Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 90 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And pick out all the dead leaves and grass and twigs. Haha. No fertilizers, its just got a reputation for being not the best. Next time try and find the stuff marked for orchids. You might want to break it up a bit too. It'll be fine.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive never used it, but I think I remember reading its more sticks, leaves and dirt than moss. IMO you will want to pot your plants in the expensive stuff, and use that stuff for between the cracks on the ground.

New Zealand sphagnum is my favorite.

EDIT: DavyJones is apparently a much faster typist than me!

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyJones View Post
    And pick out all the dead leaves and grass and twigs. Haha. No fertilizers, its just got a reputation for being not the best. Next time try and find the stuff marked for orchids. You might want to break it up a bit too. It'll be fine.
    The reason I got this was because it was a 432cu in. bag for like $4. Elsewhere, it's $15 for the same sized bag. When you sort out all of the sticks and "dirt", I think it's actually more bang for your buck. I haven't bought the other sphag brands, so I can't say for sure though. I'll let it soak in a bucket of RO, then mix it around and sort out large sticks and non-sphagnum particles. It will eventually sprout new growth and become living which will be 100% perfect quality!

Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    Ive never used it, but I think I remember reading its more sticks, leaves and dirt than moss. IMO you will want to pot your plants in the expensive stuff, and use that stuff for between the cracks on the ground.

New Zealand sphagnum is my favorite.

EDIT: DavyJones is apparently a much faster typist than me!
    I did dig through it a bit, however I wouldn't say it's mostly sticks, leaves and dirt. Actually, I found no leaves. Out of one handful, I found one stick and one clump of "dirt", which wasn't really dirt. While I admit, it's probably not the best sphagnum, it does it's job and retains moisture, which is what it should be used for. And hey, it's sphagnum, so it's dormant nodes will eventually sprout back to life!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put sand under the wobbly stones to make them level, then I put sand between the tiles which stopped them from moving. I like the look of it a lot, but I may have to remove some of the sand between the cracks.

I also washed one bag of the sphagnum in RO water and removed all sticks and clumps and leaves. Then, I stuck it in a small (7.5g?) glass aquarium and covered it in saran wrap to lock the warmth and moisture inside.

There are a bunch of little green, purple and yellow "growing tips"... It's difficult to describe. I suppose these are the dormant nodes that will spring bag to life. I'm actually happy because I did see a variety of colors between them. Am I correct that the following is a dormant node that will spring back to life? There are a bunch of them mixed in all over the bunch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, that moss you have growing in pots? If I'm not mistaken, that's what we call Oregon Green Moss, not Sphagnum at all. If that's really what it is, you do not want to use that with your carnivores: it is toxic as a soil additive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    By the way, that moss you have growing in pots? If I'm not mistaken, that's what we call Oregon Green Moss, not Sphagnum at all. If that's really what it is, you do not want to use that with your carnivores: it is toxic as a soil additive!
    Yup, that's it! Thanks for telling me. Never would have thought it's toxic.

I can always use it between the cracks in the tiles just as decoration. I'll use only the (currently) dry sphagnum for the neps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great all filled in. Getting more and more jealous with every update.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    Looks great all filled in. Getting more and more jealous with every update.
    Haha, thanks! Hopefully I can get that toxic Oregon Green Moss growing in between the cracks, or better yet, get non-toxic sphagnum growing over the cracks. I hope that stuff springs back to life pretty quick, though it probably won't.

Page 6 of 90 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast