Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 90 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found three kinds of moss growing on a tree in my backyard. One of which, I was extremely happy to find. It will look great around neps.

(Growing on the bark of the tree trunk, potted in bark, tall, fluffy, medium-green)

At first, I thought the following one was the one above just starting to spout up because it was growing together, but after closer examination, it is darker and the structure is different, plus, it has little things sticking up that spores were on.

(Growing on the bark of the tree trunk, potted in bark, small/short/dark-green)

And then there was this stuff... I've noticed this stuff growing all around the trunks of every tree I have for years, but I've never really collected it for any reason. I saw a bunch of this stuff which caught my eye, and it led me to the two mosses above. This stuff was growing in the dirt around the trunk of the tree, but not on the trunk. I don't believe it is Oregon Green Moss, which I was starting to culture back when I started this thread, but then somebody informed me it was a toxic soil addition... Anyways, I don't think it's the same stuff. I found no medium-sized (between this moss's size and the Oregon Green Moss's size) with the same structure, and there was no mature Oregon Green Moss anywhere near where I got these, so I don't think it is the same.

(Growing in the ground around the tree, potted in potting soil, short/tiny/light-green to medium-green)

So what do you guys think? Any able to ID? Opinions? I think the moss in the first picture is my favorite and will be what I culture in the long term for my neps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't wait anymore...

This time, my goal was to get something different. Of course, I made sure to ask if they were simple to keep, and the owner of the shop said they were fairly simple, not too picky.

N. vogelii

N. jacquelineae

I'm quite happy with both of them. The vogelii will become extremely elongated and has a nice striped peristome. The jacquelineae is shaped like a toilet, not like most other neps. Can't wait until they get bigger!

Oh yeah, and I also got a nice bunch of live sphagnum, which I split into two containers. It's just the sphagnum, they aren't growing on anything else.

One tub of live sphagnum, plus my two new neps, N. vogelii and N. jacquelineae

The sphagnum is being grown in my greenhouse. It came from far north America and into Canada according to the owner of the shop I got it from. It turns more brown in the winter apparently, so I don't know what to expect for the spring or summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The newest leaf on each of the basal shoots of my N. ventricosa x talangensis is forming a pitcher! I'm so excited!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can't wait for my vogelii to put on some size. Very nice sir..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    can't wait for my vogelii to put on some size. Very nice sir..
    Thanks!

Is vogelii slower growing than most neps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. ventricosa x talangensis basal pitcher forming

N. Vogelii against 'Ventrata'

'Ventrata' peristome

N. jacquelineae forming

N. densiflora x spectabilis pitcher forming

N. Vogelii pitcher forming

N. 'Peter D'amato' x Maxima pitcher forming

Pasian Highlands N. truncata pitcher forming

6 plants in my collection of 8 (N. ventricosa x talangensis basal top middle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice collection!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered some seeds on eBay!

N. Adrianii - 1 pod