Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bog update ~DUW~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
    I have to give GrowingOld credit. he's the one that talked me into it. it helps keep the soil from going anoxic (there's a better word for it, but I forgot).
    anaerobic?

what do the earthoworms do that makes them such a bother?

Your bog looks wonderful. thanks for sharign the pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anaerobic is another, but there's another word.

Earthworms are good for the garden. They churn the soil, aerate it, and enrich it with their droppings. This is good for Mom's petunias, but not for CPs. (Experts, I am simplifying terribly, and I hope I get it all right from memory) Animal (and other) waste is made up of ammonia (though some skip this step, and go straight to step 3) which is broken down to nitrites, and then further to nitrates. This is just the stuff that's missing from the soil in most CP habitats, and is almost the same as adding fertilizer. The wastes also seem to sour the soil. With enough worms, it starts to really stink. The other problem with worms is about where the droppings go. They eat the peat, leave the sand, and poop out the reprocessed peat on top of the soil, usually around or on top of those tiny little plants you just coaxed into being. I've had seedlings buried, and small plants rotted out, as well as whole pots of soil ruined and plants killed or maimed.

One or two worms is fine, really, but more, and they will make more, can be harmful. I just throw them in the garden when I catch them.
    Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; 05-23-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    makes sense, but why would earthworms want to be in a bog setting when in nature they never would? you'd think it'd be too wet for em and they'd want out.

I havent been worried bout worms getting in mine but the edges of my bog are pretty much flush with the ground around it. Maybe I should be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bog looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesG View Post
    makes sense, but why would earthworms want to be in a bog setting when in nature they never would? you'd think it'd be too wet for em and they'd want out.
    Probably, they're not in nature's bogs because earthworms can't swim very well On manmade bogs, they get a "unlimited" supply of food (as peat). So, it is like a earthworm's dream in a manmade bog/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nature's bogs arent all underwater though...or parts of a natural bog willl be higher above the waterlevel than others

how the hell does one stop worms from getting into an in-ground bog garden? imma have to hire me some robins to stand gaurd at the front line

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking bog!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That turned out nice. That's going to look amazing in August and September!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123