What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

A 5% difference isn't much of a problem, especially if you average the two out. I use a digital one similar to yours, and also a digital with probe made by zoomed I believe. The probe is nice because often after a while the humidity starts to affect the screens IME.

Good idea averaging the two. I have the digital in the greenhouse right now and the dial in the terrarium, so I can't do that as of this moment. Hopefully the weather will warm up soon and I came move all of the neps into the greenhouse!

I wouldn't take any sand away - if anything, you'll need to add some later as the soil settles. Just let it find its level.

Also, very nice plants. :)

I wouldn't take any sand away - if anything, you'll need to add some later as the soil settles. Just let it find its level.

Also, very nice plants. :)

The sand is getting knocked around. It's rather annoying because it hurts if I kneel down or if I'm barefoot. I'll leave it and let it settle then. It's a good insulator and heat retainer anyways, so more is better I guess! :)

Thanks! I love the plants too. Even though they're small, they should grow pretty quickly. The grower showed me the parent of the singalana and the pitchers were massive! He said it took about two years to get that one from my plant's size to that huge size. Plus, that singalana came planted in live sphagnum. It was the cheapest one I got, but I like it just as much as the other two. :)

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Progress shot from yesterday, all finished up today. Looks really nice in the greenhouse! Pics tomorrow. :)

2cd8ju0.jpg

I have a $10 digital one from Home Depot, but it's way off of what my dial ones say. My dial hydrometer says 80%, my digital one says 75%. My dial thermometer says 70F, my digital one says 65F... It just confuses me. Here's the one I have...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

949c08d7-6646-49cd-ad61-5ac8fa98dc49_300.jpg

Is there one on the cheap end of the spectrum that you could suggest? I don't want to pay like $50 for anything, but $20 for an okay one is reasonable. :blush:

If you have more than one non-digital hygrometer you can test to see if one is off... One of my thermometers for my retpile cage that I used in my miracle fruti bag was ten degrees below my digital one with a prob and the surface temp reading of my ir thermometer.. So i dont use that one anymore..

Very nice Pineapple! I especially liked the N. densiflora x spectabilis. Hope your GH is a a success.

If you have more than one non-digital hygrometer you can test to see if one is off... One of my thermometers for my retpile cage that I used in my miracle fruti bag was ten degrees below my digital one with a prob and the surface temp reading of my ir thermometer.. So i dont use that one anymore..

I'll look for some cheap ones that I can throw in the mix to get a better average. The dial one I have is a zoo med one and it seems pretty accurate. When the humidity is above 90%, water gathers on the glass. When the humidity was up at 100%, the entire glass was covered in moisture. After I learned more about neps I adjusted the humidity to around 85% of course, according to the zoo med dial hygrometer.

Very nice Pineapple! I especially liked the N. densiflora x spectabilis. Hope your GH is a a success.

Thanks! I really like the purple color from the densiflora parent and the splotching from the spectabilis parent. The grower told me is was a tissue culture from Borneo Exotics. Can't wait to see how it looks as an adult plant!

I wish I was handy like you. Digging the avatar btw..

I wish I was handy like you. Digging the avatar btw..

Thanks! I like the avatar too, haha. Definitely beats the Mario "Piranha Plant"... :jester:

Impressive!

I have a $10 digital one from Home Depot, but it's way off of what my dial ones say. My dial hydrometer says 80%, my digital one says 75%. My dial thermometer says 70F, my digital one says 65F... It just confuses me. Here's the one I have...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

949c08d7-6646-49cd-ad61-5ac8fa98dc49_300.jpg

Is there one on the cheap end of the spectrum that you could suggest? I don't want to pay like $50 for anything, but $20 for an okay one is reasonable. :blush:

I've gone through 2 or 3 of these in the past few months - they don't last very well, probably because of the high humidity. I'm also trying to find a good one that's not super expensive.

The greenhouse looks great! Looking forward to watching it progress.

Here's the shelf all done...

2z9jode.jpg

I put some of the live sphagnum that my N. Singalana 'Belirang' was potted in on top of the lump of sphagnum in hopes of jump starting it. It's the same kind of sphagnum I think, grown in northwest America. I have it in a 7.5g glass tank covered in saran wrap...

21j4pxy.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

More pictures! :-O

Teeth! :drool:

1zbqedz.jpg

Stripes! :drool:

28qjwy.jpg

Splotches! :drool:

b9d1l.jpg

Thought this shot was pretty neat. With some photoshopping skills I don't have, it could look really cool! :-O

a57py.jpg

I just fed each open pitcher on the three new guys an ant or two each. The larger pitchers got two ants, the smaller ones got on. Somehow there was already a small fly or ant in the tiniest pitcher on my N. Singalana 'Belirang'... ???

great shot!

Thanks! I'm working of photoshopping it to look awesome. :)

wow, your collection got awesome fast
what is the "stripes" nep? :drool:

wow, your collection got awesome fast
what is the "stripes" nep? :drool:

Thanks! :blush:

The "stripes" nep is N. Densiflora x Spectabilis. I assume it gets the color from Densiflora and the splotches & stripes from Spectabilis. :)

Shelf looks good Pineapple!

Just FYI only the "N" in Nepenthes is capitalized, the species name is not. So it's written N. densiflora x spectabilis. Cultivar names or locations are capitalized though.

Shelf looks good Pineapple!

Just FYI only the "N" in Nepenthes is capitalized, the species name is not. So it's written N. densiflora x spectabilis. Cultivar names or locations are capitalized though.

Thanks, I like the shelf too. Sadly, it cost a lot more than I expected. Like $60 just for that one. I'm going to build one of the left side of the greenhouse definitely, and I'll see how much space I have to move around and put stuff. If I don't have enough space, I may just leave it at two shelves, although three would be nice and it would look balanced. :)

Thanks for telling me, it's a good thing that I didn't get too used to capitalizing the species names! :jester:

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

2dig202.jpg

I made it a little darker and tried to make the color pop out more. :)

:clap::looking great,a fine job well done

^^^What corky said.

I just went to Home Depot and got two 50lb bags of playground sand. I'll work on leveling the tiles and filling the cracks tomorrow. I also picked up three bags of dry LFS, which I can hopefully nurse back to life and grow my own sphag! :banana2:

f20ns4.jpg

At $3.97 each, it was pretty much a steal. I don't think I'll use this much, but it's more bang for my buck than $15 per bag. :blush:

Just so you are aware, I have bought that brand of Sphagnum once before, and will never buy it again. That is, without a doubt, the crappiest Sphagnum you can buy. It is truly the poorest quality; you can spend an hour pulling the junk out of it and what you have left is barely recognizable as Sphagnum. I would encourage you to pay a bit more next time and get a better brand. Try a "real" garden center, perhaps?

Back