Likes Likes:  0
Page 38 of 90 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved the ventrata out and it did well so I stuck the venty x tally out there too!

N. ventricosa x talangensis...

Family photo...

The greenhouse collection...

I have the rosettes in the terrarium still. If the venty x tally does well, I'll move them out this week!

The greenhouse usually drops to around 50F at night with 80%-90% humidity. In the morning it drops to around 70% humidity, or 60% if the heater is on. I open the door of the greenhouse all the way up in the morning so it doesn't overheat during the day. By 3:00 PM, it is usually around 30% humidity. I flood the greenhouse with hose water to cool it off and raise the humidity, as well as I turn the swamp cooler on and run it until about 7:00 PM, which the humidity is at about 90% by then. The plants don't seem to mind the low humidity during the day, sometimes it even dips into the 20% range for an hour or two and they don't wilt and continue to pitcher (so far)... Hopefully the vent x tally likes the extra light and warmth!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants are looking great... how long have you had the vent x tally for?
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ---- Albert Einstein
    Food is a important part of a balanced diet.
    My small grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by potted_plants View Post
    The plants are looking great... how long have you had the vent x tally for?
    That one I have had the longest. It was my first Nepenthes. I bought it online in early December, so I am going to enter it in next months' pitcher/plant of the month. When I received it, it had no pitchers at all.

The basals when I got it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vent x tally seemed pretty chill in the greenhouse today. 40% humidity, 80F at the worst during the day. I had the greenhouse door all the way open because it was pretty warm outside. Anywho, I decided to move the next plant out, my N. alata Spotted. I redid some of the sphagnum and found this...

How is this basal going to root? What can I do to make it root? After a while it should have enough leaves to photosynthesize for itself and it won't need to sap as much energy off the main vine. Should I build up some live sphag around it to root in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think isn't going to root... think of it like a branch on a tree. Purely above ground from the looks of it.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ---- Albert Einstein
    My small grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by potted_plants View Post
    I don't think isn't going to root... think of it like a branch on a tree. Purely above ground from the looks of it.
    It actually was below ground at one point... It had some sort of fugly moss growing over the medium, so I ripped that out. I think I remember finding this basal when I first got the plant IIRC. I replaced it with sphagnum and it was covered up until I just rearranged the sphagnum on it.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good! Yes, live spag will protect it till it puts out a few leaves then uncover it. If you get nights into the 50's in the midst of summer, you may be able to grow a N. villosa .

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    It actually was below ground at one point... It had some sort of fugly moss growing over the medium, so I ripped that out. I think I remember finding this basal when I first got the plant IIRC. I replaced it with sphagnum and it was covered up until I just rearranged the sphagnum on it.
    ah I don't know then... maybe pile some more media on it?
    My small grow list