User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your planted terrariums!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do use great stuff and coco but the coco wears off after a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff & coco or peat doesn't stay wet very long, I did a tank with tank or two with that and pulled it out after I saw how it performed. I was very unhappy with it, it's expensive to do and didn't do what I wanted. If I had a misting machine to run every hour or two to keep it moist it would be fine alas I don't have $200 or so for Mistking. If you have a spray bar pouring water down it that would probaly be different as well but I didn't want that either.

The mud background stays moist by wicking a small amount of water up into itself and things like Geosesarma jungle crabs can dig burrow networks through it without collapsing the whole background and they can eat it without it affecting their health (70% of their diet is substrate).

I think it was Reaper (now Kyle) who made a mud background with a running water feature, IIRC he has the water running down a piece of wood and not the mud itself, it would erode from a constant wash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But can you add a waterfall to a mud background? I wanna put in a waterfall and the mud sound like a more natural look. Will it hold up for the long run?

I'm also currently in the process of tearing apart on old vivarium I made due to the fact that all the peat has washed off the great stuff and now my background is yellow.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you could do is make a waterfall from some rocks or foam rocks covered in floor patch (cement type stuff) siliconed into a waterfall shape and have the water running over that using the mud around the sides and inbetween the rocks to provide planting areas. You wouldn't want water running over the mud background CONTINUOUSLY (a daily spraying or two is fine) like any soft soil it would erode with a constant wash over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay well there enlies the problem then cause my drain layer will be completly submerged. Thus creating the pond... if I just kept the layer of mud in the substrate layer that would be fine. Idk I know this take is going to def take me a couple months that's for sure. Maybe some experimenting is in order.

If you allow the mud to harden will it stay hard? I know once clay hardens tit takes a lot to get it to soak again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay well there enlies the problem then cause my drain layer will be completly submerged. Thus creating the pond...
    Yup that's how my crab tanks are with their "ponds". The drainage layer is 2" deep of Hydroton clay balls (under the "soil" portion) then a layer of nylon window screen mesh then my planting subtrate. The "shoreline" is made up of various sized rocks and the pond area has pea gravel for underwater you don't see the hydroton drainage layer except from the sides and back.

You can allow it to dry but it will shrink (pull away from the walls) and crack when dried out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    how are you growing amp with helis
    It seems content as an intermediate although it grows rather slow lol.

The backing on my tank is just LFS moss crammed in the back and then I mounted cork bark to the eggcrate then shoved plants and more LFS moss in between the cork bark and everything just kind of grows out. I also put live peat moss and java moss on the drip wall so the moss just grows down the cork bark.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Swords the tanks are amazing. Where do you find all the time?

Everyone else your tanks are awesome too I like your tank mluk.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast