Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice picking plants for a new terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunblaster t5 HO bulbs. I think they come in a 12" size. They are very compact and powerful.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I don't know of 16" fixtures being any easy to find. A 12" is your best best unless you are fine with a little of the fixture hanging over a bit. Not all CPs do best right underneath fixtures and might be able to do well in sections of the terrarium with indirect light. Just something to consider.

But I agree on going with a T5 fixture as those are the best bang for your buck nowadays. What species have you narrowed in on? That would help with your lighting choice.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thoughts. I tried searching for "Sunblaster fixtures", "t5 12" fixture", "t5 fixture", and a few others, but could not come up with much in Google. Could you possibly tell me where I might find these?

I will go with a 12" hood if I need to, but aesthetics is important and that's just not going to appear properly 'fitted' with 2" of space on each side. I assume no one makes a runner strip with the right color temperature or lumens? Does anyone know where I can find just the ballast; then I could build the lighting into the terrarium?

What species have you narrowed in on? That would help with your lighting choice.
    I'm not sure I've narrowed much down or decided on much, but I like these options:

Sarr - Scarlette Bell
    Sarr - Undecided
    D Capensis
    D Intermedia
    VFT
    D Scorpioides

I would be planting these in 4" pots and burying the pots in the medium. They could then be removed whole for dormancy as needed. Though I have a feeling the Sarrs will require a larger pot as they grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, the Find a Store link does not appear to function right now. Do you happen to have a direct link to a retailer?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would check your local grow shop (if you have one). I bought my T5 lights and fixture from a shop that was primarily selling (what appeared to be) Marijuana cultivation equipment. The Carnivores seem to enjoy it thoroughly though.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The capensis will be fine growing all year round and the intermedia may or may not require dormancy depending on the collection location.

And I'll echo what Dex says. You can find relatively cheap fixtures at a local "hydroponics" shop and there are also a lot of online vendors.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another up & coming lighting option is LED's , I was at a saltwater aquarium shop using it to grow corals (which needs tons of direct light) I am no expert at all, in fact I'm still learning, but I was looking at these bulbs in 5,000 - 6,500 K range for under $30.
    http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...&productId=526

They give off very little heat, the bulb is small under 4 inche dia x 4 inch long. And if you really want to give yourself a headache they make them in red & blue colors for optimal growth. Google LED grow light and give yourself a headache Lol, just a suggestion.

Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast