Likes Likes:  0
Page 43 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did my first very light coffee treatment. I used my five smallest plants. I put 2/3 cup of the coffee in there and it drained out the bottom, so it's pretty much coffee-ey... Here's the plants right after the first coffee treatment... (I took the live sphagnum off while putting the coffee in just in case)

N. truncata Pasian Highlands

N. densiflora x spectabilis

N. vogelii

N. jacquelineae

N. singalana

I put two tablespoons of Columbia coffee grounds into four cups of distilled water and warmed it in a pot to the temperature of a hot bath. It stirred it around a bit. It was the color of tea. I tasted some that was left after the treatment and it tasted more like water than anything, so it was pretty weak. I'll post more pics once their pitchers on the new leaves they put out develop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the coffee is supposed to be fertilizer, i take it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarracenia_X View Post
    the coffee is supposed to be fertilizer, i take it?
    Lance has proof of it doubling or tripling the leaf size after treatements. It makes the soil more acidic too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Lance has proof of it doubling or tripling the leaf size after treatements. It makes the soil more acidic too.
    Of course, it should be noted that none of the evidence anyone provides to support the "coffee is magic!" principle is based on a control study. Unless you have at least two plants (one gets coffee, the other gets just water) of the same variety and measure their responses side-by-side, then this data isn't very meaningful. I think that in many instances, people who have worked hard to meet ALL of the needs of their plants are inclined to point to the coffee as the lone factor that precipitated the leap in growth, when in fact the truth is likely that it is multiple factors that bring about the improvements in growth. I'm not saying coffee treatments might not be a contributor, but I genuinely believe it isn't the only factor responsible for the improvements people are showing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Of course, it should be noted that none of the evidence anyone provides to support the "coffee is magic!" principle is based on a control study. Unless you have at least two plants (one gets coffee, the other gets just water) of the same variety and measure their responses side-by-side, then this data isn't very meaningful. I think that in many instances, people who have worked hard to meet ALL of the needs of their plants are inclined to point to the coffee as the lone factor that precipitated the leap in growth, when in fact the truth is likely that it is multiple factors that bring about the improvements in growth. I'm not saying coffee treatments might not be a contributor, but I genuinely believe it isn't the only factor responsible for the improvements people are showing.
    When I was just using Maxsea on my Nepenthes foliarly, I noticed that the new leaf on my N. alata spotted was twice as big as the last. That was the leaf that was opening when I moved the collection into the greenhouse. It may have been the Maxsea. Two other smaller plants had noticeably bigger leaves than the last. May have been the Maxsea, but as you said, it could have been other factors. I agree with what you're saying... But it does kinda pop out that after coffee, plants will regenerate from dead basal, they will grow like mad and the leaf size doubles or triples. Which has happened in multiple cases with different people on different plants, or so I have read. We'll see how my treatment goes. It may not have been strong enough, Lance says his mix is dark and tastes bitter. Mine was light tea colored and you could barely taste the coffee, but it stuck up the greenhouse lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was trying to move some stuff around in the greenhouse and all of my coconuts (like 5g pots) and my Amorphophallus paeoniifolius spilled all over the floor. When I was repotting them, I saw that the coconuts had germinated after about two weeks and the Amorphophallus is sprouting!

Super happy. Now I can eat some coconuts in like ten years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, you'll need a bigger greenhouse for COCONUT PALMS! do you know how TALL those things get?!?! what,is your plan to get a load of HUGE plants when there just tiny seedlings, stick them in thit li'l GH, and you just figure that by the time theyve grown so tall, there abut to crack there way up and out trough the polycarbonate, you'll have enough money to buy a GH the next size up?