Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Another cooling system

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just testing the cooler now with a closed 25 feet long loop and 3L of water in the system. I don't know how long it will be on and off. Unfortunately I did not have that much time during the day today to play with it. But I did notice that it takes a long time to cool after cold start. Thus I'm wondering if this is how all units behave or mine is just too old and needs more coolant (which at this point means it is going to go)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i went and grabbed one of these....says they are checked to make sure the units still perform so I can only hope it doesnt do a poor job cooling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...OC:MOTORS:3160

huzzah!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,

Well I finally finished putting my two four foot tanks together and installed the cooling system. So far so good. Temperatures today are around 30c, and the tank is staying strong at 23c. Here's some pics. The tank is almost 4 foot high.

Lights: Added another light for a total of 5 x 54 watt T5HOs. Lights are about twice as far from the plants now compared to when they were in the smaller tank. I might have to raise them some more or add another light or two. I'll see how it goes.

The Frankentank

Lowland tank is now in the closet. There are now 3 T5HOs above it instead of 4 cause I moved one over to the highland tank. Thinking of moving another since lowlands dont require as much light.

Last edited by robthered; 05-21-2012 at 08:50 AM.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    frankentank is awesome I like the homemade reflector for the t5s.

do you keep the lowland tank on the same light cycle as the highlands?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesG View Post
    frankentank is awesome I like the homemade reflector for the t5s.

do you keep the lowland tank on the same light cycle as the highlands?
    Hey MylesG,

Ya, both tanks run off the same light timer. They get 14 hours of light per day, and some that comes through the window in the morning.

Glad you like the super ghetto reflector. . I still gotta add another strip of aluminum foil to the other side.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    robthered,

This is an awesome setup! Thank you for inspiration!
    I am still working on mine (very slowly). Got a new watercooler yesterday. GE made, looks very similar to what Heli got, cools 0.53g/h according to specs and has a little fridge on the bottom (which I have turned off for now, but it can be potentially used to house the inline copper coil for additional cooling ). This little beast of a cooler consumes 4.7A of current when on and I see lights dim when it turns on momentarily.

The unit has two thermostats, one for water container and one for fridge. Fridge can be completely turned off via thermostat and I hear a click when it is rotated all the way counterclockwise (circuit permanently broken ).

The thermostat for the water container looks different. And although I am not sure if I need it yet as it cools water to 45-41F rather quick, I'd still like to know how to "fix it" so that it renders the compressor always "on" in case I'll get the external thermostat.

Below are the pictures.

As you can see there is no way I can screw something in there to jam the bimetallic strip and keep it on (or that little screw on the top?). So perhaps I can just unplug the two wires on the bottom of the thermostat and connect them together closing the circuit permanently?
    Last edited by gill_za; 05-24-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man this is making me all jittery for my cooler to arrive!!!

lower 40s is pretty dam good bet its gunna blow ur old one oudda the water performance wise!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, you got the exact same one as mine. Nice! Sadly while trying to get the thermo controller thing out I stripped one of the screws. Luckily by opening the top panel I am still able to access it. Btw how did you turn off the fridge, I dont know how. On another note, I have been doing some tests, I dumped large chunks of ice into the compressor and it got the tank down to 55 with an almost 80 degree room. After the ice melted the temps slowly went up to 60 though. So I think my only issue is bypassing the temp controller so that it is always on.