Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 55 of 90 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humidity issues are likely if its drying out too fast. Misting a few times a day can help the sphagnum stay moist. Soaks up the water quite readily. Good contact with the media will also help draw up some moisture. Push down with tweezers on a few strands to embed it a bit. As sphag grows, it should eventually be able to deal with it better, but upping the humidity is likely helpful. Admittedly I just use it as a gauge for when I need to water my plants. When it starts to dry, I water. Usually 3-5 days give or take.
    --------
    z

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if I mentioned this in here, but I ordered a Judith Finn on eBay. It was $7.50 plus $9.00 shipping. From the picture it looked like it was a lot bigger, but even though it is smaller than I expected, it is still over a foot across and maybe 8" tall. It did arrive in rough condition. The shipping box was hot, the plant was scrunched up a bit, leaves had big gashes in them, ect. Nothing that can't be fixed with TLC though... and tape.

Unlike most people, I like Judith Finn. The green pitchers will be something different for my collection. I also like the thick, flared red-purple peristome. This guy did come in with one pitcher, but it was so tiny and pathetic and it was dried up completely, so I just cut it off. It was brown, so you wouldn't be able to see what the next pitchers would look like. One of the growth tips is damaged, but it looks like it will still open, however its shooting out another tip (or so it looks like) from the damaged growth tip's base. The other two growth tips look great.

Quote Originally Posted by zlookup View Post
    Humidity issues are likely if its drying out too fast. Misting a few times a day can help the sphagnum stay moist. Soaks up the water quite readily. Good contact with the media will also help draw up some moisture. Push down with tweezers on a few strands to embed it a bit. As sphag grows, it should eventually be able to deal with it better, but upping the humidity is likely helpful. Admittedly I just use it as a gauge for when I need to water my plants. When it starts to dry, I water. Usually 3-5 days give or take.
    Its only in about five pots. After I did what I did, the pots with issues no longer had issues. I went two days without misting and they were still moist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Not sure if I mentioned this in here, but I ordered a Judith Finn on eBay. It was $7.50 plus $9.00 shipping. From the picture it looked like it was a lot bigger, but even though it is smaller than I expected, it is still over a foot across and maybe 8" tall. It did arrive in rough condition. The shipping box was hot, the plant was scrunched up a bit, leaves had big gashes in them, ect.
    Thats eBay for ya. I won't purchase live plants off eBay anymore; too great a risk of receiving someone's trash plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plant you got there. Hope it recovers. Now make it pitcher!!
    Gettin there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The motor in the swamp cooler seized up today. The sides were taken off and we played with the motor a bit to loosen it up, then it worked for about 30 seconds and jammed again. It was then unplugged and I'm going to get my money back for it since its still under the warranty. Now I have to find a new swamp cooler. The greenhouse can't be used for now, so I need to unplug everything. I moved all of the plants except for the ventrata and this new one into the original terrarium I had them in and I'm going to set up a second one so that one won't be overcrowded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whee did you get the cooler? I want one.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on who you get it from, plants on ebay can be great plants (though I, too, have suffered that fate).
    Great setup pineapple, hope I cna have a greenhouse like that one day.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All plants are spread between two terrariums.