tape on it it's not finished.
    You can say that again! Haha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you live that it still looks like that outside? I miss the grass and trees with leaves..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    Where do you live that it still looks like that outside? I miss the grass and trees with leaves..
    Haha, not exactly. Most of the trees are leafless and I water my lawn. :P