Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't hold heat in the winter. So people in areas like mine (zone 5) can still only use them during the warm seasons.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    They don't hold heat in the winter. So people in areas like mine (zone 5) can still only use them during the warm seasons.
    I'm in zone 9-10. It only gets down to the mid twenties once, if at all, during the winter, but usually stays around 35F during the coldest part of the night. It never snows, but sometimes it frosts. I think it will hold a bit of heat, but I've never owned a greenhouse before, so I don't know for sure. I'll have to experiment and see.

I'm going to be experimenting with natural ways of heating, such as placing thermal objects or using hot water to achieve warmth. I'll be experimenting before I add the plants though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like perfect placement! I bet your plants are going to be very colourful. Looking forward to more pics when it's filled with plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to start digging up the grass/weeds inside the greenhouse today so that I can have a nice clean floor. I'm going to put down that black weed cover fabric to prevent any plants from growing out of the soil. Not sure what I'm going to do for ground cover inside the greenhouse, but I'm thinking of either putting a wood floor in or putting gravel down. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
    Seems like perfect placement! I bet your plants are going to be very colourful. Looking forward to more pics when it's filled with plants.
    Thanks. Hopefully my plants will like the greenhouse! I have hanging baskets for the Ventrata and the Ventricosa x Talangensis, but I need to find a way to hang the baskets first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Thanks!!

It's sitting on the 4" tall foundation, so that moves it up to 5'8" high. I do have to duck a little, but it's not at the point where it's annoying.
    That's not too bad then! You will only hit your head once! Also for that price that's a steal IMO. I personally would probably put down a good layer of 3/4 crush and pack it down, but never done a greenhouse before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice! i have always wanted a simple greenhouse.. so it will be interesting to see how it preforms for you (though you are in a warmer zone).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    That's not too bad then! You will only hit your head once! Also for that price that's a steal IMO. I personally would probably put down a good layer of 3/4 crush and pack it down, but never done a greenhouse before.
    Yup, it was a great deal. Maybe for flooring, I could use native sphagnum.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
    nice! i have always wanted a simple greenhouse.. so it will be interesting to see how it preforms for you (though you are in a warmer zone).
    I'll keep this topic updated as much as possible. I think the plants will do better in the greenhouse where they can get more sun, and they're already doing amazingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool. That is similar to my greenhouse. I know what you mean about the instructions, took me forever to put it up. I look forward to seeing your progress with it!

Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast