Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 90 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I put some cheapo $10 weed block down. I staked it into the ground and stapled the edges to the wooden foundation.

Then, I started to lay down the tiles. They were $4 each and I had 35 that I had gotten from Home Depot five or six years ago. So basically, the flooring was $15 -- for the weed block and the stakes.

All done!

In the last pic, you're only seeing three rows of tiles. There are actually five rows of four tiles, and on the ends I had leftover space, so I broke two tiles in half and they fit perfectly! I'm going to check Home Depot, OSH and Lowes for mosses that I like to fill in the cracks. If I can't find any, then I'll put sand in the cracks and seed it with native sphagnum moss.

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice! Good luck. Seems like you'll have plenty of room for your truncata when it starts getting big in 8-10 years lol
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you put sand underneath the blocks? They look a little uneven - and as they settle they could become even more askew.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I forgot... According to my high/low thermometer, it gets about 45F at night and 70F during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavyJones View Post
    Looks nice! Good luck. Seems like you'll have plenty of room for your truncata when it starts getting big in 8-10 years lol
    Does it really take them that long to get big? Dang... Oh well, at least it will be a milestone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    Did you put sand underneath the blocks? They look a little uneven - and as they settle they could become even more askew.
    Nope, I didn't. I'm going to buy a few bags of sand though, and I'll put it under the tiles to make the even, as well as putting it between them to keep them from sliding around. That will give the moss a place to attach. I'll pick up a few 500cu" bags of LFS on the trip too. They have them priced at $3!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Oh, I forgot... According to my high/low thermometer, it gets about 45F at night and 70F during the day.
    45F is OK for some ultra-highlanders, but for anything else, thats going to be too cold if its a regular occurrence. You really should aim for 55F nights. Daytime highs should go higher as well, at least a couple days a week. I think you are going to find you will have to supply additional heat. Small propane heaters are excellent for the small hobby house like yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    45F is OK for some ultra-highlanders, but for anything else, thats going to be too cold if its a regular occurrence. You really should aim for 55F nights. Daytime highs should go higher as well, at least a couple days a week. I think you are going to find you will have to supply additional heat. Small propane heaters are excellent for the small hobby house like yours.
    What ultra-highlanders could comply with those temperatures? I may keep a look out for some. I'll wait until it warms up a bit I suppose. 55F nights would be spring/summer, but 50F nights will probably occur in a few weeks.

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's referring to plants such as N. hamata, N. rajah, N. macrophylla, N. villosa, etc. All of which are among the most stunning, but also very expensive, hard to find, and require very demanding conditions
    you. Especially for a newbie. Not saying you can't do it, just thay practice and experience are worth their weight in gold.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyJones View Post
    He's referring to plants such as N. hamata, N. rajah, N. macrophylla, N. villosa, etc. All of which are among the most stunning, but also very expensive, hard to find, and require very demanding conditions
    you. Especially for a newbie. Not saying you can't do it, just thay practice and experience are worth their weight in gold.
    I'll stay away from those for now then. I guess I'll grow my collection of the newbie neps.

Page 4 of 90 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast