Page 42 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    I have what sounds like a million tree frogs in my backyard. Started out with a few, now sounds like a wetlands back there in the middle of the city, deafening at times If you want this effect in your greenhouse or yard, put in a water barrel or small pond with some water plants and they will breed readily.

You need a permit to collect tadpoles? What state?
    Bahaha, it's really stupid here. I mean, nobody has a permit for collecting tadpoles, they just do it. I did some research and you technically have to have a fish and game license to collect them and the legal limit is four in your possession. Luckily, I had bought a fish and game license to go fishing, so I'm all set. I think this species of frog (hyla regilla AKA pacific chorus frog or pacific treefrog) runs all the way up to Washington and possibly parts of Canada. Their call is so loud you can hear it from miles away, as the closet body of water to my house is a good few miles away (the drainage ditch where I got these is pretty far too), and I can hear them at night. Pretty annoying.

I had for tubs of water in the greenhouse, but I found a snake under one so I don't set anything on the floor anymore lol. The tank I was going to use for a terrarium is too heavy to fill full with water for my guppies, so it may become a terrarium. It just takes up a ton of space that could be used for neps though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loud is an understatement, deafening would be a better word, haha. Tree frogs will attract garter snakes. My yard is full of those snakes now, but keeps the frog population down, LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    Loud is an understatement, deafening would be a better word, haha. Tree frogs will attract garter snakes. My yard is full of those snakes now, but keeps the frog population down, LOL.
    Gonna move the frogs out of the greenhouse as soon as they change in that case... I hate snakes.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love snakes! Give me some ;D
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    I love snakes! Give me some ;D
    I would have to guess it would be illegal to collect native snakes for sale and send them to a place where they aren't native... Plus, I refuse to catch a snake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are worried about snakes, pretend to be someone who has a unhealthy obsession with snakes (like me). That'll keep them away
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ---- Albert Einstein
    Food is a important part of a balanced diet.
    My small grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The little derpface first wouldn't grow, then it got bugs, then it got alcohol burn, and now it is turning yellow. At least the growth tip is like... Not dead?

Not to mention wavy leaves now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My N. x 'Ventrata' is not repotta.

50/50 peat perlite... But I used the EXTREMELY high grade stuff for this, did not want to skimp out on this! I used half a bail of Mosser Lee grade AAA sphagnum and a mighty good portion of MiracleGro perlite with added fertilizer.

Okay, maybe not the highest quality... But I did do my research on the fertilized sphagnum. I did a search on TF and found three or four people had used it unknowingly with no problems. Another pointed out that they just put enough on the perlite to be able to say its fertilized. It has on it 0.04-0.01-0.06 fertilizer... I personally don't think that will kill a Nepenthes... Who knows. I rinsed the sphagnum and the perlite in RO/DI, and once I potted the plant, I flushed the pot to where most of the water ran out the bottom. We'll see how it goes.

I didn't separate the basal because number one, I couldn't rip it off, and number two, eventually the whole plant is going to become three or four long vines with no leaves around the base, so I just left it.