Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Another cooling system

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been following this with great interest, and strictly from an engineering point of view.....

I would assume that the compressor and condenser coil (Which has to remove the heat from the system) have been sized based on providing cold drinking water (short, intermittent use)
    Asking it to do much more than that would be a stretch..... the engineers would have selected the components based on the design application cost effectiveness with some (but not much) "service factor" overdesign. You have to design a product to do a job and do it as cheaply as possible in order to be competitive or you fail.

Just my 2 cents.... I dont want to rain on anyone's parade and it may work great. However, commonly accepted design philosophy would cause me to wonder for how long if so. I would imagine your high side pressures are excessive due to excessive system loading.

You might try adding addtional airflow to the condenser coil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butch, I'd have to agree with you. This is by no means the ideal system but its a cheap way that works for smaller gorw areas. If I had the money, I'd spend it on an aquarium/hydroponic water chiller capable of some serious cooling.

I think I will try setting a fan to blow across the condenser coil in back. Its completely exposed and perhaps I could even set the back of the cooler near to my window AC unit to get cold air right on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gill_za, good to know. My pump came with optional barbs for both intake and the pressure end. I was thinking I could set the pump on top of the cooler and keep it out of the rez if itd keep it a bit cooler.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also thought about using that lower compartment that is a little refrigirator for additional cooling. I'm thinking of putting a copper coil in there and run output water through it before reaching the radiator. Although I turned that refrigerators' thermostat to off it is still cooling. Both the water cooler and the refrigerator use the same compressor after all.

In addition I have installed the 120mm fan onto the condenser in the back right across the compartment with the compressor to pull the hot air away from both. I may try and use my bigger honeywell fan to cool the condenser coils as well.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for now I have added a 15' copper coil into the lower refrigerator compartment of the water cooler I have. The water from the water cooler gets pumped out and passes through the coils in the refrigerator on its way to the radiator for additional cooling. The returning water from the radiator passes through a 10' cooper coil that is placed in the water cooler itself. Unfortunately I can only get 10F difference (in this thread the thermometer was too close to the radiator) in the temperature (with no additional external heating source such as lights). I have noticed however that there is still some heat I could shed in the bottom refrigerator as the temperature even with coil inside stays at 50F while the temperature in the top water cooler is 65F, 67F with 80F in the room.

av8tor1, I was wondering does it mater which line I'm running through the bottom cooler at this point, to_the_radiator or from_the_radiator? I'm still putting the same load on the system?

Three possible improvements to squeeze more juice out of the system that I see so far are:
    1) Obviously I need to insulate the tank.
    2) Run both to_the_radiator and from_the_radiator lines through the bottom refrigerator
    3) Increase the length of the copper coils placed in the radiator.

Pardon the mess, this is work in progress

Cooler

I took off the door for now and instead paced that slab of styrofoam. Wasn't ready to drill the door just yet.

Puuling the hot air from the compressor compartment:

Copper coil in the water cooler:
    Last edited by gill_za; 06-04-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gill, Im not sure it answers your quesiton but....

When it comes to heat exchangers you usually want to counter flow..... in other words heat transfer is proportional to temperature differential. You want the hottest part of region "A" to be in contact with the coldest part of region "B" for highest energy transfer.

On thing i would look at is the copper tubing, that is very inefficient..... the only transfer going on is the small liquid boundary layer that is in contact with the copper. This is why most heat exhangers have multiple "flattened" passages instead of a singular tubular passage.

I would think another heater core/heat exhanger or (rolls eyes lol) "rad" would be a better alternative to a few coils of copper tubing, but that is just an educated guesstimate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_exchanger
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 06-04-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: add wiki link

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Av8tor1,

Thank you! It makes perfect sense actually. I was thinking along the same lines yesterday imagining the flow of heat like the flow of air from the high pressure areas to low pressure areas. The bigger the difference in pressure the stronger the flow

As it happens I have another heat exchanger lying around. So would you recommend sticking it into he reservoir with water and just pump returning warmer water through it (instead of the coils that are there now), or perhaps putting it into the refrigerator compartment, attaching a fan and running it this way instead?

Flattening the coils... hmm knowing myself Ill probably mess up and block it accidentally. I'll try that as well.

Thank you!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, i edited out the flattening of coils comment LOL.....

Gill, dont know for sure mate..... but a few copper coils are very ineffiicent

Either way would be an improvement IMHO....