0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jealous! Awesome looking greenhouse!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want some live Sphagnum to get a decent colony started, I will send you some. It's easy to grow a significant colony in a short time if you start with live stuff:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking spectacular!
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you really have thrown yourself into it,respect and good luck

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    jealous! Awesome looking greenhouse!!
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    If you want some live Sphagnum to get a decent colony started, I will send you some. It's easy to grow a significant colony in a short time if you start with live stuff:-)
    I actually found a garden shop around here that sells live sphagnum. I'm planning to go there soon. Thanks for the offer though! Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    Looking spectacular!
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    you really have thrown yourself into it,respect and good luck
    Thanks!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaf Deformation

So I have a few questions regarding my N. ventricosa x talangensis. The last leaf it produced was deformed a bit, with an edge that look like it was burn off. This new leaf also has that trait a little bit.

Old leaf...

New leaf...

The new leaf doesn't have this trait as much. These two leaves are the only it has fully produced in my month of having it. The leaf that was opening right as I received the plant looks fine. Maybe this is just from the stress of shipping? The trait seems less prominent on this leaf, so it may be going away, but I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

This N. ventricosa x talangensis came with two, very tiny basal shoots, which both have put out three or four new leaves. Each leave is larger than the previous, and no ill affects. Not sure if they're going to produce pitchers. Sadly, this basal, produced in just a month, is larger than my N. singalana.....

Healthy basal shoots

Also, it won't produce pitchers. I mean, I guess I'm expecting it to settle in immediately and create pitchers, but the truncata I received in the same online order just created a new leaf which is quickly forming a pitcher. I read or was told somewhere on here that talangensis won't pitcher in low humidity. It's been above 80% constantly, and now hovers around 90%. I'm confused because everything seems perfect. It's growing like a weed, but I guess that doesn't mean it's happy. I understand it can take many months for them to settle in, but being a ventricosa hybrid and having hybrid vigor, I'm kinda surprised. My pure species truncata settled in better, and my three new neps that came with forming pitchers are continuing to form them.

Temp - 64-68 night, 74-78 day (usually a 10 degree change day/night)
    Humidity - 80% in most of the terrarium, 90% at the bottom near the bottom around the pots
    Watering - Watered when the substrate is lightly moist, but it never dries out

(Sorry for so much typing, I'm just too worried I suppose!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a seed grown ventricosa X talangensis and it took five months to make any respectable growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I have a seed grown ventricosa X talangensis and it took five months to make any respectable growth.
    Odd... Mine has grown at least 6" on the main tip in the past month. Each basal has to be at least 4" across by now.

14th December, 2011

20th December, 2011

2nd January, 2012

16th January, 2012

Is it possible that the plant could be growing so quickly to get more light or something? I'm going to be moving them into the greenhouse in a few weeks...