What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

Okay, so I broke the guppy rule of 1m/2f and got another male because its tail was really big and it was shiny. :-D

dz7yqb.jpg

I realized that my guppy tank was crap... Everything was decaying, it was just a mess... And I hadn't been able to feed through the mess, so 30 babies were eaten and the females stopped impregnating. So today I went to petco and bought some food, some water conditioner and a 10g tank. I was going to get a 5.5g, but it was $5 more than the $10 because... IDK... But anyways, I set it up with sand, hose water and water conditioner...

52e0yr.jpg

Right now, you can't see through it because the sand has to settle. While cleaning out their previous tank I did find one larger baby, so I added it to the new tank. I bunched the living plants together and stuck them into the sand so they could root. Should look nice. All along the back of the tank.
The fish were a bit stressed when I put them in, but that's understandable.

20f3h9e.jpg

I'll post pics tomorrow once its cleared up. As you can see, I actually have a filter in this one, so that should add heat on colder nights. But it never goes below 50F in the greenhouse anyways, so...

Teh first male, much smaller than the newest one...
2mfx5dl.jpg

Their 10g greenhouse tank, 50-60F night 60-75F day.
117zcit.jpg

First pair... Mutt red male and lyre tail female...
314cz28.jpg

Second pair... Blue delta tail male and lyre tail female...
10fcio9.jpg

That blue male again...
oqje50.jpg

Current temp...
35chcia.jpg

Should make some interesting crosses. The females are interchangeable, all four adults are in the same tank. The females stopped becoming pregnant a few weeks ago because they haven't been fed in a long, long time, mainly because their previous tank was so messy with decaying plants that I couldn't find the fish to feed them. Now they get flake food every day when I'm in the greenhouse and frozen bloodworms when I have extra time.

N. stenophylla x displaying a bigger peristome on its newest pitcher...
nci24p.jpg

Nice! I wish we knew what it was, but the good thing about extensive grew hybrids is they are very hardy and produce varying results in pitchers!

wow piney that pitcher looks like a candy cane :) love it

Nice! I wish we knew what it was, but the good thing about extensive grew hybrids is they are very hardy and produce varying results in pitchers!

Kinda reminds me of a platychila peristome, just the peristome, but just the color... Definitely not a hybrid with platy though.

wow piney that pitcher looks like a candy cane :) love it

IKR? Thanks! :)

Sorry, more guppy crap...

NEW GREENHOUSE VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzVo48GNwac

I ordered Thai Black Moscows on aquabid. The females have long dorsal fins that stretch all the way back to their tail. So do the males. The males are 100% black. Getting the trio soon, hopefully by Freitag. Here's a picture of the strain from the seller...

fwguppies1339468210.jpg

So excited! This means I can use the babies from my other guppies to feed my neps and use the pure-bred babies to sell. :boogie:

I still wonder why your feeding your neps baby fish. If you really want to feed your plants why not use freeze-dried blood worms or if you want live food, crickets. I just feel that it's unessicary to use live fish.

he would have to breed or buy crickets whereas hes breeding the fish anyway so he will have alot of them at his disposal.

I still wonder why your feeding your neps baby fish. If you really want to feed your plants why not use freeze-dried blood worms or if you want live food, crickets. I just feel that it's unessicary to use live fish.

I'm not feeding them baby fish yet... But I may start. I explained this in chat a bit ago... The guppies I currently have are fairly nice, pure strains, however each and every one is from a different strain. When they have babies, I'll have a mix of mutts. After three-four months, I'll start culling, which is where the Nepenthes come in. What I'm left with will be the nicer mutts. The nicer mutts will start breeding and I will remove the parents to reduce inbreeding. The babies of those will be culled after three-four months, which is where the Nepenthes come in again. The process will be repeated until I have a strain of fish containing genes from all of the current guppies I have.

The guppies I just ordered aren't plant food. Those are pure-bred, show-quality guppies that will be selectively bred and sold back on aquabid. The only ones of those that would become nep food are the deformed ones. So the Nepenthes are my way of culling, and they will benefit from it! :)

he would have to breed or buy crickets whereas hes breeding the fish anyway so he will have alot of them at his disposal.

I actually catch bugs around my property and feed them to my neps. Anything from 2" spiders to ants to giant crane flies. Since my neps are outside, each pitchers catches a lot of bugs. I have some nep pitchers filled with hundreds and hundreds of ants, for real, hundreds.

Coffee treatment... 11/6/12
Flush... 13/6/12

My Thai Black Moscows came! :boogie:

Group of four (an extra male was sent)...
156g5dx.jpg

Male with the smallest tail...
27zr5i.jpg

Female (notice the elongated dorsal fin)
ilzs3m.jpg

lowii x spectabilis
ic7q1e.jpg

burd x eddie
300f71v.jpg

mulu x lowii
2mxmm8x.jpg

Family photo...
5vchex.jpg

awesome plants! :)

Thai Black Moscows (babies will go into greenhouse tanks, first female dropped last night!)

35arpfp.jpg

awesome plants! :)

Thanks! :)

Mulu x lowii :drool:

IKR? Biggest one I've ever seen IRL. The dude said it wasn't that slow of a grower either. I really think I lucked out on the lowii x spec though. :)

We may soon be able to determine the hybrid! :spazz:

33vc07c.jpg

Back