Page 18 of 90 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For frogs & possibly fish...

Four of these to raise the humidity and culture guppies to feed to my neps and frogs...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you feed your neps fish when you can just buy freeze dried bloodworms?
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trays of standing water alone will not provide adequate humidity, but then I suppose you'll find this out for yourself. I've made several recommendations for achieving your goals and offered assistance in selecting appropriate equipment to do so, but you seem happier to disregard advice given to you. I guess there is something to be said for finding your own solutions.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Trays of standing water alone will not provide adequate humidity, but then I suppose you'll find this out for yourself. I've made several recommendations for achieving your goals and offered assistance in selecting appropriate equipment to do so, but you seem happier to disregard advice given to you. I guess there is something to be said for finding your own solutions.....
    I didn't read anything specifically about keeping humidity high other than to put water into the air. There's evaporation, misting, ect. What would you recommend? If you really don't think these containers will help raise the humidity around the racks at all, then I might as well return them and get my money back, but I would like to try them out just to see if they retain heat or add to the humidity just a bit.

I'm still deciding on the heating/cooling. Money isn't really the issue, it's more so that the greenhouse is less than 10' from my house, and if anything caught on fire, my house would be gone. It almost happened to my friend's house, but luckily he caught it in time and only his greenhouse burned down. That's basically my concern. I'm probably going to get heating/cooling though. I was gonna get a 1500w heating fan I found online and a cheap swamp cooler to humidify the air and cool down the greenhouse on hot days. Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get an ultrasonic humidifier to bring your humidity up. Thats what a lot of people use and its a relatively cheap solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Folks:

I've enjoyed reading this thread. Whimgrinder and others have made excellent suggestions on how to run a small hobby house but in the end you need to get in there and figure out what works and doesn't, probably after spending a bit of money and time and reinventing the wheel.

To truly run a small hobby house in working condition where the plants will grow properly figure you will sped the equivalent of buying a good used car, or perhaps even a new one. I'm not joking. You might seriously consider that your money is better spent on lights and a series of terrariums in a climate controlled house. Therein lies the rub. Small hobby houses are notorious for their difficulty in controlling climate because of their large surface area relative to the volume of air inside.

We have a 10 x 20 glass/aluminum greenhouse and it has taken us about 10 years to get it really cranking and working to perfection (we went through the bubble wrap phase to hold expensive propane heat). Key items: concrete slab floor with drains for ease of ceaning and hygiene, electrical upgrade @200 amps $1000, various heating systems from 2, 25,000 Btu propane heaters at $500 each with annual operating cost of $2000/year at 65-70F, upgraded heating system to outside wood furnace heating house and greenhouse - $14,000 which is paying for itself versus cost of propane, growing benches @several thousand dollars built by us of wood, plumbing done by us for both clean potable water and pond water, instant water heat @ $500, T5 and HPS lights $2000, evaporative cooler @$500, shade cloth @$200.

Well that's a good start at your initial expense getting the greenhouse to do what it should do. Not childs play.

Sincerely,

Phil Sherida, Ph.D.
    Director
    Meadowview Biological
    Research Station

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I don't want this to seem like I'm not taking your or anyone else's advice, but I really don't think it would cost that much to run a tiny, cheap greenhouse. I'm up for the 1500w $15 fan heater and an $80 swamp cooler. I've spent $600 so far on everything and I'm not going to let it go to waste. I don't have the $20,000 to make my 48 square foot greenhouse run perfectly. I'm doing what I can and if it doesn't work out then I'll turn it into a butterfly garden or something lol. It's not the ideal option to do it cheaply, but it's what I can do and I'll enjoy it just as much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running mine very cheap. All I use is a 1200w space heater($25) during the winter plugged into a thermostat($30) to keep temps at 70f during the day and 50f at night. I have a 400w air conditioner($100) that I use during the summer along with shade cloth($20 at walmart) to keep it as cool as possible. Now, I have a few hot days where it impossible to keep temps below 95f but for the most part everything is manageable enough to keep things happy.

Btw, I use one of the cheapo greenhouses with the plastic covering($70). I've had to replace a lil of the plastic but besides that its very functional.