Page 21 of 90 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by limeslide View Post
    everything is perfect about that boschiana x mira.
    I would have rather just gotten a straight boschiana because I hate mira. I like the shape of boschiana better, I like the color better and I love the peristome on it. I think the mira kind of ruined it if it weren't for the purple color. The purple is very nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully this isn't a representation of what mature pitchers will look like.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no no no.. tis' only a baby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    no no no.. tis' only a baby.
    Good. Then maybe it's peristome will plump up and turn purple and the pitcher itself will turn white.

That upper tendril cascaded down about 8" and is wiggling around every day. Some days I would find it resting on my singalana's lid, other days it would just be hanging in mid air. Now, it's resting in a groove on my N. 'Peter D'amato' x maxima. I can see a tiny indent in the tip of the tendril. Hopefully it will turn into a pitcher. Does it usually take this long (2 weeks) to prep for building up a pitcher?

^ It's looked like that for two weeks. The tendril is very active and seems to appear different places all the time. I just checked the terrarium to take the picture and it was in the sphagnum of another pot. I just left it there, so hopefully it will grow a pitcher and surprise me!
    Last edited by Nepenthesis; 06-17-2013 at 07:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDIT: This post somehow got a very, very inappropriate picture in it that wasn't here when I posted it last year. Wasn't sure which URL it was that needed to be removed so I removed the entire post as fast as I could to get whatever it was off the forums. I was unaware that it was there until someone PM'd be able it.

I think it was a simple case of the URL being switched out. That's why it is best to upload straight from your files. With picture hosting sites, they can put any picture they want to in the URL.
    Last edited by Nepenthesis; 06-17-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have enjoyed reading this thread. Are you also in Florida? Your weather sounds just like mine. You should be able to grow a variety of nepenthes, inside too. I see that same sphagnum at Lowe's and have used it too. I really like the shelf design. Simple and functional. I may have to try to build some of those. I need some shelves for outside. And I'm looking forward to your seed progress as well. Keep the updates coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thagirion View Post
    I have enjoyed reading this thread. Are you also in Florida? Your weather sounds just like mine. You should be able to grow a variety of nepenthes, inside too. I see that same sphagnum at Lowe's and have used it too. I really like the shelf design. Simple and functional. I may have to try to build some of those. I need some shelves for outside. And I'm looking forward to your seed progress as well. Keep the updates coming.
    Haha, I wish I lived in Florida so much! The humidity and temperature would be high enough to grow my neps inside and outside without a greenhouse all year! Hopefully life drags me to somewhere tropical where I can have an outside Nepenthes garden.

That brand of sphag has fascinated me... Once it had been moist for about a month, the growth tips started to turn soft and green again. They came back to life, miraculously! That brand gets a bad rap for nothing.

I really like the shelves as well. There is space to put things on the ground level, as well as the two shelves is has. I just used little 'U' shaped, double-pointy-ended nails to fasten the shelf part to the frame so that it won't bow as much.

I'm checking the seeds every day, hoping that there will be little green sprouts coming out of the sphag earlier than it's actually going to happen, haha. I'll post updates as soon as I see the first sign of germination. The humidity in that little tank stays right around 70% during the day and 90% at night, which I can expect for 85F days. Looks like they should be sprouting soon! It's been a whole week since I sowed them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's not completely tropical here. We get at least three frosts a year with a handful of nights in the 20's at worst. This year we really dodged that bullet. I'm so ready for the new growing season which for me starts today.

I saw all that and agree with you. I don't see what's so bad about that moss. I've had very little debris in mine. I bought the one by Better Grow also in Lowe's orchid section just to see the difference. It's whiter and has fatter pieces that I found more difficult to work with. They aren't as soft. And yes, I have had "grass" grow out of mine that I'm always pulling out. I was rather surprised. It does hold moisture nicely which I like and really only need to water my inside plants twice a week with a good soaking.

I went to Lowe's recently and was looking at those closet racks. There are two kinds. A skinny and a wider one. Looks like you're using the skinnier one. I also saw a little all wood shelf at Wal-mart I took a pic of that was made of 2x4's, 2x2's and what looked like fence pannels that seemed very nice and practical and might try that design too. The U shaped nails sound like a good idea.

I've got some seeds too but I don't think they're going to come up. I think I did it wrong. But I've got more on the way and will try again. Unfortunately I hear it takes a long time like a few months even with good seeds. Tough on our patience.