Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Humidifier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb DIY Humidifier

After some frustration with a cool mist humidifier and some failed make shift wick replacements I decided to put together a make shift humidifier myself using only materials I've had laying around the work bench from past experimentation with peltiers, bog gardens and water buckets.

Materials:

5 gallon bucket with lid
    Computer fan
    DC power supply
    Ultrasonic fogger
    5 gallon water jug
    Timer
    Vinyl tubing
    Electrical wires
    Quick connect adapter
    Straight valve
    Gorilla glue & hot glue
    Drill

I currently have it set for 30mins on and 30 mins off which keeps the humidity between 65%-70% when it's on during the day and 50%-60% when it's off. ~ 85% at night when the lights are off and the air gets a little more saturated. Ideally I would like to add a second fogger in the bucket to get the RH a little higher during the day time but I'm very happy with this set up as a first attempt for now.
    I'm currently modifying a large 5 gallon water dispenser jug into a reservoir to make this relatively maintenance free. The reservoir will help keep the water at an ideal level for a prolonged period of time for the fogger to properly work.

While with a single fogger the RH is slightly lower than what a room humidifier could accomplish, this system is extremely quiet, will have a much larger reservoir and can be made from just a few parts. Had I not had a DC power supply laying around I imagine a computer along with a modified cell phone charger would have worked as well. If you're looking to increase your RH give this method a try!

The bucket fills up with a thick fog but I had the fan turned on which sucks the fog out of the bucket. You can see the condensation on the bucket wall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See.. that'd be perfect for my needs. Getting sick of filling 2 humidifiers twice a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, I'm considering something similar but I'm not sure I like the idea of fog passing through the fan and on those wires.

Take a look at Kyles DIY Humidifier setup, his fan blows INTO the bucket through a 4" PVC elbow and fog blows OUT of the bucket through a separate length of PVC. No water or water vapor on the fan or fan wires. Just thinking of fire safety...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    See.. that'd be perfect for my needs. Getting sick of filling 2 humidifiers twice a day.
    Yes, same here, definitely an annoying repetitive process...

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Cool, I'm considering something similar but I'm not sure I like the idea of fog passing through the fan and on those wires.
    Definitely a good safety measure, where were you yesterday?! I didn't realize this until late last night after it had been running the all day. When I looked at the fan I noticed that the middle (where the green sticker is) is completely dry, unlike the sides which do accumulate the condensation. I was able to literally swab dry dust off of it. That said though if I had to redo this setup I would go ahead and definitely flip the fan. The only down side of that being the loss of air pressure to dissipate and push the fog out.
    For now, looking at the wires I think I will give them a coating of hot glue if to prevent any moisture from accumulating. I also checked the DC power supply and which will trip in case of a short. Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot glue isn't great when moisture is around, it detaches in high humidity.

See if you can find something called "Tool Dip" at the hardware store (if you can't find it ask 'em), this is a small can of liquid rubber that is used to seal tool handles in a rubber coating or seal wires. It cures to solid rubber when exposed to air, so you could paint that over the wires and connections and let it dry, that should waterproof it pretty well. If you can't locate that look for aquarium silicone and coat the wires in that. Tool Dip is nice cos it comes in colors and you can see if you've covered everything or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some epoxy and silicone laying around that sounds like it'll do the trick. I've actually got the entire fan hot glued in place on the lid. Hopefully will stick for some time. Hadn't heard of Tool Dip though, thanks for the tip!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess Tool Dip is only one brand out there here's a variety from ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

Good stuff to have onhand if you're gonna be doing any DIY wiring that involves water! LOL

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Something I heard that I would recommend trying is attaching a flotation system to the fogger which will allow a LOT more water while the fogger sits at the right level to make fog.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast