What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

Just got back from the nep store. I picked out an unidentified hybrid, but I feel bad because it's the most expensive plant I've ever purchased, even with getting the price marked down 20%... I think I'm going to stick with plants under $30 from now on. Nevertheless, I'm very happy with it. It's a 24" (or more) vine with two upper pitchers on it so far...

Fully colored upper...
fbylgn.jpg

Whole vine...
34q9p5h.jpg

I'm thinking it may have N. spectabilis or N. copelandii in it, it kinda reminds me of those two. I also purchased a tub of live green sphagnum. I asked the owner if he had any red sphagnum and he wasn't growing that officially, but he did have a bit mixed in with the green sphagnum, so he gave me enough to get me started, which I put around my new N. x Unidentified.

14y95e0.jpg

Also, I asked him what the N. alata spotted was a cross of and he said it was a pure species. He received it over 30 years ago as one of his first Nepenthes and since it's so rare, you can't find other N. alata spotteds to cross it with, so he just makes cuttings and this is one of them. So it's a pure species.

New and old pitcher...
34srsrs.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Forgot to mention, the N. x Unidentified is in the greenhouse permanently! Night temperatures are going to be in the 50s for the next month with occasional dips down to 48F, but no lower. So since it was already greenhouse hardened, I figured I'd test it out. I sprayed down the floor of the greenhouse and the humidity rose pretty high. Do you think it will be okay if the humidity dips down to around 45% for a few hours? I'm going to leave the greenhouse door open so it only gets into the 70s or 80s inside and it won't cook my new expensive Nepenthes.

That unidentified nepenthes looks like it has glandulifera it me. Either way its a nice plant!

That unidentified nepenthes looks like it has glandulifera it me. Either way its a nice plant!

Just googled glandulifera... The lid and peristome are exact, but the pitcher shape is what makes me think it may not be.

Thanks! I like the plant too. :-D

Also, I asked him what the N. alata spotted was a cross of and he said it was a pure species. He received it over 30 years ago as one of his first Nepenthes and since it's so rare, you can't find other N. alata spotteds to cross it with, so he just makes cuttings and this is one of them. So it's a pure species.

Are you talking about the plant on Page 19??

How long he has had it or how it is propagated doesn't make it a pure species or not.

Are you talking about the plant on Page 19??

How long he has had it or how it is propagated doesn't make it a pure species or not.

Yup, the plant on page 19. He said N. alata was a pretty widespread species and the spotted kind is a version of it. I just Google Image'd it and found a few others that are similar, some the same color, some different colors. I think the little spike in the middle may be a lower pitcher thing, because I found a picture of the mother plant and the pitchers (mostly uppers) have no little spikes in the middle. I guess there's really no way to prove it is or isn't a pure species, so I dunno. Just have to take what is told to me by the person who I got it from and to whomever I sell cuttings to later on can be informed that there is a chance it may not be a pure species. ???

Left is the newest pitcher, right is the oldest one...
25zhvdl.jpg

As you can see, the newer one (I've determined these are intermediates) is a bit longer and slimmer. Less tubby. Plus, the opening in the pitcher is more ovular than the last pitcher, which was more round at the opening. The peristome is a bit thicker on this new one too. It's resembling talangensis, which I like much more than ventricosa, so I'm happy. Can't wait for true uppers! :boogie:

So the heater actually works really well. It's like 55F outside and it's keeping it at 60F, when it dips into the 40s at night it should keep it between 50F and 55F! Super pleased with it, however it lowers the humidity about 10% every hour... How can I maintain humidity while still keeping it warm? Do I need a fogger? I guess that requires a humidistat... ???

Yeah, my minimum size for a greenhouse, when I get one, is 10' by 12'. I might be getting one this summer.

I just want to reiterate, I seriously doubt there is any glandulifera in that new hybrid of yours. It's a great looking plant, but I'm leaning towards stenophylla as a parent, if anything. Glandulifera and its hybrids have a ton of ubiquitous glands all over the surface.

Nice plants though, keep up the good growing!

Yeah, my minimum size for a greenhouse, when I get one, is 10' by 12'. I might be getting one this summer.

The shade cloth has solved my overheating issues, but it still heats up quite a bit. I might be building another greenhouse from wood and polyfilm this summer, but it's unlikely.

I just want to reiterate, I seriously doubt there is any glandulifera in that new hybrid of yours. It's a great looking plant, but I'm leaning towards stenophylla as a parent, if anything. Glandulifera and its hybrids have a ton of ubiquitous glands all over the surface.

Nice plants though, keep up the good growing!

When I looked at gland it kinda looked similar, but steno almost exactly matches this plant, however it is likely a hybrid. At least I know it's partly steno though, I can now label it, "N. x stenophylla"! :-D

N. spathulata x (spathulata x boschiana)...
2iua79.jpg

N. x 'Momoka' insignis x merilliana...
sbjwyf.jpg

Together...
352npcp.jpg

Looking good :bigthumpup:

Moved the ventrata out and it did well so I stuck the venty x tally out there too!

N. ventricosa x talangensis...
rhr22d.jpg

Family photo...
1e6ixi.jpg

The greenhouse collection...
213125w.jpg

I have the rosettes in the terrarium still. If the venty x tally does well, I'll move them out this week! :boogie:

The greenhouse usually drops to around 50F at night with 80%-90% humidity. In the morning it drops to around 70% humidity, or 60% if the heater is on. I open the door of the greenhouse all the way up in the morning so it doesn't overheat during the day. By 3:00 PM, it is usually around 30% humidity. I flood the greenhouse with hose water to cool it off and raise the humidity, as well as I turn the swamp cooler on and run it until about 7:00 PM, which the humidity is at about 90% by then. The plants don't seem to mind the low humidity during the day, sometimes it even dips into the 20% range for an hour or two and they don't wilt and continue to pitcher (so far)... Hopefully the vent x tally likes the extra light and warmth!

The plants are looking great... how long have you had the vent x tally for?

The plants are looking great... how long have you had the vent x tally for?

That one I have had the longest. It was my first Nepenthes. I bought it online in early December, so I am going to enter it in next months' pitcher/plant of the month. When I received it, it had no pitchers at all.

The basals when I got it...
p9my8.jpg

The vent x tally seemed pretty chill in the greenhouse today. 40% humidity, 80F at the worst during the day. I had the greenhouse door all the way open because it was pretty warm outside. Anywho, I decided to move the next plant out, my N. alata Spotted. I redid some of the sphagnum and found this...

357ni3s.jpg

How is this basal going to root? What can I do to make it root? After a while it should have enough leaves to photosynthesize for itself and it won't need to sap as much energy off the main vine. Should I build up some live sphag around it to root in? ???

Back