Likes Likes:  0
Page 48 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    So just to be clear, no capitalization or italics? I want to write it correctly.
    for N. ventrata no although the N should be since it is the genera name which is part of the scientific name. SO that gives you N. ventrata Most people don't bother with italics every time they write the genera name as it gets to be cumbersome. If you want to be 100% accurate though..

The scientific name for species use italics on both the genera and species name. Except for a few natural hybrids that were described as species originally such as N. x trusmadiensis, note the x is not italicized as it was added later when found to be a natural hybrid. AND a handful of old victorian hybrids like N. x dyeriana

Registered cultivar uses capitals and single quotes such as N. 'Scarlet Splash'

Hope I got that all correct...

Joseph had a sticky thread somewhere on nomenclature which probably goes into more depth.

Tony

Plants which are not officially registered like N. predator are sometimes written like that, or as N. Predator, or as N. "Predator" (note I italicized the N. since it is technically correct but you often don't see it done). There are no formal rules so you most likely will see it written various ways by different people. The only rule is to NOT use the official rules described above for species, natural hybrids described as species, victorian hybrids or registered cultivars....
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Id let him stay. . . your Nep nursery regularly posts pictures on facebook of frogs poking their heads out of Nepenthes pitchers, so I don't think it's a problem.
    Yeah, he's too cute to evict. He's been in the sphagnum since I found him last night. The cultures are on top of a container of wet dead sphag and there's a puddle of water on the lid. He's just like sitting in it lol. He should like it when I water, but I have to be careful and move him when I use coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    for N. ventrata no although the N should be since it is the genera name which is part of the scientific name. SO that gives you N. ventrata Most people don't bother with italics every time they write the genera name as it gets to be cumbersome. If you want to be 100% accurate though..

The scientific name for species use italics on both the genera and species name. Except for a few natural hybrids that were described as species originally such as N. x trusmadiensis, note the x is not italicized as it was added later when found to be a natural hybrid. AND a handful of old victorian hybrids like N. x dyeriana

Registered cultivar uses capitals and single quotes such as N. 'Scarlet Splash'

Hope I got that all correct...

Joseph had a sticky thread somewhere on nomenclature which probably goes into more depth.

Tony

Plants which are not officially registered like N. predator are sometimes written like that, or as N. Predator, or as N. "Predator" (note I italicized the N. since it is technically correct but you often don't see it done). There are no formal rules so you most likely will see it written various ways by different people. The only rule is to NOT use the official rules described above for species, natural hybrids described as species, victorian hybrids or registered cultivars....
    Thanks for clearing that up! Very helpful. Let me know if I trip up, hehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i found a toad in my bog garden today n it made me think of ur lil froggy nice video! he seems quite at home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I broke the guppy rule of 1m/2f and got another male because its tail was really big and it was shiny.

I realized that my guppy tank was crap... Everything was decaying, it was just a mess... And I hadn't been able to feed through the mess, so 30 babies were eaten and the females stopped impregnating. So today I went to petco and bought some food, some water conditioner and a 10g tank. I was going to get a 5.5g, but it was $5 more than the $10 because... IDK... But anyways, I set it up with sand, hose water and water conditioner...

Right now, you can't see through it because the sand has to settle. While cleaning out their previous tank I did find one larger baby, so I added it to the new tank. I bunched the living plants together and stuck them into the sand so they could root. Should look nice. All along the back of the tank.
    The fish were a bit stressed when I put them in, but that's understandable.

I'll post pics tomorrow once its cleared up. As you can see, I actually have a filter in this one, so that should add heat on colder nights. But it never goes below 50F in the greenhouse anyways, so...

Teh first male, much smaller than the newest one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their 10g greenhouse tank, 50-60F night 60-75F day.

First pair... Mutt red male and lyre tail female...

Second pair... Blue delta tail male and lyre tail female...

That blue male again...

Current temp...

Should make some interesting crosses. The females are interchangeable, all four adults are in the same tank. The females stopped becoming pregnant a few weeks ago because they haven't been fed in a long, long time, mainly because their previous tank was so messy with decaying plants that I couldn't find the fish to feed them. Now they get flake food every day when I'm in the greenhouse and frozen bloodworms when I have extra time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. stenophylla x displaying a bigger peristome on its newest pitcher...

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I wish we knew what it was, but the good thing about extensive grew hybrids is they are very hardy and produce varying results in pitchers!

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com