What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

Nice pitcher and have fun with that sugarcane! :)

Thought this was interesting... The first N. ventricosa x talangensis upper pitcher drooling like crazy!

Actually, they are not "uppers" until the plant has gone into the vining stage, which won't likely happen for at least a year. (assuming we are talking about your ventXtalangensis seed grown youngin) you will know when it has moved on to the true vining/uppers stage when the internodes increase dramatically, and the pitcher morphology shifts into something very different looking. Until then, these are still of lower pitcher morphology.

Actually, they are not "uppers" until the plant has gone into the vining stage, which won't likely happen for at least a year. (assuming we are talking about your ventXtalangensis seed grown youngin) you will know when it has moved on to the true vining/uppers stage when the internodes increase dramatically, and the pitcher morphology shifts into something very different looking. Until then, these are still of lower pitcher morphology.

I thought mine was in a vine and those are the uppers, but perhaps not. There are no curls in the tendrils. They do take a lot longer to start forming though, and they do look a heck of a lot different than the ones produced by the basals! The plant is about 14" tall, the nodes started spacing out about 2" or so opposed to the 1/2" or less spacing when still a rosette. Some of the leaves immediately after the rosette stage are spaced maybe 3" or more, but they started clumping together again the last few leaves. I'll try to get a picture of the entire plant. If these aren't uppers and I'm pleased with these, I wonder what the true uppers will be like! :drool:

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Nice pitcher and have fun with that sugarcane! :)

Thanks! I found out I planted it incorrectly actually. Supposed to plant it laying down in the dirt. So I fixed that. I found some fuzzy roots growing on the shoots on one of them. So hopefully they'll root soon. People say they grow like crazy, I want them to. Hopefully they grow a huge crop all the way around the greenhouse! But that will look pretty suspicious...

Great looking set up. I too love the combo of exotic edibles and exotic carnivores. Seems like a natural fit. Do make sure not to actually "eat" the sugarcane...it's loaded with fiber if you catch my drift! My first sugarcane ended similar to this thing: :spazz:

But that will look pretty suspicious...

My local police helicopter always flys over and usually HAPPENS to circle my house once or twice every couple of days...my metalic shade cloth on top and shrubs on the inside probably dont help my file!

I thought mine was in a vine and those are the uppers, but perhaps not. There are no curls in the tendrils. They do take a lot longer to start forming though, and they do look a heck of a lot different than the ones produced by the basals! The plant is about 14" tall, the nodes started spacing out about 2" or so opposed to the 1/2" or less spacing when still a rosette. Some of the leaves immediately after the rosette stage are spaced maybe 3" or more, but they started clumping together again the last few leaves. I'll try to get a picture of the entire plant. If these aren't uppers and I'm pleased with these, I wonder what the true uppers will be like!

Ahh, perhaps yours HAS started its vining stage. I was under the impression your plant was a much younger seedling. In general, uppers become a lot more bland than lowers, N. lowii hybrids and the sort excluded. Time will tell!

My local police helicopter always flys over and usually HAPPENS to circle my house once or twice every couple of days...my metalic shade cloth on top and shrubs on the inside probably dont help my file!

:-))

Just applied the shade cloth, and boy, is it shady! Hopefully that helps with the temperature, both cooling during the day and heater during the night. I'm in the process of testing both. Currently, I have the swamp cooler running. It did maybe lower the temperature by 5 degrees, but the humidity shot up. When I walked in, I got really light headed. I'm going to go get some ice to test it out with that now. As far as the heater goes, it only kicks on for a short amount of time, but while its on the temperature is raised a lot.

Great looking set up. I too love the combo of exotic edibles and exotic carnivores. Seems like a natural fit. Do make sure not to actually "eat" the sugarcane...it's loaded with fiber if you catch my drift! My first sugarcane ended similar to this thing: :spazz:

Thanks! I really wasn't planning to do edibles, but I got pushed into it lol. Today I bought a pineapple tomato and a gold medal tomato...

images

images

Ahh, perhaps yours HAS started its vining stage. I was under the impression your plant was a much younger seedling. In general, uppers become a lot more bland than lowers, N. lowii hybrids and the sort excluded. Time will tell!

The upper, if it is in fact an upper, on this plant looks a lot better than the lower in my opinion. The shape is nicer and so is the peristome. The peristome is so dark red it almost looks black near the top where the lid is. I'll get another picture of it all colored up.

Here's a pic of it with the shade cloth on... I left the door open about 6" today which usually cools it off a few degrees from what it usually gets (100F at some points on a warm day, today was a warm day) and I checked it during the part of the day it gets the most sun. It was only a few degrees warmer than the outside air, so the shade cloth is really helping!

23lm8o3.jpg

And some veggietables and some flowers germinated! I forget which are which and since I'm not very familiar with most vegetables or flowers, I guess I'll have to wait until they bloom to find out what is what. I do know that both on the far right of each row are eggplants... And the first to the farthest one on the left on the top row is some sort of flower. :blush:

w1b2x4.jpg

My nep seeds haven't germinated after two months. I think they're duds.

Looks great Pineapple. Dont give up on the nep seed. I had some just start to germinate after a couple of months on the media:).

My nep seeds haven't germinated after two months. I think they're duds.

In a pot of N. tentacultata seed, I see I have a few late starters germinating this week. The seeds were sown October 21, 2011.

Argghhh great thread! Although it makes me a bit sad, wish I had this kind of space and equipment! Thanks for sharing, it looks great.

I've also sown tomatoes, gourd, thyme and a couple of different stuff this year. Some like the tomatoes have grown huge, can't wait to collect some fruits. Good luck with yours!

Looks great Pineapple. Dont give up on the nep seed. I had some just start to germinate after a couple of months on the media:).

Meh... I'm still afraid the sphagnum they're on is going to catch on fire with that light lol. I don't think I'll keep it up much longer than the beginning of summer, or I may just move it to the greenhouse and if they grow, they grow!

In a pot of N. tentacultata seed, I see I have a few late starters germinating this week. The seeds were sown October 21, 2011.

Wow! I'll give mine a bit more time then. May move them out to the greenhouse once the heater and cooler are set.

Argghhh great thread! Although it makes me a bit sad, wish I had this kind of space and equipment! Thanks for sharing, it looks great.

I've also sown tomatoes, gourd, thyme and a couple of different stuff this year. Some like the tomatoes have grown huge, can't wait to collect some fruits. Good luck with yours!

Haha, thanks! I just bought ten strawberry bulbs and some more eggplant seeds. Hopefully those will do well too. Hopefully my passiflora will flower soon, but it looks like crap just like the coffee... :censor:

I found a HUGE snake coiled up under one of those containers of water on the floor, so I took all of them out. I chopped it up with a rake and threw it in my neighbor's driveway. Pretty intense experience. Not going to put anything else on the floor of the greenhouse every again. :headwall:

dude you're gonna start a riot among the herps here

Poor snake :(

Why do that? And then throw it on your neighbours driveway... wtf :crazy:

Well it would have crawled right back into the greenhouse and like bit me... I don't like snakes, they scare me. I couldn't really catch it to relocate it...

So the logical thing is to cut it into pieces and throw it on your neighbours driveway.....

I SOOOO want a greenhouse! Things look great :)

I SOOOO want a greenhouse! Things look great :)

Yeah, they're great! If you get one though, make sure you get a big one. Despite being harder to heat, the temperature won't wildly swing during the day and it won't lose heat as fast at night.

Back