Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 24 of 90 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep us posted! Would be interested to find out more. Very pretty. The leaves look like some sort of N. maxima something in the background too. You said there were others? Did they look different?
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Keep us posted! Would be interested to find out more. Very pretty. The leaves look like some sort of N. maxima something in the background too. You said there were others? Did they look different?
    There was one other N. alata spotted, which was identical -- same number of pitcher in the same stages, same number of leaves, same size of leaves, same color pitchers, ect... The only difference was that this one is starting to vine and the other was in rosette. Maxima fits it pretty well, but then again, there's tons of Nepenthes that are spotted like maxima, and the peristome on this one doesn't really match up to maxima.

It's a fast grower from the looks of it. The leaves are more round than long, if that helps with ID.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Just bought two Dwarf Cavendish banana plants on eBay from Florida. Gonna grow them big in my greenhouse, then move them outside in front of the greenhouse on either side of the door.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well N. maxima has many forms and not all of them make a big flaired peristome. Those that do won't show it as a young plant either. That trait also may or may not come through in a hybrid. So there are many factors involved. I was kind of going on the leaves and some of the pitcher traits in thinking it has some N. maxima somewhere in it. The kind of short petiole, blocky shape leaves as well as the spotting and the little point in the front center of the peristome is typical for a maxima/tiveyi type hybrid. Looks like there might be a slight projection forming under the front of the lid too? Look forward to see how it changes and develops as it matures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well N. maxima has many forms and not all of them make a big flaired peristome. Those that do won't show it as a young plant either. That trait also may or may not come through in a hybrid. So there are many factors involved. I was kind of going on the leaves and some of the pitcher traits in thinking it has some N. maxima somewhere in it. The kind of short petiole, blocky shape leaves as well as the spotting and the little point in the front center of the peristome is typical for a maxima/tiveyi type hybrid. Looks like there might be a slight projection forming under the front of the lid too? Look forward to see how it changes and develops as it matures.
    Now that you mention that little point in the front center of the peristome, I want to say maxima as well. Just Google Images'd "nepenthes maxima" and I see that little point. On tiveyi, there are two. Doesn't look anything like tieveyi to me though.

That little point...

The plant...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me rephrase.. It is not N. maxima or N. tiveyi either. I was using them as an example of what MIGHT have been crossed with N. alata to produce the plant you have. I do think it is a N. alata hybrid. Odds are you will never know more than that. I just didn't want you to call it something it isn't and perhaps in the future send cuttings off to others with incorrect information also. Perhaps when it gets more mature and produce larger lower pitchers and eventually upper pitchers it might give a clearer idea of the parentage but for now I would simply call it N. alata hybrid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me rephrase.. It is not N. maxima or N. tiveyi either. I was using them as an example of what MIGHT have been crossed with N. alata to produce the plant you have. I do think it is a N. alata hybrid. Odds are you will never know more than that. I just didn't want you to call it something it isn't and perhaps in the future send cuttings off to others with incorrect information also. Perhaps when it gets more mature and produce larger lower pitchers and eventually upper pitchers it might give a clearer idea of the parentage but for now I would simply call it N. alata hybrid.
    What I meant by "wanting to say maxima as well" was that that was what it could have been crossed with. I'm pretty bad at wording stuff, lol. If the seller got it from BE they should know what it is. BE has three different alata x merriliana hybrids (but no pictures of those on BE website), maybe something like those. I think the seller orders from BE a lot, so it may be something from there. I'll ask next time I go and let you know what it is, if they know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. ventricosa x talangensis forming first upper...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pitcher lid on the N. alata spotted is abnormally large... Much larger than any of my other nep's lids. Is that characteristic of any species with the little point at the front of the peristome?