What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

I don't think isn't going to root... think of it like a branch on a tree. Purely above ground from the looks of it.

I don't think isn't going to root... think of it like a branch on a tree. Purely above ground from the looks of it.

It actually was below ground at one point... It had some sort of fugly moss growing over the medium, so I ripped that out. I think I remember finding this basal when I first got the plant IIRC. I replaced it with sphagnum and it was covered up until I just rearranged the sphagnum on it. ???

Looking good! Yes, live spag will protect it till it puts out a few leaves then uncover it. If you get nights into the 50's in the midst of summer, you may be able to grow a N. villosa ;).

It actually was below ground at one point... It had some sort of fugly moss growing over the medium, so I ripped that out. I think I remember finding this basal when I first got the plant IIRC. I replaced it with sphagnum and it was covered up until I just rearranged the sphagnum on it. ???
ah I don't know then... maybe pile some more media on it?

Looking good! Yes, live spag will protect it till it puts out a few leaves then uncover it. If you get nights into the 50's in the midst of summer, you may be able to grow a N. villosa ;).

Just checked last year's night temperatures from May-August... It was all mid fifties at night, only one day hit 90F during the day and two nights hit 60F and 61F... I think I would be good with ultra highlanders, it's just they're so darn expensive! I don't want to attempt killing one until I have more experience. :jester:

ah I don't know then... maybe pile some more media on it?

Just wrapped it in four, 2" growth tips of LFS from my tub of live sphagnum. I wetted it down and it stuck tight to the basal. I do see the start of what *could* be future roots, but there will be no way to check it out later without ripping the roots off. I'll just have to leave it and once it's a large vine I can remove that sphagnum and check.

The leaves on the plants look a little limp, but not too bad. They're nice and wet. I decided I'm just going to move one a day. Here's what went out a few minutes ago...

N. boschiana x mira
2h3obic.jpg

N. boschiana x mira
34t2tyq.jpg

Just moved another. This makes 8 plants out there now. By leaving the lid of the terrarium open, it dropped the humidity REALLY low, so all of the plants produced like deformed pitchers. They're going to be really happy when in the greenhouse with 90% humidity at night! :-O

N. x 'Peter D'amato' x maxima
8zlesy.jpg

N. x 'Peter D'amato' x maxima
ngv81k.jpg

The greenhouse collection...
1zva22w.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Got a little impatient... :blush:

2rh759l.jpg

I actually figured they would like 90% night humidity, brighter light, air flow and a big temperature swing more than a 40% 65F day/night terrarium with the lid open... :jester:

When I was moving them, this little guy (N. densiflora x spectabilis) had all these little white blobs all over it, hundreds and hundreds, smaller than sphagnum flakes and all between the node and a bit of the leaf, so impossible to get to. I had to cut at least five leaves off, pull off the remainders so that I could get down to the stem, then wipe the entire thing down with alcohol. Weren't just on the plant part, they were all over the pitchers, tendrils and leaves too. I just wiped the entire thing with alcohol swabs and put the sphagnum back on it, then soaked it. So I don't know... If I lose it, I won't be upset. It's not doing all that great... It's growing slowly, covered in red splotches, it's had all these egg things on it... It's just a mess. It looked great when I bought it... Not sure what happened. All of the other neps are okay. Here's the poor little guy...

24n4k03.jpg

:down:

beautiful collection. Sorry to hear about your infested nep.

beautiful collection. Sorry to hear about your infested nep.

Thank you!

The infested nep is just a minor setback. It hasn't spread to any of my other nepenthes yet. :)

Maybe try a sytemic insecticide as a preventative measure.

Just moved the seeds out to the greenhouse. No lid. I flooded the tank with water to just a bit below where the seeds are, so they aren't in water, but they're extremely moist and it will be super humid around them.

Maybe try a sytemic insecticide as a preventative measure.

Yeah, I probably will pick something like Bayer Advanced soon. If it comes back, then I'll just cut the plant back and let it resprout.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but I bought two female guppies and one male guppy from a local breeder in February. They stayed inside for two weeks, and then when I got my shade cloth, heating and cooling, the entire tank was taken outside without filtration, aeration or any water movement. Just plants, decaying plants and more plants... And guppies of course! I have about 20 babies or more in there that they gave birth to.

Video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnL8LAX-X3Y

Nice videos! So jealous of your greenhouse. I need to move out of the city...

There's a big brown dead patch on my N. densiflora x spectabilis... I think it's going to die... ???

N. ventricosa x talangensis
v4ly4w.jpg

N. x 'Ventrata'
v43sl0.jpg

N. ??? (Stenophylla hybrid)
ng3tqh.jpg

Nice videos! So jealous of your greenhouse. I need to move out of the city...

Thanks!

can we se a pic of that brown spot? is it on a pitcher or leaf?

btw, i love that stenophylla hybrid!

So for the last few days when the greenhouse gets into the low to mid 80s, some of my Nepenthes wilt... But not the highlanders, it's the intermediates that wilt, like vogelii and boschiana x mira... They're well watered, so I don't see what is happening... The ultra highlanders (singalana) stay strong and continue to produce grow pitchers without malfunction, even though the singalana is like 4" across and the humidity dips into the 30% range during the day. It just doesn't make sense! :crazy:

can we se a pic of that brown spot? is it on a pitcher or leaf?

btw, i love that stenophylla hybrid!

I really like the steno too. Mainly because it's pitchers don't wilt when the temperature goes above like 3 degrees. :censor:

I think the brown spot is alcohol burn, may be wrong though.

21o7re9.jpg

ah, its on a leaf. do u think the whole plant could die, or just the leaf?

Back