What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
Nepenthesis's Greenhouse

Nepenthesis's Greenhouse

w0rhog.jpg

Features

- 6' x 8' "One Stop Gardens" Greenhouse
- Two Cooling Vents
- Sliding Door
- Wooden Foundation Concreted into Yard

Demensions

- Overall Demensions 98-1/2" L x 75-7/8" W x 77" H
- Vent Demensions 23" L x 20" W
- Door Demensions 64" H x 24" W

Current Nepenthes

- N. Truncata - Pasian Highlands
- N. Ventrata
- N. Ventricosa x Talangensis

Ventrata
zock8g.jpg

Ventricosa x Talangensis
10cum1j.jpg

Truncata - Pasian Highlands
2lkwdbc.jpg

I'm going to put down gravel as a flooring and line the sides of the greenhouse with tables to put neps and other plants on. I might be adding a few barrels of water as thermal objects. The greenhouse gets hit by about 2-1/2 hours of direct sunlight on a winter day, so it may be double that in the summer. I'll purchase some shade cloth to ensure the neps won't get burnt in the summer.

I'm going to move the neps into the greenhouse once I get a feel for what the temperature will be like day and night. They'll probably be moved in within a month or two when the winter weather lifts. I'll be purchasing more neps as I go along, obviously!

Comments, questions and criticisms are always welcomed! :blush:

Last edited:
*whimper* So jealous.. Looks great.

Beautiful greenhouse. Congratulations!

*whimper* So jealous.. Looks great.

Beautiful greenhouse. Congratulations!

Haha, thanks guys! It took so much work to put up! The instructions were poorly written, so it took MUCH longer than the expected two hours. The panels were probably the worst part though. It took me about an hour of messing with the panel clips to get the idea to look it up on YouTube, and when I did, I figured it out immediately. The panels probably took two hours to get in working with two people. The clips are thick metal wires that take like 100 pounds of force to put in properly. They were cutting into my fingers and they still hurt a day later! I'm glad it's all finally done though. :boogie:

Very nice! Quite jealous here too!

Just a question though, is the door really only 5'4" high? That would be a major PITA to move plants, tables etc. in and out unless you were shorter than that. Id be ducking 8"+ just to get in haha

Very nice! Quite jealous here too!

Just a question though, is the door really only 5'4" high? That would be a major PITA to move plants, tables etc. in and out unless you were shorter than that. Id be ducking 8"+ just to get in haha

Thanks!! :)

It's sitting on the 4" tall foundation, so that moves it up to 5'8" high. I do have to duck a little, but it's not at the point where it's annoying. :)

Hey! That looks amazing! I can't wait to see the picture of you slowly filling it with plants!

Are you allowed to tell us how much it was, roughly?

Hey! That looks amazing! I can't wait to see the picture of you slowly filling it with plants!

Are you allowed to tell us how much it was, roughly?

I can't wait either! I didn't finished one of the vents until this morning, so the greenhouse was around 35F inside during the night. When I finished the vent this morning and placed it on, within an hour, the greenhouse was already at 75F! If it stays warm during the night, I can go ahead and stick the plants in there really soon! :boogie:

Yup. I got it from Harbor Freight for $299.99. It's usually $399.99, but it's been on sale for a while. Small Greenhouse Kit - 6Ft. x 8Ft. Greenhouse

They also have a larger model, which is 10' W x 12' L x 10' H, but it's double the cost. However, they do have a 20% coupon online I believe, so you can get the large model for just over $500!

They don't hold heat in the winter. So people in areas like mine (zone 5) can still only use them during the warm seasons.

They don't hold heat in the winter. So people in areas like mine (zone 5) can still only use them during the warm seasons.

I'm in zone 9-10. It only gets down to the mid twenties once, if at all, during the winter, but usually stays around 35F during the coldest part of the night. It never snows, but sometimes it frosts. I think it will hold a bit of heat, but I've never owned a greenhouse before, so I don't know for sure. I'll have to experiment and see.

I'm going to be experimenting with natural ways of heating, such as placing thermal objects or using hot water to achieve warmth. I'll be experimenting before I add the plants though. :)

Seems like perfect placement! I bet your plants are going to be very colourful. Looking forward to more pics when it's filled with plants.

I'm going to start digging up the grass/weeds inside the greenhouse today so that I can have a nice clean floor. I'm going to put down that black weed cover fabric to prevent any plants from growing out of the soil. Not sure what I'm going to do for ground cover inside the greenhouse, but I'm thinking of either putting a wood floor in or putting gravel down. Suggestions?

Seems like perfect placement! I bet your plants are going to be very colourful. Looking forward to more pics when it's filled with plants.

Thanks. Hopefully my plants will like the greenhouse! I have hanging baskets for the Ventrata and the Ventricosa x Talangensis, but I need to find a way to hang the baskets first. :blush:

Thanks!! :)

It's sitting on the 4" tall foundation, so that moves it up to 5'8" high. I do have to duck a little, but it's not at the point where it's annoying. :)

That's not too bad then! You will only hit your head once! Also for that price that's a steal IMO. I personally would probably put down a good layer of 3/4 crush and pack it down, but never done a greenhouse before.

nice! i have always wanted a simple greenhouse.. so it will be interesting to see how it preforms for you (though you are in a warmer zone).

That's not too bad then! You will only hit your head once! Also for that price that's a steal IMO. I personally would probably put down a good layer of 3/4 crush and pack it down, but never done a greenhouse before.

Yup, it was a great deal. Maybe for flooring, I could use native sphagnum. :-D

nice! i have always wanted a simple greenhouse.. so it will be interesting to see how it preforms for you (though you are in a warmer zone).

I'll keep this topic updated as much as possible. I think the plants will do better in the greenhouse where they can get more sun, and they're already doing amazingly. :)

Very cool. That is similar to my greenhouse. I know what you mean about the instructions, took me forever to put it up. I look forward to seeing your progress with it!

Gravel floors = weeds, weeds and more weeds. You will weed the floors endlessly for the life of the greenhouse. There are greenhouse floor solutions sold by Grower's Supply in Cali, and many others. There are special pavers for greenhouse floors that you place on top of packed gravel, those are a nice clean option.

Very cool. That is similar to my greenhouse. I know what you mean about the instructions, took me forever to put it up. I look forward to seeing your progress with it!

Yeah, but even after all that labor to get it perfect, there are small gaps in the structure where warm air can escape. I'm going to caulk those little spaces as well as all of the panels to prevent heat from escaping. :)

Gravel floors = weeds, weeds and more weeds. You will weed the floors endlessly for the life of the greenhouse. There are greenhouse floor solutions sold by Grower's Supply in Cali, and many others. There are special pavers for greenhouse floors that you place on top of packed gravel, those are a nice clean option.

They sell 3' x 36' rolls of cloth ground cover at OSH, so I'm going to make a trip to get a roll or two so that I can cover the entire floor with that. Then, I can put down gravel or bark or whatever else I feel like sticking down on the floor.

On your passive heating question, I have two cents I can toss your way.

Take large, plastic, clear containers (Or just a lot of two liter soda bottles, whatever) and fill em full of water but add a whole bunch of food coloring to make the water black. Darker water absorbs heat more efficiently, and is likely to get warmer as a result, and should help keep things warm at night for you :)

They sell a plastic ground cover that would probably work a lil better. You can get a 6 mil thickness. The gravel would probably shred it over time though. Have you thought about covering the floor in rubber mulch? The plastic with a 3 or 4 inch layer of mulch would probably make a good floor.

Back