Likes Likes:  0
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Another cooling system

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heli,

If you unscrew the back panel on both sides of the unit you'll see a thermostat. Below I have detached the cooler thermostat:

In my case the one on the right is for the fridge (trace the white wire that leave the thermostat, it should go below the water container). Once you have figured out which is which, rotate the screw on the thermostat all the way to the left untill you hear a click. The bimetallic temperature sensing strip is at this point moved all the way to the side breaking the circuit and no matter what the temperature is it's going to remain open.

The other thermostat is the water cooler, turn it all the way clockwise, but dont force it if it's stop rotating. Cooler thermostat did not click. This way you are setting the temperature to the lowest possible setting. If you want to bypass it completely so that it is always on, I suspect connecting the two wires that lead to the thermostat together will essentially close the circuit permanently rendering it as "always on". Turn Off the unit before you do it!
    Last edited by gill_za; 05-24-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried closing the circuit with a wire but upon turning it on it made a loud popping noise (and a flash) so i turned it off immediatly.. im not sure whether it would work. Also, it appears that the fridge thermostat is also the water cooler thermstat here are some pics of it

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heli,

As I have mentioned I am not sure whether it is the best way of bypassing the thermostat. Let robthered comment.

But if you are willing to experiment:
    Disconnect the wires from the thermostat first (completely). Do not try to bypass the thermostat by attaching the wire between the contacts wile everything is plugged in. After you have disconnected the wires do not try to bridge them with anything thinner than the wires themselves. It is better if you could somehow connect wires one to another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wire nut might do the trick?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried yanking them out but they wouldnt budge. Hopefully like you said, robthered will enlighten us on the subject.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,

Sorry I've been really busy lately. I actually ditched the water cooler and made another contraption using a regular travel cooler, an AC and the pump, rad etc. The small reservoir of the water cooler wasn't enough to cool my 4 foot by 4 foot tank. I think the water cooler application is restricted to smaller setups. I'll get some pics soon. To sum it up quickly, I took the rad I had last summer (http://pages.videotron.com/beast/nav...0Terrarium.htm), stuck the AC Rad into the cooler, placed the pump in the cooler, hooked up the computer rad and that was pretty much it. It's working amazingly and I can get really low temps in my tank now and the AC hardly runs . It's 24c in the room, but the tank is 14c.

As for bypassing the thermostat, yours looks the same as mine except that mine had a visible switch that I just blocked to the on position with a screw.

In your case I think you can just cut the white wire. I'm pretty sure it's the probe that leads into the reservoir, so if you cut it, then it'll I think that will do the trick. Or if you can trace the wire, you might be able to disconnect it from wherever it's connecting to.

*disclaimer* I hold no liability to whatever happens to your cooler - just had to put that out there heh.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha you've moved onto bigger n better setup already! cant wait to see it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged