Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: University Bog Renovation (DUW)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnstuckinTime View Post
    I plan to add U. sandersonii down with the U. longifolia...
    Imo, U. longifolia should only be kept in a separated container (like hanging basket) as it will eventually infiltrate every square inch of the bog & resist every effort to eradicate it. Your successors will curse the day you placed it in there.

I love utrics but most are best shared from separate containers. Exceptions might be made for some of the epiphytes since they are normally easy to eliminate.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Imo, U. longifolia should only be kept in a separated container (like hanging basket) as it will eventually infiltrate every square inch of the bog & resist every effort to eradicate it. Your successors will curse the day you placed it in there.

I love utrics but most are best shared from separate containers. Exceptions might be made for some of the epiphytes since they are normally easy to eliminate.
    Yeah put something cuter in like nelumbifolia. Umbrellas!

And bombproof for a Sarracenia garden - it will infiltrate every square centimeter of the peat, but it just looks like realllly short grass: Utricularia bisquamata. Cute little purple/pink flowers:

In my minibogs in San Diego I have a Drosera spathulata x capensis - it gets a little smaller in the winter, but it pretty much just grows like a champ. D.filiformis red/Florida dies back despite the lack of cold (it only gets down to 45 at night over the winter) so I'm guessing it's maybe that and the daylight hours cues. P.gigantea keeps on growing throughout the winter and caught a TON of fungus gnats, and you might think about an infestation of pygmy drosera - D.roseana and D.scorpioides will grow like champs and re-gemmae themselves like weeds (you might lose the scorpioides if they gemmae because a lot of people do, but don't worry because they will re-gemmae themselves *all* over the place ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Yeah put something cuter in like nelumbifolia. Umbrellas!

...and you might think about an infestation of pygmy drosera - D.roseana and D.scorpioides will grow like champs and re-gemmae themselves like weeds
    Thez_yo,

I think if I could get my hands on some U. nelumbifolia, I'd keep it for myself LONG before I'd put it at the mercy of the University's greenhouse!

And I like the idea of the pygmy drosera. I put some D. nitidula x pulchella long ago, but it was lost when they stopped caring for it. I still have my plants, and they just produced gemmae. I'll have to see if there are any in there that aren't too far developed and put them around there.
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As things slowly wake up, I decide where they should go. And as things realize they're actually being grown in a way they like, the start to look better

This is the "wet" area. Here are low-growing Sarracenia, and Drosera, and Utricularia. Some Sarracenia plants include: Purpurea ssp. venosa, x 'Scarlet Belle,' x 'Love Bug,' and I think x 'Red Bug.'

N. x 'Ventrata' pitcher, it is developing so much faster than it did before it was in the Nepenthes Basket.

N. albomarginata pitcher

Around the Nepenthes Basket I have put some of the taller Sarracenia species. Alternating alata and leucophylla 'Tarnok' in the front, with flava all around the sides and back. Should look good as they all wake up.

My Grow List:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. albomarginata

N. truncata

N. sanguinea, this looks like it'll be a big one.

N. x 'Ventrata'

S. x 'Judith Hindle,' looking the best, first, for some reason. (Sorry this came out blurry)

My Grow List:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12