What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

Just so you are aware, I have bought that brand of Sphagnum once before, and will never buy it again. That is, without a doubt, the crappiest Sphagnum you can buy. It is truly the poorest quality; you can spend an hour pulling the junk out of it and what you have left is barely recognizable as Sphagnum. I would encourage you to pay a bit more next time and get a better brand. Try a "real" garden center, perhaps?

Haha, we've been over it Paul ;)

:clap::looking great,a fine job well done

Thanks! :D

^^^What corky said.

Thanks! :D

Just so you are aware, I have bought that brand of Sphagnum once before, and will never buy it again. That is, without a doubt, the crappiest Sphagnum you can buy. It is truly the poorest quality; you can spend an hour pulling the junk out of it and what you have left is barely recognizable as Sphagnum. I would encourage you to pay a bit more next time and get a better brand. Try a "real" garden center, perhaps?

I mean, yes, there is a noticeable difference and it isn't grade AAA in fluffiness. The point of sphagnum is to retain moisture, correct? It probably won't retain 100% of the moisture that New Zealand sphagnum would, but it's definitely has more water retention than other things. The only issue I see is that it may decompose quicker. I think it will come back to life pretty much as fast as higher grade sphagnum will, which is my goal. From there, I will have higher grade sphagnum than the New Zealand stuff, because it will be home grown! :-D

Haha, we've been over it Paul ;)

Are you guys suggesting that I shouldn't use it? Will it be detrimental to the neps? It was like $3 for one bag, so it's not a total loss. I know higher grade spagnum would be ideal, but won't this stuff work too? ???

My apologies for the redundancy. :blush:

It's chill, always good to further discuss issues. It helps me to learn more about keeping these plants. :)

once i tried using a bag of that same exact brand to try and grow live sphagnum moss in a 20g long tank. it smelled kind of weird when i put it in the tank, and ended up smelling even weirder when the mold started sprouting...

I personally prefer Chilean sphagnum. It tends to have some vegetable matter in it, but it is of a very fine quality and a bit less coarse then the NZ stuff which I find is too big and hard to break up by hand.

once i tried using a bag of that same exact brand to try and grow live sphagnum moss in a 20g long tank. it smelled kind of weird when i put it in the tank, and ended up smelling even weirder when the mold started sprouting...

So I'll let some of the moisture from the tank I have the sphagnum in evaporate!... :-D

I personally prefer Chilean sphagnum. It tends to have some vegetable matter in it, but it is of a very fine quality and a bit less coarse then the NZ stuff which I find is too big and hard to break up by hand.

Yeah, well the place I got the new neps at sells buckets of live sphagnum in the spring, so I'll just buy some then lol... :blush:

If you get it live and dry it yourself it will be the nicest quality dried sphagnum you can get!

If you get it live and dry it yourself it will be the nicest quality dried sphagnum you can get!

True, but I like the look of live sphagnum better. That's what I was planning to do with the Mosser Lee sphagnum -- bring it back to life! :banana2:

in my failed moss tank, i tried using a pc fan with the plug "snik"ed off with wire cutters. i wanted to use a humidistat, but i didnt have one, so i just soldered the pc fan to the wires on a AC to DC power adapter. it had a switch adjustable from 3 volts to 12 volts. i attached it to the mesh top right on top of a hole in the cellophane that i put on top of the cover, the "air intake" then i cut a same sized hole in the opposite corner, the "air output". i wold turn on the fan when the tank was too humid. i was afraid that if i left the fan on too long, or permanantly (even on the lowest setting) thas the moss wouldnt have enough humidity to sprout. when i first saw the damp off, i permanently kept the fan on the lowest setting, and tried to eradicate it with a homemade "fungicide" of very diluted hydrogen peroxide . but by then my tank was overrun. it was too late. my cape sundew was lucky to make it out alive...

in my failed moss tank, i tried using a pc fan with the plug "snik"ed off with wire cutters. i wanted to use a humidistat, but i didnt have one, so i just soldered the pc fan to the wires on a AC to DC power adapter. it had a switch adjustable from 3 volts to 12 volts. i attached it to the mesh top right on top of a hole in the cellophane that i put on top of the cover, the "air intake" then i cut a same sized hole in the opposite corner, the "air output". i wold turn on the fan when the tank was too humid. i was afraid that if i left the fan on too long, or permanantly (even on the lowest setting) thas the moss wouldnt have enough humidity to sprout. when i first saw the damp off, i permanently kept the fan on the lowest setting, and tried to eradicate it with a homemade "fungicide" of very diluted hydrogen peroxide . but by then my tank was overrun. it was too late. my cape sundew was lucky to make it out alive...

Ah, so I shouldn't keep the saran wrap on top of the tank? The humidity in the greenhouse is like 60% and I'll keep the moss damp. That will give it some good air flow I suppose. :)

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

I did a little bit of photoshopping... :blush:

mlm5ts.jpg

15g8imv.jpg

1z6bo10.jpg

2le6ova.jpg

166ys5e.jpg

11w3fyw.jpg

vsfbwh.jpg

The leaf on my Pasian Highlands N. truncata fully unfolded and a pitcher appears to be forming. I believe I'm seeing the start of the tongue right now. I'm surprised that the neps settled in so quickly. Hopefully they won't be too shocked when I move them to the greenhouse. ???

I found a place on the door where air can get through. It was 1" wide gap running all the way up the 6' door. I used some weather tape and made a little barrier, so now no air gets through. I did the same on the other side of the door and it's completely sealed off now! :banana2:

...But it looks like crap and the tackiness bothers me... :jester:

If it doesn't have tape on it it's not finished.

All done with the shelves!!! :banana2:

20sg3z6.jpg

Each shelf is 3'6" tall with two racks, one on the top and one in the middle. There is space under each one to put anything I want to -- more plants, thermal objects, sphagnum, supplies, etc. They looked pretty tacky at first, but now that they're all in there, it looks really nice! I'm going to clamp the wire rack part down to the wood later today. I'm also going to look at cheap barrels/containers of water that I could put under the shelves to hold water so that the humidity stays at a high level. They will also act as thermal objects... I think I might put some plants in them and throw some herbivorous fish in there. :blush:

r215so.jpg

Pasian Highlands N. truncata's new pitcher! :boogie:

23h3hae.jpg

N. ventricosa x talangensis's two basal shoots are growing like weeds! :boogie:

21lkc9i.jpg

Can anyone tell if this is just algae or if this is new growth? I added a tiny bit of green sphagnum from my N. singalana pot to a few strands of sphagnum from my N. ventricosa x talangensis pot about two weeks ago. The N. singalana pot had evenly-green sphagnum when I got it. It feels slimy, but crisp, unlike my other sphagnum. Is it just algae? Will it even sprout? It's holding A LOT of water, more so than the sphagnum from my N. ventricosa x talangensis pot, which has the same sphagnum I believe.

693olf.jpg

My N. singalana's new pitcher is growing quickly and is starting to color up. Can't wait until I get to feed it! :-O

2z70t28.jpg

If it doesn't have tape on it it's not finished.

You can say that again! Haha. :-))

Where do you live that it still looks like that outside? I miss the grass and trees with leaves.. :down:

Where do you live that it still looks like that outside? I miss the grass and trees with leaves.. :down:

Haha, not exactly. Most of the trees are leafless and I water my lawn. :p

jealous! Awesome looking greenhouse!!

If you want some live Sphagnum to get a decent colony started, I will send you some. It's easy to grow a significant colony in a short time if you start with live stuff:)

Looking spectacular! :)

you really have thrown yourself into it,respect and good luck

Back