User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 720

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

  1. #17
    Whimgrinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,875
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gravel floors = weeds, weeds and more weeds. You will weed the floors endlessly for the life of the greenhouse. There are greenhouse floor solutions sold by Grower's Supply in Cali, and many others. There are special pavers for greenhouse floors that you place on top of packed gravel, those are a nice clean option.

  2. #18
    Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric View Post
    Very cool. That is similar to my greenhouse. I know what you mean about the instructions, took me forever to put it up. I look forward to seeing your progress with it!
    Yeah, but even after all that labor to get it perfect, there are small gaps in the structure where warm air can escape. I'm going to caulk those little spaces as well as all of the panels to prevent heat from escaping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Gravel floors = weeds, weeds and more weeds. You will weed the floors endlessly for the life of the greenhouse. There are greenhouse floor solutions sold by Grower's Supply in Cali, and many others. There are special pavers for greenhouse floors that you place on top of packed gravel, those are a nice clean option.
    They sell 3' x 36' rolls of cloth ground cover at OSH, so I'm going to make a trip to get a roll or two so that I can cover the entire floor with that. Then, I can put down gravel or bark or whatever else I feel like sticking down on the floor.

  3. #19
    UnstuckinTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On your passive heating question, I have two cents I can toss your way.

    Take large, plastic, clear containers (Or just a lot of two liter soda bottles, whatever) and fill em full of water but add a whole bunch of food coloring to make the water black. Darker water absorbs heat more efficiently, and is likely to get warmer as a result, and should help keep things warm at night for you
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."


    My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

  4. #20
    sarracenia lover dionae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They sell a plastic ground cover that would probably work a lil better. You can get a 6 mil thickness. The gravel would probably shred it over time though. Have you thought about covering the floor in rubber mulch? The plastic with a 3 or 4 inch layer of mulch would probably make a good floor.

  5. #21
    Whimgrinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,875
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    They sell 3' x 36' rolls of cloth ground cover at OSH, so I'm going to make a trip to get a roll or two so that I can cover the entire floor with that. Then, I can put down gravel or bark or whatever else I feel like sticking down on the floor.
    Been there, done that. Ground cloth is a reasonably good material for preventing growth from below, but the minute you get any accumulation of soil or organic matter on top, you will have weeds. Oxalis loves that environment, as does Cress. The only floor treatment that is guaranteed to stay clean and weed free is poured concrete, but I doubt you want to go that route.

  6. #22
    Brokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're putting down geotextile fabric or weed fabric, I don't see why you couldn't then add gravel on top of that.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

  7. #23
    Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnstuckinTime View Post
    On your passive heating question, I have two cents I can toss your way.

    Take large, plastic, clear containers (Or just a lot of two liter soda bottles, whatever) and fill em full of water but add a whole bunch of food coloring to make the water black. Darker water absorbs heat more efficiently, and is likely to get warmer as a result, and should help keep things warm at night for you
    True, however I was thinking about getting one or two half wine barrels from my local garden shop and filling them with water. Those would be like 50 gallons, while I would need like 100 soda bottle to equal one barrel.

    Quote Originally Posted by dionae View Post
    They sell a plastic ground cover that would probably work a lil better. You can get a 6 mil thickness. The gravel would probably shred it over time though. Have you thought about covering the floor in rubber mulch? The plastic with a 3 or 4 inch layer of mulch would probably make a good floor.
    I'll check the prices for rubber mulch 6mil plastic at OSH/Home Depot/Lowes. Hopefully rubber mulch isn't expensive. If it is, I can always go with another dark mulch to hold in heat.

    ---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Been there, done that. Ground cloth is a reasonably good material for preventing growth from below, but the minute you get any accumulation of soil or organic matter on top, you will have weeds. Oxalis loves that environment, as does Cress. The only floor treatment that is guaranteed to stay clean and weed free is poured concrete, but I doubt you want to go that route.
    I see. I don't think I would get as many weeds as I would with the lawn that makes up the flooring now. Would the weeds be manageable with mulch flooring?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    If you're putting down geotextile fabric or weed fabric, I don't see why you couldn't then add gravel on top of that.
    Yup, that's what I was thinking. Weed fabric, then gravel on top.

    ---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

    Since I got the Ventricosa x Talangensis two weeks ago, it has grown two basal shoots, both of which grew 2" stems. The front basal shoot's 2" stem just turned into a leaf. The back basal shoot's 2" stem is about to turn into a leaf. The main stem of the plant had a big leaf unfold the day after I received it. Since then, it has grown a new 8" tip, that is just now opening up, in the three weeks I've had it. I am surprised as the growth rate of neps. I thought they would be really slow growers that were difficult to care for.



    My Pasian Highlands Truncata has grown a 2" stem in the last three days. I'm not familiar with the growth pattern of these guys, but I'm assuming this will turn into another leaf and won't vine like the Ventricosa x Talangensis.



    I am currently creating a time lapse of the Ventrata, following a forming pitcher, an opening pitcher and a browning pitcher. I'll finish those in a couple of days and share the pics.

  8. #24
    Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figured out the flooring... You see, in my side yard, I have a bunch of stepping stone tile things. I'll put the weed block down, put down the tiles, then I can put the native sphagnum I have between the tile stone things.

Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •