Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: University Bog Renovation (DUW)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

University Bog Renovation (DUW)

Hello Terraforums,

In my time at my university, I have watched the bog garden in the school's conservatory dwindle in health and fade. As an underclassmen, all I could do is try to weed sadly, or maybe pick off a few mealy bugs. At the same time, I have been fortunate enough to have been allowed some space for my larger Nepenthes specimens to grow. Now that I have senior status, I offered to spearhead a renovation project to show my appreciation for letting me grow my plants here to the head of the horticulture department, and he gladly accepted.
    So, here is a chronicle of the project thus far, I hope you enjoy it, and any constructive criticism and comments are very welcome!

The befores:

First step: Remove the top six inches or so of media

(My best friend doing some homework with me while I worked on this step)

Then, replace the soil. I put some terra-cotta pipe in there to try and make a shelf effect. Ideally, it would allow for a difference in soil saturation, but it will probably just be a visual thing.

Next, make the Nepenthes Basket. I lashed together these grid-baskets with some cable ties, and used a 1:2 perlite : sphagnum moss media to plant the Nepenthes in. Not too pretty, but should work. I might add in some coconut husk, or water-absorption crystals to help lengthen the time between waterings during the hot summer.

Now, where it is today. They had a lot, a LOT of Sarracenia in cold storage for the water. This is sort of unfortunate, since I was originally planning on scrapping the idea of including temperates, and just stick to bomb-proof tropicals. But I'm stuck with 'em. As they wake up, I will properly ID them and sink the pots where they would look best. Around them I will have proper tropicals- mostly sundews and mexican butterworts. I have in propagation from my personal collection D. filiformis 'Florida All Red' and D. binata, hopefully they'll survive the transition into this garden, whenever that'd be...

Overview

(They're all fairly beginner's plants, but if you want an ID, I'll answer in the comments!)

A little mound of mexican butterworts. Mostly P. x 'Tina' that I added to the original bog long ago, but they threw in some P. moctezumae.

Here's a sickly N. albomarginata that was on the brink of death under the care of the university , but since putting it in this Nepenthes Garden, it has almost finished it's first pitcher here, and a new growing tip is clearly visible next to where the old one rotted away.

On the west-facing side, I placed a D. prolifera, and a piece of U. longifolia, hoping they'll establish themselves nicely.

I'll be updating this as I make significant additions. Thanks for looking!
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Yes definitely update with some more photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look great, I wish my university would actually listen to what I tell them. Maybe they'd be successful with plants other than ficus
    So many plants...so little time

My grow list:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ody-s-Growlist

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! I'm hoping to speak to my university about starting a similar project, but I have yet to meet a faculty member who is involved in horticulture at PSU. Needless to say, I'd really like to gain some experience with greenhouses.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wowww Nice! Yeah it's even rougher when you're not even in the plant and soil sciences/botany field and you ask to help out in the greenhouse... they sorta just roll their eyes at you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very beautiful. Nice to see the progress an that you can show others the potential of these plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Wowww Nice! Yeah it's even rougher when you're not even in the plant and soil sciences/botany field and you ask to help out in the greenhouse... they sorta just roll their eyes at you
    I had the added advantage of working at a Botanic Garden in high school, and the Head of Horticulture there knew the Department of Horticulture Chair at URI, so, they were already talking about me before I even got there!!

But I'm usually no where near the greenhouses academically. Plant Sciences classes meet there, so like Propagation, Disease Management, etc, etc (more horticulture and that kinda thing) meanwhile I like to study plants on a more molecular level. Gene signaling pathways? I can't get enough. So when I'm walking around the greenhouse complex looking for string or something, I get a lot of funny looks since no where there recognizes me/knows who I am aside from the Department Head.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other "bomb proof" tropicals that would go in there nicely? There is already a ton of D. capensis, and those butterworts. I plan to add U. sandersonii down with the U. longifolia, D. filiformis 'Florida All Red' and D. binata. Maybe some P. lusitanica down the road as mine start to bloom and set seed.
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks awesome, great idea with the Nep rack. You'll have to go back and visit it when you leave, I bet it's going to look unreal in a couple of years! Maybe you could throw in some Helis or Cephs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast