Page 71 of 90 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple's Greenhouse

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VIEL SPHAG! (German joke...)

So here's the new culture I started. It's like a 25" x 15" container, roughly.

And here is the other culture that I started during the summer. I actually just had the dry sphag in the container keeping in there, then some sphag popped up, so then I added a bit scattered out and this is what I have now... (The sides were stripped of dead sphag and just today it was added back so I put live stuff on top, that's why it looks less growy)

COMPARISON 1:

Here's one of the small rectangular cultures from the very beginning of June...

Here's all four as of 20 October, 2012...

COMPARISON 2:

Here's the single large rectangular culture from the very beginning of July...

Here it is now, 20 October, with a sundew growing in it!

COMPARISON 3:

Here are the two square cultures from 7 July, 2012...

Here they are now, 20 October, 2012...

NEW CULTURES AND ALL CULTURES:

Here are the three news ones. The rectangular is from a month ago, the small round one is from last week as well as the large round one.

Here are all of the small cultures together. This picture excludes the older giant culture (which is off to the left) and the giant culture I started today which is on the other side of the greenhouse on the lower shelf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the 50% shade cloth off WITHOUT ACCLIMATING (risky risky ) today on 23 October, 2012. RIPPED IT OFF THAT PUPPY.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up north in my region, the shadecloth came off about 4 weeks ago. I did NOT have to worry about acclimation to brighter light because the shadecloth was in place only during the brightest, hottest hours of the day for all of September (approx 10:30 AM till 3 PM), so my plants had become quite accustomed to intense sunlight (well, as intense as late September days get here). You should watch carefully to monitor your plants for bleaching/burning. If you get a really hot, bright day, be prepared to pull the shadecloth temporarly during peak light hours, at least for the first ten days or so. I don't know how much sunlight you are getting at this time of the year where you are, so.....

And any more talk about ripping puppies and I will have to call the SPCA, young man!

By the way, here is a photo I took early this morning (before dawn) of one of my hanging baskets (N. jacquelineae), illustrating the phenomenon of Sphagnum pigmentation:
    [IMG]http://**************************************/2012/10/20121023-135356.jpg[/IMG]

This is the same species of Sphagnum, taken from the same colony and planted into this pot some 7 months ago. Basically it is all the same plant/clone, and yet you can see how some growing points turn red, while their neighbors remain bright green. This should give you some idea why we've been saying that manipulating Sphagnum to grow red is difficult, and may be dependent on factors we don't fully understand. (At least I don't) I see this happen all over my greenhouse, when almost all of my Sphagnum colonies are from one source, obtained fifteen months ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Up north in my region, the shadecloth came off about 4 weeks ago. I did NOT have to worry about acclimation to brighter light because the shadecloth was in place only during the brightest, hottest hours of the day for all of September (approx 10:30 AM till 3 PM), so my plants had become quite accustomed to intense sunlight (well, as intense as late September days get here). You should watch carefully to monitor your plants for bleaching/burning. If you get a really hot, bright day, be prepared to pull the shadecloth temporarly during peak light hours, at least for the first ten days or so. I don't know how much sunlight you are getting at this time of the year where you are, so.....

And any more talk about ripping puppies and I will have to call the SPCA, young man!

By the way, here is a photo I took early this morning (before dawn) of one of my hanging baskets (N. jacquelineae), illustrating the phenomenon of Sphagnum pigmentation:

This is the same species of Sphagnum, taken from the same colony and planted into this pot some 7 months ago. Basically it is all the same plant/clone, and yet you can see how some growing points turn red, while their neighbors remain bright green. This should give you some idea why we've been saying that manipulating Sphagnum to grow red is difficult, and may be dependent on factors we don't fully understand. (At least I don't) I see this happen all over my greenhouse, when almost all of my Sphagnum colonies are from one source, obtained fifteen months ago.
    Thank you for sharing! I guess if I get a fogger, a humidistat and a thermostat for christmas, I can get the greenhouse into stable, good conditions to grow sphagnum in. I am going to order some red sphagnum for Christmas just to experiment. While it may turn green, it may be an easier species to keep red in the long run, plus, I want to expand my variety of sphagnum species to culture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEW VIDEO:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEW VIDEO: SLENDY CHALLENGE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mah new hammeh x plateh... (7-8" pitcher)

Whole plant... (10-11" from tip to tip)

Oh, and I got this N. spathulata x ovata because it looked like a robcantleyii... I thought it was at first but after like 10 seconds I realized the leaves were different and I read the tag... XD

It should purple-up like its other pitcher...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking and colored pitchers