0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah... seams like u def gunna have to get it to cool lower

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if the shelf gradualy cools down to 77 with light on, i won't need to lower the thermostat setting. Also, i need to see if the night temperature drops to lower 60 or high 50.

with lowest thermostat setting water starts to freeze. Anyway, more observation is needed. Right before I left the radiator started to condense moisture like mad.

I forgot to mention. Im using 10' of ID 1/2 copper tubing on the return line. In addition the pump was switched from 100gph to 200gph. I may switch the fan to 12V later. Right now all the fans are plugged into the same adjustable 12V 2.5A power supply and are set to 9V.

@Heli,

Nope, I returned it to the settings that it was on when I got the cooler. But with the pump on so far the cooler hasn't turned off for 2 hours...
    Last edited by gill_za; 05-29-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gill_za

I noticed the same thing with my cooler. It couldn't keep up with the heat dissipation of the radiator. Once the pump turned on the water temp would rise and the compressor would run all day trying to catch up. You should try sealing the top off with some sort of insulation. Also the shorter the tubes, the better it will be. If anything else, add coolant and turn that baby all the way down.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robthered View Post
    Hey Gill_za

I noticed the same thing with my cooler. It couldn't keep up with the heat dissipation of the radiator. Once the pump turned on the water temp would rise and the compressor would run all day trying to catch up. You should try sealing the top off with some sort of insulation. Also the shorter the tubes, the better it will be. If anything else, add coolant and turn that baby all the way down.
    At this point the cooler's compresor has reached its peak capacity. Even if I turn the thermostat all the way down it will unfortunately not help me lower the temperature of the coolant because the compressor is working non stop anyway. Thermostat only tells the compressor to stop when a certain temperature is reached, but if that temperature is not reached (as in my case) it will just continue working. Too much heat bleeds in into the shelf and is transfered into the coolers tank. Compressor is just too weak to compensate, you are right.

I gave up on cooling the shelf and have just removed the radiator from the shelf (flooding the floor around in the process). It is now installed in an empty 55G aquarium with the top sealed (reflective bubblewrap).
    So far
    temperature inside the aquarium is: 64F
    temperature in the room is 78F
    temperature of the water in the tank is 56F.

I am going to wait and see if the difference between the room temperature and tanks temperature will increase. In addition I'm planning on ordering this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185054 to increase the heat transfer rate and perhaps wrap the tank with reflective bubblewrap. If all this fails I will start thinking about alternatives (or smaller tank).

Thank you.

P.S.: Just checked
    Room temp: 80F
    Aquarium temp 60F
    Water temp NA
    Last edited by gill_za; 05-31-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey y'all - so with summer pretty much in full swing, I've noticed the same thing as you. My tank stays right around 78F during the day and can get down to 62-65 at night with my cooler running and the Peltier helping it out. But it runs pretty much constantly overnight now.

On Monday (which was hot as hell up here in the Northeast) my cooling rig was actually running non-stop all day trying to keep temps down. Temperatures maxed at about 80F while my Hygrotherm is set to kick on at 77F... kind of concerning. But considering that it was approaching 90F in the room and that I've got four hot T5HOs running above the completely enclosed terrarium, I'll call that a win.

If my terrarium were any bigger I'd be up a creek! I'm also glad that all of my Neps in my terrarium are either intermediate or intermediate/HL hybrids. If I had splurged on a pricy UHL Nep it might have croaked by now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got my cooler and have a question... what size part do i need to attach the hose to the threads that the spigot come off of? i unscrewed them and got 1/2 inch to 3/8 barb connects and they were too large. So mad at myself for assuming!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also, do you guys think the pump running while submerged in the water may be heating it up reducing the efficiency?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesG View Post
    also, do you guys think the pump running while submerged in the water may be heating it up reducing the efficiency?
    Quick check this morning:

Placed the 200gph pump into a 1gal aquarium (without tubing of-course, so it would be circuiting the water inside it) and about 10 minutes later saw no change in the temperature.