Likes Likes:  0
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Another cooling system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all,

Well, here are the pics of my new contraption. It's working out great! The old water cooler idea didnt work out cause I think my setup is too large now. Anyway, now that I have about 12 liters of water in the res, it takes a long time for the water to warm up, and therefore the AC hardly ever turns on. It's turning out to be really effiecent. My AC only runs once or two an hour at the most for a 2-3 minute interval. The water temps are holding strong in the cooler. Yesterday it was about 33C while the tank was a cool 23c. Moreover, during the evening the temps were about 26c in the room, while the temp of the tank was 14c . Temp drop is gradual too which I think the plants are really enjoying compared to last year, when I had the AC coil directly in the tank (it would drop the RH a lot and the temps would change +10c in less than 5 minutes lol). The plants lived but I dont think they enjoyed their summer last year. The new cooling setup it great! The RH hardly drops when the cooling kicks in and the temp drops are slow enough that the plants are shocked.

Anyway, onto the pics

Here's a pic showing the general setup. I need to get longer tubing and some new tube insulation. I had cut the current tubing to length for use with the water cooler, but now that I'm using the AC I need longer tubes. So for now the whole setup it really close to the window lol.
    cooling setup

Here's the setup from another angle.
    New cooler

The water temp in the cooler. It's usually 5c-10c.
    water temp

The thermostat setting for the AC/cooler.
    water thermostat

Here I cut a section out of the cooler so that I could close the lid with the element inside it.
    cooling element in cooler

Here's the whole setup. Like i said i need longer tubing, plus I;m getting some new chain to hang the lights right above the top of the tank. They're a little to far for my liking at the moment.
    whole setup

Temp in the tank about 10 minutes ago.
    tank temp

As you may know already I'm not one for clean looking setups lol.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pfffft screw clean looking setups, im in it for setups that perform and perform well. I think you got that down with this contraption

as always, you rock curious how much juice this'll use over time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesG View Post
    pfffft screw clean looking setups, im in it for setups that perform and perform well. I think you got that down with this contraption

as always, you rock curious how much juice this'll use over time
    Thanks for the kudos.

Shouldn't cost much.last summer it cost me about fourty to fifty bucks total to run my setup, and that was with the ac rad directly in the tank. The ac ran four to five times as often than compared to my new setup. so i'd assume the cost would be around ten bucks. mind u Canadian hydro prices are a lot lower than the states I think.

sent from my android
    Last edited by robthered; 05-26-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in the room i will be growing in, there is going to be an A/C running for summer anyway keeping the room about 70-75 so i hope that my system wont have to work to to hard keeping nights 50-60. The seller on ebay told me he runs the units 7 days straight before shipping out so I guess tis a good thing that it is taking so long to arrive. Id ratehr it work well than get here a week faster n poop out on me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to show how effective this thing is..... my house got to a nice and toasty 95 today while my tank was at a cool 77. With my ac at night im able to get temps of 55 even with these temps...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats impressive my water coolor is shipping out tomorrow!!! oh happy day. willl have my setup done in a week if all goes well

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have finished assembling the cooler and placed the radiator into the lowest shelf where i keep all the utricularia (terrestrial and epiphytic). At the moment the cooler is set to "factory" thermostat setting. I am trying to see if this would be enough to cool the shelf down. The most obvious problem I forsee is the fact that the shelf is not completely isolated (although not for the lack of trying).

that hole where the tubing enters is now mostly closed.

The fan is currently set to 9V.

The humidifier that is plugged in into the same shelf

Cooler itself

Temperature after the pump was started jumped from 45F to 57F.

Im am not home right now. But while i was there the temperature in the tank climbed all the way to 63F. The temperature in the shelf dropped from 81F to 78F while the thermometer was close to the raditor. I have moved the thermometer further away before leaving and will check on it later.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you rig the temp controller so its always on? I cant really read what you wrote because that damn ad squishes the text