What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

i just looked on the harbor freight website, realized how FREAKIN INEXPENSIVE this thing is and now i want one! mow the yard all summer, rake leaves in fall, shovel snow in winter, and next spring, their just might be a thread titled "sarr_X's new GH!"!!!:-O:-O:-O:-O

:-D

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

:bananna:

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

why does that not make a dancing bananna???????????

i just looked on the harbor freight website, realized how FREAKIN INEXPENSIVE this thing is and now i want one! mow the yard all summer, rake leaves in fall, shovel snow in winter, and next spring, their just might be a thread titled "sarr_X's new GH!"!!!:-O:-O:-O:-O

Haha, yeah, it's a great greenhouse. But it needs some mods, like heater/cooler/shade cloth/water-proofing/filling cracks/ect...

Yay! TF is back up! :boogie:

Pics soon! :)

Last edited:
NEW VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Y-PpefdV4

Okay, well I took Tony Paroubek's advice and hooked up the swamp cooler to the outside air... Didn't work out as expected. :(

Because it worked out better! I cut a hole in the back middle panel and made an air duct ghetto-style out of foil tape. In full sun yesterday, it was 85F inside the greenhouse with the door open and the swamp cooler on high. I close the door and within 15 minutes it's at 80F, still in full sun. Later that evening, it was even cooler inside there than my house was, and it was still in the high 70s outside. I'm so happy! :boogie:

11b6pue.jpg

5a0wux.jpg

At Home Depot, I was looking for some Nepenthes and I found Plumeria fangipani, which I had considered ordering two on eBay for $40 total, and they were on the $3 rack! I grabbed up the biggest two (well, biggest two of different colors, I was hoping different wrapping color meant different color flower) and then spotted a nice phal on the same rack for $3... So I bought it too! :-D

Plumeria, nanners, pineapples, (dead? lol) Nepenthes seeds...
fy1opj.jpg

Phal...
13yhydk.jpg

Nice Phal. I picked one up yesterday from the discount bin. I love the light yellow ones. Hehe, I saw your video. I get little notes since I'm subbed :D

I just collected four tadpoles (legal limit) along the side of a busy road. Felt so awkward. I think I'm officially socially awkward. The tadpoles went into a tub in my greenhouse until I figure out if I'm going to put them in my pond or set up a terrarium for them in the greenhouse. I was exploring the idea of starting a population of frogs in the greenhouse, but I have a feeling I might regret that later. Plus, I was thinking about using the large tank I had to breed guppies in the greenhouse. ???

Nice Phal. I picked one up yesterday from the discount bin. I love the light yellow ones. Hehe, I saw your video. I get little notes since I'm subbed :D

Haha, yeah, I like the phal too. I used to be into paphs phrags and cypes, but I've realized the beauty and simplicity of phals... I think I'm going to pick up a white one and a pink/purple spotted one at my local farmer's market today. Just a few to make the greenhouse pretty. :-D

I have what sounds like a million tree frogs in my backyard. Started out with a few, now sounds like a wetlands back there in the middle of the city, deafening at times :lol: If you want this effect in your greenhouse or yard, put in a water barrel or small pond with some water plants and they will breed readily.

You need a permit to collect tadpoles? What state?

I have what sounds like a million tree frogs in my backyard. Started out with a few, now sounds like a wetlands back there in the middle of the city, deafening at times :lol: If you want this effect in your greenhouse or yard, put in a water barrel or small pond with some water plants and they will breed readily.

You need a permit to collect tadpoles? What state?

Bahaha, it's really stupid here. I mean, nobody has a permit for collecting tadpoles, they just do it. I did some research and you technically have to have a fish and game license to collect them and the legal limit is four in your possession. Luckily, I had bought a fish and game license to go fishing, so I'm all set. I think this species of frog (hyla regilla AKA pacific chorus frog or pacific treefrog) runs all the way up to Washington and possibly parts of Canada. Their call is so loud you can hear it from miles away, as the closet body of water to my house is a good few miles away (the drainage ditch where I got these is pretty far too), and I can hear them at night. Pretty annoying.

I had for tubs of water in the greenhouse, but I found a snake under one so I don't set anything on the floor anymore lol. The tank I was going to use for a terrarium is too heavy to fill full with water for my guppies, so it may become a terrarium. It just takes up a ton of space that could be used for neps though.

Loud is an understatement, deafening would be a better word, haha. Tree frogs will attract garter snakes. My yard is full of those snakes now, but keeps the frog population down, LOL.

Loud is an understatement, deafening would be a better word, haha. Tree frogs will attract garter snakes. My yard is full of those snakes now, but keeps the frog population down, LOL.

Gonna move the frogs out of the greenhouse as soon as they change in that case... I hate snakes. :0o:

I love snakes! Give me some ;D

I love snakes! Give me some ;D

I would have to guess it would be illegal to collect native snakes for sale and send them to a place where they aren't native... Plus, I refuse to catch a snake. :blush:

If you are worried about snakes, pretend to be someone who has a unhealthy obsession with snakes (like me). That'll keep them away :-D

The little derpface first wouldn't grow, then it got bugs, then it got alcohol burn, and now it is turning yellow. At least the growth tip is like... Not dead?

95ybsj.jpg

Not to mention wavy leaves now... :censor:

My N. x 'Ventrata' is not repotta. :-O

2jdmik4.jpg

50/50 peat perlite... But I used the EXTREMELY high grade stuff for this, did not want to skimp out on this! I used half a bail of Mosser Lee grade AAA sphagnum and a mighty good portion of MiracleGro perlite with added fertilizer. :-D

Okay, maybe not the highest quality... But I did do my research on the fertilized sphagnum. I did a search on TF and found three or four people had used it unknowingly with no problems. Another pointed out that they just put enough on the perlite to be able to say its fertilized. It has on it 0.04-0.01-0.06 fertilizer... I personally don't think that will kill a Nepenthes... Who knows. I rinsed the sphagnum and the perlite in RO/DI, and once I potted the plant, I flushed the pot to where most of the water ran out the bottom. We'll see how it goes.

I didn't separate the basal because number one, I couldn't rip it off, and number two, eventually the whole plant is going to become three or four long vines with no leaves around the base, so I just left it. :blush:

Just did my first very light coffee treatment. I used my five smallest plants. I put 2/3 cup of the coffee in there and it drained out the bottom, so it's pretty much coffee-ey... Here's the plants right after the first coffee treatment... (I took the live sphagnum off while putting the coffee in just in case)

N. truncata Pasian Highlands
20uu6au.jpg

N. densiflora x spectabilis
11aland.jpg

N. vogelii
lirfp.jpg

N. jacquelineae
dmp5di.jpg

N. singalana
2zqy4as.jpg

I put two tablespoons of Columbia coffee grounds into four cups of distilled water and warmed it in a pot to the temperature of a hot bath. It stirred it around a bit. It was the color of tea. I tasted some that was left after the treatment and it tasted more like water than anything, so it was pretty weak. I'll post more pics once their pitchers on the new leaves they put out develop.

the coffee is supposed to be fertilizer, i take it?

the coffee is supposed to be fertilizer, i take it?

Lance has proof of it doubling or tripling the leaf size after treatements. It makes the soil more acidic too.

Back