Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 90 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with DaveyJones: learn to grow the easy stuff first, then consider some of the more challenging plants. There is little point in spending $300 on a wee plant of N. villosa if you can't provide the right conditions for it!

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's that native moss I'm culturing. I think it's sphagnum, but I'm not 100% sure. I pulled little chunks up from a few different patches in my yard and I put them in a saucer of soaked dirt. I soak them every few days and drain the excess water out about an hour after soaking them. They seem to be growing a bit. Three of the five saucers...

Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I agree with DaveyJones: learn to grow the easy stuff first, then consider some of the more challenging plants. There is little point in spending $300 on a wee plant of N. villosa if you can't provide the right conditions for it!
    I don't think I would spend anywhere near $300 on a nep... I think the price is for rarity, not beauty. What attracts me to neps is the coolness of a plant being able to eat an insect, when it's usually the opposite of that. Even my ventrata keeps me happy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went to Home Depot and got two 50lb bags of playground sand. I'll work on leveling the tiles and filling the cracks tomorrow. I also picked up three bags of dry LFS, which I can hopefully nurse back to life and grow my own sphag!

At $3.97 each, it was pretty much a steal. I don't think I'll use this much, but it's more bang for my buck than $15 per bag.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wash that Sphagnum really well before using it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Wash that Sphagnum really well before using it.
    It doesn't say anything about fertilizers on the back or sides of the package, but I can for sure give it a nice, long soak in RO water just to be sure. I'm going to keep a big bunch really wet for a few months until it (hopefully) comes back to life, and the other two will be used for potting the ventrata and ventricosa x talangensis in hanging baskets when the weather warms up enough for them to happily live in the greenhouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great start Pineapple!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mosser Lee moss is painfully to use if you dont wash it.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tje25 View Post
    Great start Pineapple!
    Thanks! Taking it slow and using things I already have is already starting to pay off as I can see. I saved a bunch by using those tiles instead of gravel, and I like the tiles a lot. Plus, I can grow sphagnum between the cracks in the moss!

Quote Originally Posted by LeafKirby View Post
    Mosser Lee moss is painfully to use if you dont wash it.
    I'll definitely be washing it then, and I'll let it soak for a really long time. So I take it there is fertilizers and other junk on it.

Page 5 of 90 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast